United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 41m 16s
Overall Rank = 365/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 42/147
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am. Made my bottles for the day plus one for the car. Used the foam roller for 10 minutes and headed out.
Got to Centennial Park at 5:20. Set up transition area, used the bathroom, watched the pros and just hung out waiting for my wave.
Event warmup:

Foam roller at the house. I wanted to use it more before the race but I did not really have anywhere to use it.
Swim
  • 28m 14s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out feeling good but felt fatigued pretty quickly. The swim seem to drag on forever. I could have sighted better. A few times I realized I was heading off course and had to correct.
What would you do differently?:

Better sighting. Think about getting a sleeveless wetsuit and see if that helps with my arm fatigue
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I put on sunglasses but they were fogged up so I put them in the vents of my helmet so I could use them later on the bike. As soon as I started on the bike they fell to the ground. I had to turn around to get them. 30 seconds lost. T1 time is lumped in with bike split due to technical issues by timing company.

If I cannot put sunglasses on my face, leave them behind or at least put them in a pocket.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 48s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 18.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Never got into a great rhythm. I expected a strong showing on the bike. I do need to remember that this time includes T1 and the wasted time chasing down my sunglasses. There was a lot of traffic on the course (bikes and cars) although it was kind of cool to pass so many people. On one of the early downhills my glasses blew off my helmet again. I decided to go back and get them which cost me a ton of time. Not only did I have to wait for a break in bike traffic before I could pick them up but I also started climbin out of the valley without any momentum from the downhill. Very frustrating. Also, I took my computer out of the harness the night before so it would not be ruined by the rain overnight. When I re-attached it in the morning it must not have been secure b/c it kept coming loose on the ride and sliding out of the harness. I ended up taking it off and putting in my back pocket.

Again, secure the glasses.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

The dismount line came up faster than I expected so I was unable to get my feet out of my shoes. I ended up wear my shoes down to the rack. Not a major issue but probably caused me a few seconds.

Get out of my shoes while still out on 108.
Run
  • 46m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt strong in the run but wow that is a tough run course. I'll take 7:30/mile on that course, especially getting off the bike.

Maybe redline it a little more.
Post race

Last updated: 2009-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:14 | 1640 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 71/147
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:48 | 25.48 miles | 18.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 56/147
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: This course is always fun. Some of the downhills were a little hairy in the wet conditions. Unfortunately I tapped my breaks on the curving hill on the back section of the course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:36 | 06.21 miles | 07m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/147
Performance: Good
Course: Wish I would have run the course before the race so I had an idea exactly how bad the hills would be.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?