SheRox
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 16s
Overall Rank = 892/1665
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 159/258
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 AM and was totally grateful that my breakfast and transition bag were in the car. I felt so totally organized compared to my friends doing their first tri! Focused on helping them get going and basking in their anticipation all while hoping I'd make a good showing and not be embarrassed. Headed over to Wilderness Lodge and hustled though setting up my area, then running to get water from the lake for everyone's 'foot baths.' Having been there for 2 races already, I knew were the real restrooms were and avoided the porta-potties. It was great to take a giant dump in the men's room!

Some reflections of the walk to the start: overhearing a girl say that she had forgotten her helmet and was going to rush to the hotel to get it, hearing another girl say that she *just knew* her tire was leaking but didn't replace it before today, lots of purple tri-him shirts

Didn't run into the group until they called us to line up
Swim
  • 23m 20s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I looked over at the water and was so happy that it was only a sprint today! Wished my friends luck and did a few deep breaths. I lined up in the second row (unfortunately right behind a breast-stroker!) My goal for the swim was to freestyle the whole swim and not breast-stroke except for the occasional sighting. Found myself just to the left of the first turn buoy and had to go back around it. Halfway, I was at 11 min and I ran right into a surfboard. Why would they be in the MIDDLE of the path of swimmers? Kept plugging along and met my goal. I think I only had about 10 breast strokes total. This was a nice pay-off for all the swimming I've been doing lately.
What would you do differently?:

Push a tiny bit harder.Sight better
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

Sheila passed me running to transition. I didn't jog much. . . I need to get better at post-swim transition runs. I wish I had practiced the rubber bands to shoes cuz I had a long, long run with my bike. At least it was mostly on mulch.

Run.
Bike
  • 43m 22s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.60 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was very windy and it took until about mile 2 before I could get up to any decent speed. Then I turned into one of those 'on your left' shouting nazis. There were a few people that passed me, but it just seemed like I was constantly passing people....like driving! I can't control myself on the bike at all. Every time I looked down, my speed was 20 or so. I tried being a good girl during the 'no passing' zone, but I just couldn't help myself when I slipped by one mountain bike, then another. Technically, I know I was cheating....but I don't think I could stay upright on my bike going a mere 6mph. So, REALLY, it was because of SAFETY that I passed. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!) Just like the 70.3, they made us U-turn right after a downhill. Looked for my friends on the way back, but I never saw anyone.

I wish I had marked a point in my mind for where to take my shoes off my feet. I took them off way too early and did the last mile with my feet on top.
Transition 2
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Took time to put on my socks in T2. As I was heading out, the girl next to me #703 racked her mountain bike with her GIANT pedals right next to mine. Except that she didn't rack it, she just leaned it on the rack and said "I can never lift it up to the bar." I should have taken an extra minute and helped her secure her bike because the whole run all I could think about was her big pedals breaking my spokes and having to suffer through the ms-150 next weekend.
Run
  • 42m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was a really good course....lots of shade and no lawn-mowing! I had some emotional moments out there...remembering being in last place after the 2nd loop of the 70.3, but having the stamina to surge ahead of a few folks and remember how proud of myself I was on that day....also thought a LOT about Christine. That was the site of her last race. I kept expecting a blue-shirt girl to pass me with a sponge on each shoulder.

I wish I could push harder....I think sometimes I 'race' the bike, but then chill and walk too much during the run. I need to remember the race isn't OVER when I get to the run!
Post race
Warm down:

Waited around for my friends to finish (YAY---a FIRST for me!), Tried sneaking back into transition to get my camera but they wouldn't let me in. Waited at the meeting spot, but I should have camped at a place to see my girls come in.

Event comments:

Danskin is SOOOO good for the ego! When I registered this year, I said it would be my last Danskin race, but I had so much fun this weekend, that I know I'll do it again. I'm really glad they upped the distances to a full sprint and the run course they chose through Ft. Wilderness was great!

Last updated: 2009-02-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:20 | 875 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 150/258
Overall: 928/1665
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: