General Discussion Race Reports! » Duck Bill Thrill Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Duck Bill Thrill Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lowell, Oregon
United States
University of Oregon Triathlon Club
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 53s
Overall Rank = 47/94
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Nothing - didn't have time. I showed up when they opened up but had to do same day packet pickup, as did quite a number of others. While very friendly (maybe too chatty considering the line - boy I sound terrible). One person handing out packets and one person doing body marking. They were fabulous folks but left a lot of people scrambling. On top of that they were dead set starting on time despite many people not ready for this mass start swim.
Event warmup:

15-30 seconds swimming.
Swim
  • 19m 59s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

I usually start toward the out side but I thought I'd start in the middle for the fun of it. Lots of folks swimming too fast at the start and swerving back and forth in front of me. Ultimately they slowed down and I passed them. Kind of funny to watch it unfold around me on both sides. One guy even swam over my legs on the start until I decided enough was enough and I just changed gears.
What would you do differently?:

Go back to starting off to the side. I usually start on the side that makes me breathe to my weak side to just help me settle down quickly, but next time I am going to start on the other side try to stay in touch with the leaders and improve my drafting.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

There some amazingly fast times, but I put on socks so , put on shoes and run in them to the mount. I give up a little time there but I still did OK for me

Not let someone close the top flap on my wetsuit for me. I had a hard time getting my hands on it.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 59s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.88 mile/hr
Comments:

I was coming off a painful lower shin pain and cramp f that stopped all training for the 4 days before the race. I decided to go easy on the bike and run so not to aggravate it. I didn't want to lose anymore training time before my first HIM only 4 weeks away. I did not truly race so I had a great time, enjoying the scenery during the less challenging portions of the course.

Nothing given my race day goal
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

I think I do fine in T2 generally

Nothing
Run
  • 52m 83s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I did not run hard. As we ran across the gravel road on top of the reservoir's dam, I felt like stopping just to look at the beautiful scenery.

Nothing given my race day goals
Post race
Warm down:

I wasn't tired when I finished. Just walk over to the food and had a big lunch. My fitness was high and since I had decided not to race the bike & run legs hard I just hunkered down and ate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lower leg injury the week of the race

Event comments:

This was a great race marred only by a bit of race day organizational problems and a few inadequate course markings. This was this was the most fun race I had ever done. The field was small but very competitive. Sponsored by the University of Oregon Tri club, it attracted athletes from Oregon State and University of Washington as well as a spattering from nearby Bend. As one athlete said - "Where were all the average folks? There wasn't nearly anyone behind me."

Last updated: 2009-02-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:59 | 1500 meters | 01m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 6/94
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vendetta
Course: 2 laps of a triangle course. The course was short, but well laid out. The swim time include the run to T1 so it is difficult to tell how fast people were really swimming.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:59 | 24.85 miles | 18.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 76/94
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Beautiful course. Smooth country roads with rolling terrain and one good hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:83 | 06.21 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 75/94
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling hills, with one long moderate climb in the middle
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-18 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: Duck Bill Thrill Olympic Triathlon

2009-05-19 12:01 AM
in reply to: #2158555

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois
Subject: RE: Duck Bill Thrill

This was a great race, but you are right, it did have some serious competitors.  I shaved 25 minutes off of last year and came in much lower in ranking than last year, that is just crazy! 

Sounds likey you had a fun time.  I wish we had of met up.

2009-05-19 2:38 AM
in reply to: #2159875

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: RE: Duck Bill Thrill

dcossey - 2009-05-18 10:01 PM

This was a great race, but you are right, it did have some serious competitors.  I shaved 25 minutes off of last year and came in much lower in ranking than last year, that is just crazy! 

Sounds likey you had a fun time.  I wish we had of met up.

Maybe next time. I see you are racing Ironman Coeur d'Alene. I'll be doing my first HIM at Idaho 70.3. I also have some tentatively set races later in the season. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duck Bill Thrill Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed