Yellow Jacket Racking
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 36s
Overall Rank = 66/110
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was more of a "C" race for me. I didnt truly taper for it. I set the alarm for my normal weekday wakeup time of 6:30, though I woke up a few minutes beforehand on my own. I had my typical breakfast of a bowl of cereal. I had the car packed the night before, but I stopped into Bruggers on the way over for some coffee. I got to the race site about 7:20. I went to the lodge to check in, got my number, then got my chip. Back to the car for my bike and stuff. Pumped up the tires, then took the bike out for a quick spin to make sure it was working fine. Grabbed my bag, walked to transition and got a good spot.

About that time, I bumped into Jackie. We chatted for a bit.
Event warmup:

I jogged across the field, went up the steep hill, and back around to refamiliarize myself with the end part of the course. Made a couple of Bobbystock breaks as I was worried about GI issues. They turned out fine.

Chatted some more with Jackie. We hooked up with Ken for awhile. Listened to my ipod with my 90 BPM playlist with the hope that my legs would remember that cadence come run time.
Run
  • 17m 47s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

We all start in this big group. I seeded myself at the back, knowing I'm a relatively slow runner. We all start out and the pack charges across the field. I got caught up in the charge and pushed the pace too much. I felt fine during this run, but knew in the back of my head I was going too hard.

About 1/2 way through I was running next to a woman. We started chatting a bit. It turns out, she just moved back here after spending about 12 years in Nashville. I grew up in Nashville so that was very odd to find someone in those circumstances. Anyway, I pulled ahead of her as we ran down the hill to transition. Don't think I saw her again.
What would you do differently?:

Slow down the pace a touch.
Transition 1
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

All my transitions seemed to go well. I put on my helmet and sunglasses. Swapped shoes. Ran for the exit. Surprisingly efficient.

Nothing
Bike
  • 31m 15s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I did not get passed on the bike the entire race. Not once. Of course, when you're near the end of all the runners, the potential field of passers is minimized. But i ended up passing 2 to 3 dozen people on this leg. Its a touch intoxicating. Boom, picked off one. Ok, who's next. THere he is. Go get him. He's down, lets get that lady there next. All the way through. And of course I pushed too hard. I probably should have scaled it back a touch.

The wind was a big, big factor. Especially going south. I tried to stay in aero most of the time to minimize wind drag. I was generally effective at that.

Slow down a touch. I went too hard this leg. I got caught up in passing all these people. That was fun, but it came down to haunt me later.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

No problems

Nothing
Run
  • 08m 59s
  • 1 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I could feel my hamstrings as I got off the bike. They were nipping me as I ran across the field. They loosened up though and I did ok. I was very glad to hit the turnaround for the 1 mile course. I could feel fatigue starting to set in.

Nothing
Transition 3
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Another decent transition. No idea why it was slower than the first.

Nothing
Bike
  • 32m 35s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I was definitely feeling fatigue on this leg. I tried telling myself that I'm a spin instructor. I got the goods on the bike. Lets go, bud. Get moving. I just didnt have quite the pop or explosion that I had on the first bike. I passed more people. But the race was pretty strung out by now. So only about 10. THis included some people doing the sprint.

My lower back started barking at me about midway through. I'm just not conditioned to be in aero as much as I was. And my lower back is where i usually feel it first.

Overall, though, I pushed hard and gave it what I had on this leg. .

Not much
Transition 4
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

A good transition.
Run
  • 18m 35s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I was suffering on this run. My breathing was very, very hard, despite not going very fast. I speculated just how low my VO2 max must be. I really don't hold much air in my lungs. But such as it is. Don't know what can realistically be done about it.

I had a general sense of fatigue this leg. The breathing was tough, as mentioned. I actually had to walk stretches of it to settle myself down. I actually have no idea how I averaged the pace I did on this leg. I fully expected to be slower than 10 minute miles. It was that pathetic feeling. And that much walking. But I gave it what I had to the finish and crossed the line as strong as I could.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Chat with Jackie and Jochen.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Significant lack of run training and actual bike training. I have very few rides longer than 10 miles this year. Two I think. And my longest run this year has been 3.6 miles. So this is a way of saying that i was very under-prepared for a longer race like this. I was fairly strong on the first 2 legs where my training has been. But it was abundantly clear that I need to get in some longer sessions if I expect to do more than sprints this year.

I knew this ahead of time. And I planned on pacing it easy the first couple of legs. But i didnt do it. I went out too hard on both the first bike and run legs. I was absolutely done at the end. The last 2 miles were a sufferfest.

Event comments:

This is a good, fun race. Yellowjacket does a solid job. THere were plenty of volunteers and things ran on time.

Last updated: 2009-05-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:47 | 02 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/110
Performance:
Course: Trails. The first 1.75 miles are rolling, but nothing too steep. The last quarter has some significant climbs.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:33
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:31:15 | 10 miles | 19.20 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: Roughly in a box. A hill out of the park. A quick jot north. Turn east. THen a lengthly stretch going south into a strong headwind. The road curves back to the west and gets the wind coming at a cross. Turn north with a good wind behind. A fair stretch before turning back east into the park. The road eventually turns back north and back down to transition. It is rather hilly throughout.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:08:59 | 01 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T3
Time: 00:41
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Biking
00:32:35 | 10 miles | 18.41 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T4
Time: 00:34
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Running
00:18:35 | 02 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-16 7:50 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon

2009-05-17 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2155356

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon

Nice race Rob!!! Your biking is in good shape and the run is pretty good considering what you have gone through with it! Great job!

2009-05-17 6:39 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Great race! 

2009-05-18 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
You did great (even though you didn't beat me ha ha!).  Your biking is in good shape from all your spinning I'm sure so I wasn't surprised at that but with all your foot issues etc you did amazing on the runs (and far too close for comfort!)
2009-05-18 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Nice job Rob!  Your biking is awesome, maybe I need to become a spin instructor.  ha, ha, ha.
2009-05-19 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Nice job Rob!  It's great you are getting back into racing after all the issues you've had with injury recovery.  I know how you feel about passing people, but on the run only.  No idea how it feels passing lots of people on the bike.  no idea whatsoever.  Smile
Nice race! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochester Spring Classic Duathlon Rss Feed