EnduraSport
54F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 15m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Small cup of coffee and banana when I got up, and a whole wheat bagel and gatorade on the way to the race. Race didn't start til 10.30, so I felt a little confused about my eating routine....worried about not eating enough and bonking.
Event warmup:

Porta-potty stop and light stretching
Swim
  • 13h 04m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was cancelled bc of fog and low visibility, and replaced with a 1.5 mile run. I was disappointed bc the water temp was warmer than I expected (62 degrees) and I was really looking forward to get in an OWS and use my new wetsuit. The silver lining there was that we didn't have to ride in wet cold clothes.
What would you do differently?:

Swim!

I was worried about pushing too hard here, and ended up being too conservative. Could have pushed harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 04m 55s
  • 29 miles
  • 13.93 mile/hr
Comments:

This was hands down the hardest course I've ever ridden! I was really nervous about the 2 mile climb. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I was really slow and it killed my avg pace. I was a bit conservative on the first loop bc I didn't know what to expect (especially in the descent which was extremely curvy), visibility was low and the roads were wet and rough in some portions. Pushed out the second loop harder, and let it rip on the descent. Once again my computer wasn't working....I would have loved to know my speed.

Ride more hills, ride more hills, ride more hills! Take the hills harder and ride faster. I also need to work and having more confidence in the saddle. Also, make sure bike computer is worling before the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s

Nothing
Run
  • 55m 34s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I really felt like I was running faster than I actually was. It took about a mile to get my legs back...they felt a little tired but overall really good. The first 5k seemed endless! By the time I got to the turnaround point my lower back started getting really sore, or maybe I just started to notice it more, and the more I ran the more I could feel it. It also felt like there was some serious chafing going on with the chip strap...I didn't have the energy to look down but I was pretty sure my ankle was a mangled, bloody mess. It didn't hurt so much as it was just uncomfortable....I tried to use this to distract myself from thinking about my back. I passed a lot of people on the run, espcially on the way back. What a boost!

Run faster
Post race
Warm down:

Soo hungry when I finished!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills!

Event comments:

I recently started trying out Nuun and GU Chomps, so I went with that today. Put a handful of cran-apple and orange Chomps in my bento box...I think I ate 5 on the bike. Liked cran-apple. The orange wasn't terrible, but didn't really float my boat.

Last updated: 2009-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
13:04:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Rolling .75 mile out & back
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:04:55 | 29 miles | 13.93 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Tough, tough course! 2 laps of a 14 mile loop...all rolling hills. About halfway though is a 1 mile descent, 180 degree hairpin turn at the bottom and then goes into a 2 mile climb. Because of the tight turn there was no momentum whatsoever going into the climb.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:34 | 06.2 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: 3.1 mile out and back, all rolling hills....at no point where there any flats on this couese.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-17 1:46 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Subject: EnduraSport Mini

2009-05-17 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2155990

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: EnduraSport Mini
Great race, congrats! Timberman's got nothing on the hills on that course!
2009-05-17 7:58 PM

User image

Master
Bummer you didn't get to swim, especially since the water was warmer than you were planning on. Good job on the race just the same!! What fun to get a nice early-season race under your belt!
2009-05-18 8:14 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Nice job!  We both had cursed first tris of the season with those swims!

Though I think it's interesting they replaced it with a run.  To me, that seems a little unfair as most triathletes don't train for a run/bike/run scenario. 

You did amazing though!  Nice job on those hills!
2009-05-18 12:44 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Kelli, congrats on your finish!  Sounds like a funky/tough day of racing with the fog (bummer about the swim) and the hills on the bike.  Sorry abnout your back and your ankle (I've had those problems with putting chip straps on too tight too, even gave myself some mild tendinitis once from it).  Must have been a blast passing everyone on the run!
2009-05-22 2:03 AM

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
Great RR. I've been hiding in a cave of late... very slow reading RRs.

My first Oly the swim was cancelled due to an oil spill. The weather was so cold even being dry that I didn't complain too much. Hopefully soon you can race bless your new wetsuit!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EnduraSport Mini Rss Feed