Leaning Tower YMCA
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 8s
Overall Rank = 69/246
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/25
Pre-race routine:

Was starting late so I stopped for a breakfast burrito on the way to the race. While setting up in the transition area I managed to let all of the air out for tire (had to run back to the car to get the Good tire pump). Since this was my first triathlon I decided to get there really early so I could watch how everything was done. I was in one of the last waves so I took advantage of the opportunity to use a spot in the transition area that one of the early wave have vacated (right near the bike out gate)
Event warmup:

Running back to the car to get the tire pump when I only had 5 min to report to the pool
Swim
  • 9h 46m
  • 450 yards
  • 2h 10m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pool went exactly as planned can out about the time I thought I would. Slow and steady wins the race for me in the water
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push a touch harder but my lap times stayed pretty consistent the whole time.

When I signed up I was swimming 450 yards in 14 minutes but I really picked up in the last few weeks so my times where more like 10 mins
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Put my shoes on in t1 not on the bike. had a hard time with my shirt Took about 15 seconds to get one. The bike shoes also gave me trouble with the tightening up

Practice with the bike shoes, get a less sticky shirt
Bike
  • 32m 1s
  • 11.18 miles
  • 20.95 mile/hr
Comments:

The Bike went great I never knew I could pedal that fast. I was flying by people left and right. The highlight was passing the guy in fully decked tribike with bars and disc wheels.

Thank god I had a friend on the side who was counting loops for me or I would have gone a extra loop (got the hey dummy you already done 5 laps yell)

drink a little less Felt a little sick in the run because I drank to much.

Figure out a way to mark laps on my bike
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Had a little rough time here. While dismounting my bike a high speed I forgot to unclip on of my shoes. It made for an interesting dance with the bike and a bounce off the catch fence (Did stay on my feet however).

Took a long time to thigh my shoes and they never felt quite right

Invest in some quick tie laces of some kind
Run
  • 24m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out very rough and thought I was going pretty slowly, but quickly caught and passed a little pack of runners. That got my juices going in enough to kick it up a few notches. My family was there cheering me on at the last turn so I need to speed it up make them think I was actually doing good.

My favorite moment of the run was when I was just about done with the run and I passed the guy I had counted laps for just starting his run.

Work on my brick and push out of transition a little harder
Post race
Warm down:

hugged the kids and the wife, drank some water

Don’t know I did the level I did. My swim and bike where both much faster than I have ever done in training and my 5k run was only a little more than a minute off my bets 5k ever. Nothing bad happened to me during the race so I am probably do for some in my next race

Last updated: 2009-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
09:46:00 | 450 yards | 2h 10m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 133/246
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool was warm and there a lot of people new to tris in there with me.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:32:01 | 11.18 miles | 20.95 mile/hr
Overall: 69/246
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: The turns where a little tight and there where not many long runs to get a good rhythm going
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:24:14 | 03.11 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 0/246
Performance:
Course: Kind of lonley out there
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-18 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Tower Triathlon

2009-05-18 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2159117

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: Tower Triathlon
Well done.  Sounds like this was your first race (it was mine also).  Kudos on hanging in there for the run; I mentioned in my race report - I just keeled over and died on the run . . . took everything I had to keep going.  Good to read someone else's report on the same race.
2009-05-18 10:10 PM

User image

Northern Illinois
Excellent first race! Perfect course for the first one. Good luck with the rest of your season!
2009-05-19 7:50 AM

New user

Good job on the bike. Good thing you were able to get your pump and fill the tire in time.
2009-05-20 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2159772

User image

Extreme Veteran

Now I am worried I can not do it again. The bad thing is that I did not have a glaring weakness I can really work on all 3 section ended up close to the same. I do have access to a bike that was not from 1983 for my next race so that should help.

The other thing that worries me is that I really did not have any thing go wrong during the race.  I read or heard somewhere in every triatholon at least 2 things go wrong

2009-05-20 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2159223

User image

Extreme Veteran
what really helped me mentally on the run was catching the pack of runners. I was about to give in and walk but i saw them about a block ahead I told myself after a catch them I can walk, but once I got there I started to feel a lot better and just kept going.

the other thing was that since I was at the pool 4 waves early ,ost of the people I caught on the run I reconized from the pool so I would chat with for a little while as we ran

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tower Triathlon Rss Feed