General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Colonial Beach Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-14 12:29 PM

Subject: Colonial Beach Triathlon
I'm planning my first triathlon and I was considering Colonial Beach this July. Any reviews feedback, the website has little info unfortunately.

Any info would be appreciated

2009-05-14 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2150875

User image

Veteran
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: Colonial Beach Triathlon
I've done it a couple times (last time was 2006, i think). Its a nice, smallish race. No big frills or anything. The swim isn't bad. I had trouble with the current the last time, but its nothing too hard. The bike has some rolling hills, but isn't impossible. The run is mind-numbingly flat, and not very shaded. But there are retired folks out and and about in golf carts cheering you on. Afterwards they serve Little Caesars pizza in a church hall.

I've always had a fun time at this race..i'm planning on doing it this year if i can fit it in between family obligations.
2009-05-15 6:24 AM

User image

Veteran
King George, VA

It's a shame they have not promoted this event more.  I live 20' away, and I've done it once.   Like megger said, it's a fairly easy course.  The bike is an out and back with the back being more downhill, which I like.  It's also a shorter course; the swim has been way short, the run is only 6 mi (flat, mostly unshaded and hot).  There was one ol timer with a misting fan on the course, which was nice.  There can be issues with algae blooms and sometimes sea nettles from what I understand, but they will du it up if it is unsafe.  AND there was beer at the end, big plus!  I should be able to do it this year if they get their act together.

2009-05-17 9:05 PM

Williamsburg VA
I did this one last year. Good race. Relatively inexpensive and a very fast course. Bike is gently rolling and very fast. Hot run, but it is only 6 miles. I would recommend the race if it fits your schedule and goals.
2009-05-17 10:12 PM

Thanks a lot for the reviews. I'm still debating whether I should do the Montclair Triathlon or the Colonial Beach. I'd prefer my first tri to be with a well organized event, and it seems Montclair might be a slightly more organized than Colonial. Anyone done both?

Thanks again.

2009-05-18 8:28 PM

Williamsburg VA
I haven't done Montclair, but don't get the wrong idea about Colonial Beach. It was well supported.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Colonial Beach Triathlon Rss Feed