Tri4gold
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 33m 8s
Overall Rank = 106/312
Age Group = 35-39 (see note
Age Group Rank = 21/50
Pre-race routine:

The biggest thing was seeing my chiro/holistic doctor on Friday for an adjustment and a look at my right knee/leg/IT band. Pain from Gulf Coast last weekend hadn't been easing up despite a very easy week of two 45 minute spins on my bike trainer. Well, Dr Sun worked his magic and seemed to get me adjusted, but he said the muscles and stuff could take a few days to calm down and told me to stop the race if I had a flare up.
Race morning, up at 4 am for a 4:30 departure. Double espresso, Greek yogurt, and banana before leaving the house. Then just sipped water while driving down to PTC.
I parked, registered, body marked, and set up transition while there was still hardly anyone there yet.
***Here is were I will note that this is my fourth tri of the season, and for each I've had to change divisions from Clyde to AG 35-39. In December when I did all my registering, I was 217 pounds. But since working with my coach, I've dropped to 190, and therefore have had to change my standing in divisions. Well, upon looking at results, I saw to my dismay that I was not changed officially. Furthermore, I podiumed in the Clyde division, and had to email the RD to make her aware of the situation, and that the next racer truely was third, and needs his acknowledgement with the award. So I went back to the result page to find out where I should have been in the 35-39 AG and will be giving those rankings here in my report.
Event warmup:

Quick 10 minute jog before putting on wetsuit. Then got submerged in the suit and took a few strokes just to make sure all was right (see my RR from the Showdown at Sundown for my wetsuit debacle). Then just got in line for the start, and GO!
Swim
  • 26m 16s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

OK, this was the beginning of a weird race. After getting in the water and getting in to some stroking, I had the most horrible thoughts of just quitting. I'd never DNF'ed before, but the toll Gulf Coast took on me, plus thinking about my right leg making this a replay of last week put some nasty thoughts in my head. But I guess training and the triathletes instinct took over and I decided to put all time goals aside and just take it easy and race. I just began swimming with good form and before I knew it I fell into a beautiful pattern of breathing and stroking, and before I knew it, was passing hordes of swimmers.
Because of this, the swim passed very quickly for me as I was having fun for once during this segment.
Oh, let me vent as one who follows rules. I was one of the few racers I saw actually swim to the left of the last two buoys. I couldn't believe my eyes at the number of people who cut this part out. Now it wasn't much. But come on, people, the course is the course for a reason. Thank you.
What would you do differently?:

Start without the piss poor attitude and just begin the swim the way I eventually finished it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Very good for me in a wet suit.

No complaints.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 54s
  • 25 miles
  • 20.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Here's where I was first worried the right leg would act up, and it didn't. So I pushed pretty good for me and had a very fun bike segment. Except for experiencing my first slipped chain. It wouldn't stay in the smallest cassette gear, and fell off the first time I engaged it on a steep downhill. I quickly got it back on, but didn't dare use that gear the rest of the race.
I also very quickly found my group of riders to battle with. There were four of us that stayed together pretty much the entire bike course. And I must say I was pretty proud of myself for this, as each one of them were strong riders on some kick-A machines. So if any of you read this, Thank You for bringing out a big ride I may not have done on my own.
I also took in two gels during the ride as to be ready for the run.

Buy some Zipp wheels to go faster. I'm still trying to justify this with the wife.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Rocked! I love T2, its that simple. In the 35-39 AG I would have been 1/50 for this. Can I get anything for that? Didn't think so.

Nothing.
Run
  • 52m 38s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Ahhh, my limiter. The run. Well here's where I expected the wheels to come flying off like last weekend. I started very gingerly, and just slowly pushed faster with each mile as I grew more comfortable knowing the pain in the leg was not going to reach fever pitch. Now it wasn't absent, but it was quite tolerable.
Another note is that the weather today was PERFECT race temp for me, and the little bit of rain on the run just helped this guy not feel hot at all. I loved it!
Another vent...WTF with all the iPods? Aren't they not allowed? If I missed that then I'm sorry, but it's proven you run better with them, and just bad during a race. That's it.

Start out right away pushing the pace I finished with, and then backed off as needed. But hey, anything under an hour for me on a 10k is a rockin' performance, so I'm happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my custom water bottle and ate some of those awesome Jersey Mike's turkey sandwiches. I didn't feel stressed or sick at all.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My attitude at the beginning of the swim, and my fear of returning leg/knee pain at the beginning of the run.

Event comments:

I love both of the PTC races, and will participate any chance I get.

Last updated: 2009-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:16 | 1640 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/50
Overall: 0/312
Performance: Good
Suit: Quintana Roo HydroFull
Course: Clockwise out-over-and back to the same point.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:32
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:54 | 25 miles | 20.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/50
Wind: Little
Course: One big loop out into PTC and some country roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:38 | 06.2 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/50
Course: Very nice out and back along PTC's awesome cart paths. My favorite run course of any race I've done. (Do you here that Gulf Coast? I HATE you!)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-16 9:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: Peachtree International Triathlon

2009-05-17 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2155449

User image

Atlanta
Subject: RE: Peachtree International Triathlon
Great race. Particularly so soon after Gulf Coast. I can appreciate the IT band issue. I have been dealing with it myself. Hope yours gets better soon.

FWIW, the race director said during the rules presentation that it was okay to swim on either side of the yellow buoys you just had to be on the outside of the orange ones when you make the turns. I thought this was a bit odd myself as I every other race you had to be on the outside of the buoys.

2009-05-17 10:20 AM

User image

Atlanta, GA

What a great race! Very impressive to crank out those times a week after Gulf Coast! Nice job!

I felt the same way on the swim and saw people swimming all over the place. I didn't hear the race director mention you could swim on either side of the buoys. I guess I should listen next time.

2009-05-17 9:03 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

great race...in fact, I was reading and looking at your times and you did the race I wanted to do...down to the final time.  Great effort after GC.  Congrats.

2009-05-18 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Great race -- I don't know how you were able to pull it together so quickly after Gulf Coast!  I spent the first half of the week hobbling around.  You did fabulous!

2009-05-19 9:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Great race and boy were those Jersey Mike sandwiches tasty.  I for one and still sore from this race and couldn't imagine going after an oly or sprint only 7 days later.  So after the gulf coast with some ailments, cranking out this race 7 days later, I'm impressed. 

2009-05-20 7:19 AM
in reply to: #2162177

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great performance, especially right after Gulf Coast! It's great to have some strong riders to push you on the bike course (or run for that matter). Let me know what works if you convince the wife to let you get the zipps
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree International Triathlon Rss Feed