The Cleveland Marathon
53F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 20s
Overall Rank = 2876/3885
Age Group = F 52-29
Age Group Rank = 363/517
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30. Breakfast: banana, english muffin w/ peanut butter. Munched on cheerios and drank water on the way there.
Event warmup:

Light jogging, not much.
Run
  • 2h 16m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

For a first half mary, I was pleased with the race. I felt great the first 7 miles, they seemed to fly by, and I was on exact 10 minute miles. Because I was running with 2 friends, I had to adjust down some by mile 8, as they were tiring some and we wanted to stick together. By mile 10, one friend had to take several walk breaks, but I knew if I stopped I'd be done for, so I slogged along at some points VERY slowly, so she could catch back up. It was both good and bad: I was glad to have their company, it helped take the edge off. But I also would have run differently if I were running myself. I think I could have run closer to a 2:10 if I maintained my own pace. However, I didn't come to break any records, I just wanted to finish and have fun with them, which I did so I am happy. I finished feeling strong yet appropriately tired too. Overall, a great time and I am really happy about it!
What would you do differently?:

Run my own race. And get in the line for the port-o-potties earlier!! I think with more appropriate training, I could get a lot closer to the 2 hour mark. Definitely a goal for my next half.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, stretched, and eventually sat! Snatched up every goodie I could hold: chocolate milk, pretzels, cheese doodles, banana, water!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knees were pretty stiff by the end, and also feeling compelled to stay back for friends. I don't regret it, but it limited my ability to push to my own limits.

Event comments:

It was my first time doing this race, but I was quite impressed. Much better than the Cleveland Triathlon, IMO. Parking was better, more volunteers, less confusion. I would definitely do it again!

Last updated: 2009-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
02:16:20 | 13.1 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 363/517
Overall: 517/3885
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat course; a few rolling hills miles 10-13 on the shoreway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes