Georgia Multisports Productions
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 57s
Overall Rank = 54/218
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/17
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5, had a Powerbar and some water. Loaded stuff into the car, Got to the event around 6:40. Everything went pretty smooth, no complaints here. Ate a gel packet while setting up in transition.
Event warmup:

Walking about a mile down the beach to the start. Stretching my arms and trying to be positive about my impending doom... errr, I mean the swim. :) Also had to mess with the swim cap a few times to get it relatively comfortable... first time swimming with one... heck, first time wearing one!
Swim
  • 23m 50s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've been in open water plenty of times, but this was my first triathlon, so it was my first open water race. The first 200m were ok, but it all fell apart after that. After about 200m of freestyle I switched to the backstroke to relax for a bit, and for whatever reason did the remaining 1300m using backstroke instead of HTFU and going back to freestyle.

Very disappointed in myself for the swim portion... dead last in my AG, and in the slowest 5% overall. Go me. On the bright side, it can only get better, it can't get any worse. I really should have just relaxed and tried to get back into the rhythm I practiced at the pool so often.

I wish I could have seen the route I took. I probably swam 100m extra with the zig-zagging I did. I was outside of the kayaks for a while (most everyone else was between the kayaks and the buoys). I think the most disorienting part was the murkiness of the water. Usually I can see at least a little something when I go to the beach, but not this time. Fortunately a nice current helped the whole thing along.
What would you do differently?:

Swimming needs more practice. I want to take some swim lessons, and get some OWS practice in. Just need a lot of improvement here.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Didn't have much sand on my feet, but I still splashed some water on them from a spare bottle I took for that purpose. Got my socks on, put my shoes on (didn't have them on the bike already like a lot of others), glass, helmet, and off I ran to the exit. No jersey and no wetsuit, so that saved time. Seeing that all the bike stands were almost empty was pretty disheartening though. Having my girlfriend cheer me on as I ran up from the beach made me smile though, as always.

Have the shoes rubberbanded on the bike and use a flying mount... other than that I thought I did well.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 3s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Cycling is what I've been doing longest, so this was my favorite part. The course was fast and flat, and with the exception of having to pass a few cars, it was a joy to ride. Did a lot of passing, and wasn't passed a single time, so, hey, I have something going for me there. I also used my regular road bike, no tri bike for me yet. Around mile 21 I ate the gel packet I had taped to my top tube.

Push harder...
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

I was really happy with my performance here. Girlfriend was right there cheering me on again and grabbing a short video. All I had to do was switch shoes and off I went with my race belt in my hands, put that on while running.

Replace the regular laces on my shoes with some yankz or whatever they're called, maybe shave 5-10 seconds off there... that's pretty much it.
Run
  • 50m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs didn't get into the rhythm until about a mile in or so, which is pretty much what I expected. There was a water station at every mile marker, so I'd have some sips of gatorade and throw a cup of cold water on my head, which felt great. Passed a few people in my age group, too. Really I just tried to pick people off on by one, and only had one guy pass me. I could hear my girlfriend cheering for me at least a hundred yards out. :)

I think I could have pushed harder and maybe tried for a 7:30-7:40 pace instead. I was worried I would cramp, but that wasn't a problem. Just ran a little conservative, I'll be more aggressive next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a while, found some shade, had some water... then went and had half a bagel with peanut butter and a cookie. Yum!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming first and foremost. If I could cut the swim down to a more reasonable 18 min instead of almost 24, and picked up a minute or two on the run, I could have moved up to 3rd place instead of 5th.

Event comments:

Definitely a fun race, and one I will definitely do again next year if possible!

Overall I'm pretty happy with how I did, considering it was my first triathlon.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:50 | 1640 yards | 01m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/17
Overall: 207/218
Performance: Bad
Suit: none
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:03 | 24.85 miles | 22.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 0/218
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops around Jekyll Island
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:12 | 06.21 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 0/218
Course: Had a nice view of the Atlanta for most of the run. The course kept us on the boardwalk and sidewalks the whole time. 3 miles out, 3 miles back on the same route.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-18 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Turtle Crawl Triathlon

2009-05-18 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2157915

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Subject: RE: Turtle Crawl Triathlon

Good job. Nice bike.

2009-05-18 4:08 PM

Smokin time, especially for first tri.  Looks like you probably passed everyone back on the bike that beat you in the swim.
2009-05-18 5:22 PM

Regular
Nice race! I was probably the guy floating next to you on the swim As I lost it as well. I'd be stoked with your bike time. One of these days. Regardless I think you had an awesome race!
2009-05-21 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Great race, you crushed the bike and run. I am one of the ones you passed on the bike.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turtle Crawl Triathlon Rss Feed