General Discussion Race Reports! » St Croix International Triathlon 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St Croix International Triathlon 70.3 - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Christiansted, VI
Virgin Islands, U.S.
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 50m 53s
Overall Rank = 372/524
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 46/65
Pre-race routine:

This was my fourth time completing, not necessarily competeing this course, and my second time putting forth an effort to train for it. The first time was in 2006 when I stupidly took two salt pills the night before and one before the race, and suffered massaive cramps just swimming over to the start. Why would you say I'd do that? Well, we'll chauk that one up to inexperience and pannic about the weather/humidity conditions (92 deg, 0-5mph winds, and 78% relative humidity) which were, to put it delicately, "fracking" hot!

So, here it is this year and the conditions looking way better than those of the past in terms of humidity and temp. However, the winds were predicted -and look true- at 21mph with gusts to 24, making for an interesting bike ride. Well, it turned out quite nice, although a little bit breezy :-)..

My pre-race routine? Well, as like most years living on St Croix I loved when the tri-season came through. It was like heaven on Earth.. babes and bikes I called it aka Beauty and the Beast... haha.. I would assist Jamie with building up and tuning bikes for the triathles, and that was the best time. So, i thought I would do that this year even though I was advised to stay off my feet. My downfall wouldn't be working on bikes, which I loved, but was not keeping up with my nutrition; ESPECIALLY my hydration. I was unknowing reverting to my bad diet habbits with junk, lots of coffee and very little water. I did do some stretching and some light running, but basically negelected self. I would lern yet another rookie leason.

On thursday, I along with some nearly 200 triathles jumped into the rough and windy waters of Christiansted. I started out and felt ok, entering the starting blocks. Myself and this other guy from Spain in my age group hung together and strugled through it. It took us 21 mins to get to the first half and 33 mins to get back. To say that there was a slight rip tide would be an understatement. i felt like I was in a washing machine. It was like: stroke, stroke, stroke, breath.. wait a minute, i'm still over the same patch of seaweed.
Event warmup:

I did a short run for a mile or so before entering the water for the crossing to the start. Legs were feeling heavy but was able to trun them over ok... I got into the water and was like "WTF?" I am so screwed... Although my form felt okay I was feeling tired... weird.
Swim
  • 48m 8s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

The conditions were not too bad.. better than both training swims.
What would you do differently?:

Spend a lot more time in the pool training, especially swim-bike bricks.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

At this time my heart rate is at 168 bpm.. high... quads are a bit spent from that horid swim, and I'm running purely on the high from the shouts from my friends in the crowds at T1... woo hoo.. still having fun...Got swim cap and goggles off well.. shirt and shoes were not too bad, but spent a few on getting shoes tight enough..

Work on having shoes on bike and getting feet in while riding...
Bike
  • 3h 31m 28s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.89 mile/hr
Comments:

At this time my heart rate is at 168 bpm.. high... quads are a bit spent from that horid swim, and I'm running purely on the high from the shouts from my friends in the crowds at T1... woo hoo.. still having fun...

Spend some time to get familiar with my bike or get a carbon frame from St Croix roads.. I trained for a 2:50 bike split and got a 3:30..
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Couldn't get bike shoes off because ot velcro.. thought I would just pull off but stupidly sat there fighting with rather than taking off all straps. Running shoes went on a bit better but because feet were a bit swolen from hitting a rock at the swim it was a little bit difficult getting my feet into the shoes...

get better bike shoes, single strap.. Pearl Izumi's molded carbons..
Run
  • 2h 31m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a bit painful getting out.. I made the first mile or so before I had to stop and walk because of massive cramps in my quads and calves.. not a good start. It just seemed that I couldn't drink enough.

Spend a lot more time focusing on bike run bricks.. longer runs and more frequent runs... more distance.. I did more short quick runs...
Post race
Warm down:

Bear, wine and food.. Thanks to Carol and Scott we had a great dinner at the house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dehydration or not enough water prior to the race. Also, poor diet the days prior to race day...

Event comments:

Thanks goes out to Tom, volunteers, and race personell, spectators and God for settling down the winds. It could have been a lot worse.

