United States
Georgia Multisports Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 15s
Overall Rank = 150/218
Age Group = 30
Age Group Rank = 20/20
Pre-race routine:

Drank a gatorade, ate 2 bananas and a Clif Bar. Took a GU Roctaine about 20 minutes before race.
Event warmup:

Walked to the swim start. Swam about 50 yards to get a feel for the current and sighting.
Swim
  • 19m 9s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

Fast swim because of current. I don't own a wetsuit yet, so could have probably gained a minute or 2 if I wore one. I only breath on my right side so had a little trouble navigating. Bumped into a few people. Felt good coming out of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Practice sighting better. Learn to do bilateral breathing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

No wetsuit to take off so T1 was pretty fast. I was at the very end of my row, which made it easy to find.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt really good on the bike. Course was flat which was great b/c that's what I've been training on. Only complaint was that there were a few cars to deal with. There were a couple of cars/vans that were going about 10 mph and had to pass one car on the left and another car very closely on the right. Took another GU roctaine about mile 12. Drank a bottle of water on bike.

Probably pushed it a little too hard and should have saved some for the run. Drink 2 bottles of water/gatorade instead of just 1.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Fast. Felt good going into run. Took a 3rd GU roctaine right before run.

Didn't tie my Yankz up tight enough.
Run
  • 1h 09m 56s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok. This is where it fell apart. I am not real fast, but going into the run I thought I would be in good shape to finish the race at close to 2 hrs. 30 mins. I felt great on first mile, then at about mile 2 it hit me- the stomach cramp from hell. I thought it would go away but it just got worse the rest of the run. I'm pretty sure I was way too dehydrated. It was very hot. I downed water/gatorade at every station, but it didn't help. I had to walk a lot.

Drink a lot more on the bike. Do a few more bricks. Train later in the afternoon in non-shaded areas to get used to hot weather. Run with Fuel Belt.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank 3 bottles of water, ate a banana and some cookies. Tried to eat bagel but it made me sick.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, wasn't hydrated enough.

Event comments:

This was my first Olympic. I felt pretty good about my overall time, even though I was last in my age group (of course there were only 20 in my age group and I think most of them were seasoned veterans). I could of registered at a clydesdale since I'm over 200 with shoes on, but thought I would go with age group.

This was the first destination race for our company Tri Team. I think we had about 15 people from our team that did either the Sprint or Olympic. It was awesome having other team members, family and friends cheer us on.

This was a fun and fast course. I am pretty sure our team will come back here next year. I look forward to improving my time (especially the run).

Last updated: 2009-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:09 | 1500 meters | 01m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/20
Overall: 0/218
Performance: Good
Suit: no wetsuit, Just team singlet (or unitard)
Course: Ocean. So, either this was not 1500 meters or there was a huge current (or both). When I walked from the finish buoy to the start buoy it didn't seem like a mile and it only took me about 10-11 minutes (walking fairly slowly).
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:48 | 24.85 miles | 20.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/20
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Flat, 2 loops around the island.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:09:56 | 06.21 miles | 11m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/20
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat run on sidewalk along the beach then sidewalk along the road. Sunny for miles 1, 2, Shaded for 3, 4, Sunny for 5, 6.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-17 7:35 PM

Subject: Turtle Crawl Triathlon

2009-05-18 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2156558

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Subject: RE: Turtle Crawl Triathlon

Good job.  Especially for your first Olympic.  Your run comment was interesting because I felt similar on the run.  My first mile felt great.  I was holding myself back and then my cheerios ran out.  I looked for them but they were gone.

Nice swim and bike.  I only breathe on my right side also.  I used the sun as a gauge to try and swim straight.  I basically just make sure there are people around me I figure most people are doing a lot of sighting.  It will probably burn me one day, but it has worked well so far.

You mentioned a company tri team.  Were you with the group that Steven McKie was with.  I cam over to the tent after the race for a bit.

Nice RR too.  Congrats on the first OLY.  I love that race.

Edited by nealphelps 2009-05-18 10:28 AM
2009-05-19 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, Georgia
Chad you did awesome!!! The same thing for me on the run...my body just doesnt react well with heat... a month ago i ran a bit over 8 min miles at John Tanner, and from my half mary times this year fully expected the same results..but the second that heat started beating down on me Saturday with no shade I knew within 5 minutes I couldnt control my HR and my quads were lighting up... so we had a very similar race. You did amazing!
2009-05-19 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Sounds like you had a fair amount to drink during the race itself. Did you drink enough water in the 2-3 days leading up to the race?

Yeh, running in the middle of the sun at the end when the rest was nice and shady was kind of a kick in the pants.
2009-05-21 7:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Great race, I had the same deal the run beat me up. NICE JOB!
2009-05-22 2:30 PM

Atlanta, Ga
What is it with the run on this race!! Sounds like a lot of us had the same race. Give or take a few minutes. Fantastic job on grinding out the run!!! I will be back next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turtle Crawl Triathlon Rss Feed