General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Joe Run/Walk at Coney Island Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri for Joe Run/Walk at Coney Island - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cincinnati, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 31m 9s
Overall Rank = 88/165
Age Group = W40-43
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

I packed snack bags for my kids who were going to be in the Kids' Fun Run at 10:30 that morning.

Up at 5:30am. Ate a hearty breakfast: 2 eggs, buttered toast, 2 packets of oatmeal and coffee.

At the race by 6:45 to pick up my and the kids' race packets and talk to Tim (mrtimbro). This was to be his first duathlon. There were lots of snacks out, doughnuts, fruit, water, chips, etc. More kids than usual since this is a family-friendly charity fundraiser. We saw Joe (this really IS "Tri for Joe") and his family helping out. Joe is about 6 years old.

It was in the mid-40s so I wore a long sleeved tech and my trisinglet over it, with trishorts to run in. The pool and the triathletes looked very cold.
Event warmup:

I stretched and jogged just a little in the parking lot. Just enough to get my calves a little less sore.

Note to self: Do not tweak form right before a race. My legs were very sore in unaccustomed places!
Run
  • 31m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Tim left just ahead of me in the duathlon wave. I pushed myself. I knew he planned to run slower than usual and BOP to save himself for the bike and 2nd run in his duathlon -- so he was my target. I finally caught up with him around 4K. We chatted just a bit. He went into T1 and I across the finish at the same time.

They didn't announce my name as I finished like at Miami. I missed that. Not much crowd support at all. But I did get a cute finisher's medal --my first, woo hoo!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much. Keep putting in the miles so I can go sub-30. Push myself even harder after 3K. I was too able to chat with Tim. II could have pushed harder and still finished.

I just noticed that I dropped almost a minute off my regular mile pace!!!OMG!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched. Grabbed a banana and a water.

Took off to get my kids for the Fun Run. Called Tim's wife to tell her he was off on the bike and he ran strong and steady.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm a new runner - just my fourth month. I still don't have a good feel for how hard I can push myself and still be able to finish. I was very sore in the calves, even with meds, from tweaking my running form on Friday.

Event comments:

This was my first 5K (if you don't count my sprint triathlon)

A nice race for beginners. This is billed as a run/walk. There were plenty of kids and walkers as well as high school track teams blitzing by and lean, fast runners.

I placed in my age group: 3rd out of 11. I couldn't be more shocked. or pleased.

Last updated: 2009-05-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:09 | 03.11 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 88/165
Performance: Average
Course: flat course through Coney Island out and back. We ran on sidewalks and parking lot, all inside the park. 2 water stations. One was right at the beginning, too soon to want water at first, then too late to want to slow down at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-05-17 2:44 PM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Subject: Tri for Joe Run/Walk at Coney Island

2009-05-18 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2156061

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri for Joe Run/Walk at Coney Island

Great race this weekend.  Awesome job coming in 3rd in your age group!Laughing

How did the kids do in the Fun Run?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Joe Run/Walk at Coney Island Rss Feed