Last updated: 2008-09-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:08 | 2112 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 60/65
Overall: 60/524
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: "The race starts by swimming directly toward the transition area for 150 meters, before turning left and following the same large triangular course as before. It's a loop through Christiansted Harbour with a finish at the wharf area. The course will be marked by small orange and white buoys on your right and sailboarders on your left. Competitors shall exit the water by a specially built ramp at the finish line. The swim begins on the beach at the Hotel on the Cay. All athletes swim to the Start Area. All competitors should be in the starting area by 6:00 am. Spectators will not be allowed onto the island. You will be started in waves."
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:31:28 | 56 miles | 15.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 45/65
Overall: 343/524
heart rate chest band was inoperable when I got there so I didn't have that data... Also, cadence was inop so that was a disaster..
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: "From the transition area you are going to make an 8-mile loop that begins as you ride east on Hospital Street, which turns into East End Road (Rt. 82). Ride out on East End Road until you get to Southgate Road. Turn right and ride south until you reach Great Pond (Rt. 624). You will be riding in the RIGHT LANE of Rt. 624 for .75 or a mile. Turn right and ride west until Lowry Hill Road. . Turn right at Lowry Hill Rd. (Rt. 62), which will take you back onto East End Road where you will make a hard left onto the left-hand side of the road. Exercise caution here, as oncoming bike traffic is heading out in the right-hand lane to begin the loop. Take East End Road back through Christiansted past the transition area and turn left on King Street. At Strand Lane, take a very sharp right turn - this will put you on a very tight bit of roadway, so be very careful - go one block and take a sharp left turn onto Strand Street. This is the "Hot Corner". Be extremely careful on this part of the course. It is a very fast, slightly downhill section on a narrow roadway. Turn right at Prince Street and left at Watergut, which turns into Soboetker Lane. Follow Soboetker Lane and turn right onto Rt. 75, which becomes Northside Road, until you come to Northshore Road (Rt. 80), You're going to to take a sharp, downhill right turn onto Northshore Road (stay left) and follow it until you come to Rt. 69 (Parasol Hill). Turn left and proceed up "The Beast". Twenty-one miles into the bike, The Beast is a 600-foot climb in a stretch of highway 7/10 of a mile long with an average grade of 14 percent and a maximum grade of 21 percent. You should prepare yourself for this challenge by following the suggested gearing: Pros - 24 or higher. Accomplished - 26 or higher. Average cyclists - 26 or higher with a 39 or 42 chainring. The descent from the Beast features a twisty section of road, with a sharp left hand turn at the bottom - BE CAREFUL. Turn left at Midland Road. Turn right on Rt. 669. Continue straight across at Rt. 70 intersection (make sure to come to a complete stop during training). Turn right after last speed bump. Turn left onto Rt. 66 (Melvin Evens Highway). Follow the highway past the Sunny Isle Shopping Center (which will be on your left). Follow Rt. 70 until the intersection of Rt. 62, where you will go straight. BE EXTREMELLY CAREFUL AT THIS INTESECTION DURING TRAINING. IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU COME TO A COMPLETE STOP BEFORE CROSSING AT THIS POINT. Continue traveling eastbound on Rt. 62. Take a right turn on Rt. 624. DURING THE RACE YOU WILL BE RIDING IN THE RIGHT LANE FOR .75 OF A MILE. Turn right on Rt. 60, where you will return to the left lane. At the entrance to Cramers Park, turn left on Rt. 82. Turn left at Southgate Rd., and right onto Rt. 624, where YOU WILL BE RIDING IN THE RIGHT LAND FOR .75 MILE. Turn right on Rt. 62, where you will again climb Lowry Hill. Turn left towards Christiansted. You must stay in the coned lane on extreme left side of the road. Returning to the Transition Area, you will dismount approximately 50 meters before the entrance, where CYCLISTS MUST GIVE RIGHT OF WAY TO RUNNERS. Bikes must be walked into the transition area."
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
02:31:18 | 13.1 miles | 11m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/65
Overall: 397/524
Again had no heart rate data, only had my watch to go by...
Course: "After exiting the transition area you will run up a grassy bank, and turn right onto a parking lot road which intersects Hospital Street. Turn left, at Hospital Street, which turns into East End Road (Rt. 82). The Bike and Run will share Hospital Street and East End Road from the transition area area until Lowry Hill Road (Rt. 62). Use caution in this area. Keep left. Take East End Road until you reach the Buccaneer Hotel where the course will turn left onto a 2 mile loop through the hotel grounds. The loop exits back onto East End Road where you will return to Christiansted and make a first loop turnaround on Hospital Street and head out again to the Buccaneer. Make the same loop through the Buccaneer and return to Christiansted. When finishing the second loop turn left on Company Street, right at Prince Street, and final right turn down King Street. LOCATION OF AID STATIONS: Start/Finish - There will be four aid stations in the start/finish area - swim finish; run out; and overall finish. Athletes should fill water bottles before departing for the start area at the Hotel on the Cay. Bike Course - There will be 4 aid stations along the bike course - miles 11, 21, 31, and 43. The Sprint course has no bike aid stations. Run Course - Run aid stations will be located approximately every 6/10 of a mile along the 21km (13.1mile) course. This holds true for the Sprint as well."
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %5
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-15 2:04 PM

User image

New user

Burlington, NJ
Subject: St Croix International Triathlon 70.3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St Croix International Triathlon 70.3 Rss Feed