OKC Boathouse Foundation
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 53s
Overall Rank = 50/170
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/24
Pre-race routine:

Nervous as all get out. Up at 4:45am, got s quick shower, ate a half bowl of oatmeal and a banana, and out the door by 5:30.
Event warmup:

Nothing much other than racking my bike for the first time and pacing around. I guess putting on my wetsuit was kind of as warm-up.
Swim
  • 33m 21s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first ever triathlon, first ever open water swim, and first time ever swimming in a wetsuit. So, this was a pretty wild experience. I just wanted to SURVIVE!
It was really chilly in the morning and the wetsuit plus water temp made it more comfortable in the water than on the ground. My goggles fogged up quite a bit which made it hard to see the buoys, so I just had to look for splashes and follow that. I'm pretty sure I followed a blind guy pretty far out of the course and had to swim longer than several people.
Since this was my first swim in my wetsuit, I discovered that it rubs on my neck and I developed a pretty painful sore from all the rubbing.

All in all, I was glad to be done, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I even beat people in my wave.
What would you do differently?:

I would have tested out my wetsuit prior to competing in it. I would DEFINITELY put body glide on my neck. I got pretty wicked blister/chaffing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

There were surprisingly wetsuit strippers when we came out of the water which made taking that off really nice.

I would practice putting my stuff on, and leaving my shoes clipped in.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.20 mile/hr
Comments:

It felt nice to be on the bike. The road was kind of messed up in a few areas so I had to stay alert and be on guard against giant potholes and big cracks in the road. The bike went ok, but I had to take a leak throughout the ride. I had planned to take some GU during the ride, but I left it in my bag.

Take a leak before the rsce.

Because this was only my 4th outdoor ride since getting my bike, I haven't had time to practice riding in the aero position outside. It didn't want to risk doing so today and wrecking. So, I think I will practice that, and ride in that position next race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

I was new to this too. I could have been a lot fasted getting my shoes on and off and getting start3ed on the run. While leave T2, I must have missed the curb because I just about fell smack on my face on the timing mat. :(

Practice. Not almost trip and die.
Run
  • 41m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Since I missed my GU on the bike I decided to take some on the first loop of the run, BIG MISTAKE. I had to deal with some cramping for the first loop and a half. I decided to stop drinking anything and just run. My last two loops were amazing. I kept getting faster and faster and felt great while doing so. If the run portion were longer I could have passed several more people. I was able finish in a full sprint.

NO GU!!!

I still needed to take a leak during the run, so I guess I'll stick with my comment from earlier and say. Go before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

I went to the beer garden and had a beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience / Training

Event comments:

I was really pleased with my race experience. I was able to beat my goals on all three parts of the race and beat my goal time of 3 hours by several minutes. This was the first year for this event and it was very organized and lots of fun.

Last updated: 2009-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:21 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/170
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Zenith Full Wetsuit
Course: Swim in the red, murky Oklahoma River.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:40 | 24.85 miles | 19.20 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The bike course (four 10k laps) proceeded north on Lincoln Boulevard past the Oklahoma State Capitol Complex, then returned south on Lincoln Boulevard to the Chesapeake Boathouse for one lap.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:41:26 | 06.21 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: The run course was four 2.5k laps on the trails around the Boathouse.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes