General Discussion Race Reports! » Classic Rock Rotary Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Classic Rock Rotary Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rockwall, Texas
United States
Ironhead Race Productions
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 5s
Overall Rank = 218/255
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

I stayed in Rockwall overnight and slept badly in the motel. Got up at 5:30, ate some peas, an avocado and some cherry tomatoes and wheatgrass juice. YMCA was a couple miles down the road so I got there about 6:15. Had to park a ways from the Y b/c I was late.
Event warmup:

About 250 yards in the pool
Swim
  • 07m 55s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought this was a really good swim and expected my time to be better. I set a new personal record of not getting passed till 200 yds in! My breathing was very controlled and I felt strong the whole time. Got bumped a couple times but didn't freak out. I'm actually starting to develop some confidence in my swimming.

What would you do differently?:

Really nothing, maybe work on a better way to enter the water. I was really pleased with this swim
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

I hadn't been on my bike since they went over it at the bike shop so I was in my very easiest gear which made it hard to clip in.

Hop on and ride a little before the race starts
Bike
  • 59m 21s
  • 14 miles
  • 14.15 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my second time on this course. The first time was 2003 and that race was horrible start to finish as I had a cold and had taken some medicine. Big mistake. So this time I enjoyed the heck out of it. The course is beautiful and though hilly, the hills are not steep so none of them really wore me out. I'm sure I could have worked a little harder, but it was 14 miles so I was going easy on myself, ;)

Get out on my bike more to prepare. I really haven't been riding much this spring.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Good transition for me, except I forgot my gu which I like on the run b/c it gives me at least a psychological lift and keeps my mind off the drudgery

remember the gu and maybe have a good drink of water before starting
Run
  • 29m 58s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good on this run. I was surprised by my time again because I expected my run time to be slower. As usual I would have liked to stop at the portopotty but didn't so that was annoying, but really I was happy with the run. Again, compared to 2003 it was fantastic! I enjoy the varied terrain on this course, though there were some muddy patches so my shoes got dirty :(

Try to push harder, I'm pretty wimpy out there.
Post race
Warm down:

Hit the portopotty, threw my stuff into bag, checked results and headed out as I had to be home asap

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lazy wimpiness

Event comments:

I liked this race a lot. Last night I was kind of cursing my decision to go all the way out there and making a mental note not to do it again, but now I am psyched to do it again next year. They use the same course for another sprint in August, but I think I like the cooler temp. This was the first year for this May race.

Last updated: 2009-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:55 | 300 yards | 02m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 225/255
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim, six lanes - up and back in each lane
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:59:21 | 14 miles | 14.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 221/255
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The course was considered fast, I imagine by folks who are good riders, lol. It was very hilly, but long not steep hills. Very pretty course, out in the country.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:58 | 02.9 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 209/255
Performance: Good
Course: Interesting and fun run course. It starts out on a path in the woods then takes you over a grassy field around the baseball fields, out onto the sidewalk for the majority of the run. Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-17 2:15 PM

Subject: Classic Rock Rotary Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Classic Rock Rotary Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed