General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone up for Over the Mountain? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-17 3:11 PM

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC
Subject: Anyone up for Over the Mountain?
Coming up at the end of the month is one of the hardest Triathlons I hear - as this will be my first time - it made me just put on my 12/27 cog. Anyone have any pointers on this one?

2009-05-17 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2156087

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: Anyone up for Over the Mountain?
My husband and I did Savage Man last year.  The hills on that were killer.  Hope this isn't the same.  Luck for me it will only be my husband racing this one.  Good luck to you on your first race!  You picked a doozy and I'm sure you'll do great.
2009-05-17 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
I learned ALOT doing that race. Read my race report from last year. Good luck!

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/?p=640

Here's the important stuff...

Things I learned:
* Always get to a race early so you have plenty of time to set up, especially important for THIS race!
* Always bring your own water to put in your water bottles (they did not have water at T1 setup)
* Have a good nutrition/hydration plan. I thought I could go by feel for a ’short’ race like this. Not true! Actually, I cannot think of olympic as a ’short race’ any more. (they did not have anything but water on the run, and it was HOT, so bring some electrolytes or something).
* Don’t trust the weather report. I got a really bad sunburn!
* peddaling down fast hills probably isn’t worth the energy. better to tuck and enjoy the ride!
* I can’t wear sunglasses with my Rocket Aero helmet because they steam up.
* bring your own post race snacks in case they don’t have what you need at the race (they had NOTHING salty!)
* not worth it to skimp on how much water you carry during the bike. Surely I lost more time than I saved in that fiasco!
* When I got home and took my wetsuit out of the trash bag, it was very hot and the rubber was sticking together. I had to carefully peel it apart. Now there is a small tear in my new wetsuit! Lesson: don’t leave a wetsuit sitting in the sun in a trash bag all day! I should have taken it out right away and laid it out in my car. (they put your wetsuit in a white trash bag, that you pick up later in the day - get it as soon as you can!)

Edited by keyone 2009-05-17 7:23 PM
2009-05-18 6:16 AM
in reply to: #2156430

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC
Oh sorry - not my first triathlon
My first time doing Over the Mountain...
2009-05-18 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
The one thing I found helpful was to pack 2 transition bags.  One for T1 and the other for T2.  That way you have everything separated before you get to the race site and there is less confusion.

Good luck!  It's a beautiful swim and ride!
2009-05-18 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
This was my first OLY.  Plan ahead on getting to Moss Lake.  You take a bus from T2 over to swim start, so, as previously posted, pack two transition bags.  It's an in-water start, and a neat course.  No real turns, just a big arc if I recall.  Got a little wavy out in the middle, but not bad at all.  The run up the boat ramp is a little steep.

The bike is, well, hilly.  There's this one long hill entering KMSP that my buddy told me I'd just start laughing on.  And he was right.  I did.  Running an 11/23 at the time, it was a struggle.  A 12/27 is a much better choice.  I'd go a lighter weight/less aero setup, as it is a somewhat technical course in spots, with not a lot of flats to see the benefits of aero.  I'd suggest pre-riding or driving the course to know where you can carry speed, and where you'll need to be prepared for turns.  It's a fun course, but you do have to deal with some local traffic at points, which can be frustrating (the first 5 or so miles out of T1).

The run.  This is the race that made me decide I wanted to learn how to run in a triathlon.  It absolutely humbled me.  There was sports drink on the course in 2007, though I don't remember what it was.  It didn't matter; it didn't agree with me.  The course is rolling for the first mile or so, then somewhat hilly for the middle mile, then rolling again for the last mile, then repeat the sequence.  But I was done on the first lap.

Check my RR for stats.  They are not impressive.  However, it was a fun race, a good way to get my feet wet in the distance, and I had a buddy on the course as well.  He's racing it again this year, and we expect good things.

It's not as hard as it sounds.  Now Bandit's-that's one to keep your head down for.

Good luck!

Edited by fgump 2009-05-18 10:15 AM

2009-05-18 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2157741

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC

fgump - 2009-05-18 11:15 AM
It's not as hard as it sounds.  Now Bandit's-that's one to keep your head down for.

+1

Bandit's is a hard oly.  OtM is not that bad.  The bike courses are similar, but the run at OtM is pretty much flat.  It is, however, later in the day due to the late race start.  Unless they changed it, the run is an out & back done twice, with half of it on a sidewalk.  The second trip out is a mess with a ton of folks going both ways on a sidewalk.  It stinks.

I dislike the point to point nature as it just seems a hassle to me.  Seems like you spend all morning just going from place to place to get set up.  My favorite bit was when I some gels for the bike in my pack in T2 and didn't realize it until I was on the bus to the swim start.  Oops.  As others have said, separate transition bags would help.

But the bike is really pretty nice.  The sections through the parks are wonderful.  It almost makes up for the run course & p2p nature for me, but not quite.

2009-05-21 6:31 AM
in reply to: #2157741

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC
Thanks - That is good advice all...
2009-05-25 5:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville
Hi,

Hubby and i signed up for this.  How hilly is hilly?  Neither he nor I have any experience riding in the mountains.  We live in a hilly area I would say 5-8% grade for a quarter mile is what we are used to.  R we talking 2 miles of straight up hill or are the hills shorter?  I don't mind the grade being intense if duration is short and vice versa..
2009-05-25 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2171415

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
afrutoz - 2009-05-25 6:31 AM

Hi,

Hubby and i signed up for this. How hilly is hilly? Neither he nor I have any experience riding in the mountains. We live in a hilly area I would say 5-8% grade for a quarter mile is what we are used to. R we talking 2 miles of straight up hill or are the hills shorter? I don't mind the grade being intense if duration is short and vice versa..

You'll probabloy do fine. It's hilly, but not mountainous!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone up for Over the Mountain? Rss Feed