The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 24m 49s
Overall Rank = 113/1569
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/168
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30, got dressed, took the dog out, grabbed my stuff that I had packed the night before, on the road over to the park (I only live about 10 miles away from it). Parked on 108 as it is faster and walked to transition where I got marked and set my stuff up. Chatted with a few and headed over to the swim since my AG was in the 4th wave and went off a 1/2 hour after the pros.
Event warmup:

Ummmm, my walk over to the swim start and putting my wetsuit on??

Like my last race, I was doing this one totally blind. No watch, no speed or distance on the cyclometer, only cadence.
Swim
  • 29m 23s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up to the far right as the course goes that way anyway and stayed well out of the melee. Had no problems getting started, barely had anyone near me at all until the turn buoy which allowed me to get into a nice rhythm. After the turn I went wide again until the next turn and then wide after that one until the finish. Really uneventful and could focus on being smooth and relaxed. Didn't get passed by the wave behind me until only about 200 meters from the finish. At that point I could see the timing clock and subtracting the 1/2 hour from when the pros started I knew that I was probably going to break 30 minutes, which was my optimum goal for the swim with the very limited pool time I've had this year.
What would you do differently?:

Not have a shoulder injury and get more swimming in. My yardage for this year is beyond pathetic. But in the race, nothing. This was by far my best shorter distance open water swim. Only Lake Placid and Florida were better overall swims I think.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

My space was all the way at the end of the rack and in the middle of the transition as far as fore/aft went. So I was one of the furthest from all the in/out locations. Oh well. They screwed up the timing and T1 was included in the bike split, so this is a total guess for time based on what others do. I think it went well and there were no hiccups at all.

Good transition overall, can't complain.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 2s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 22.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a great ride because of fitness levels and the weather/roads. I did the relay leg on the bike last year and put up a fantastic time and was hoping to come close to that this year. But my legs weren't all there and riding the disc downhill at 40mph then getting hit with a huge gust of wind from the side and being literally pushed almost into oncoming traffic is a really sobering experience. As a result I didn't ride in the aero bars on most of the longer/steeper downhills and rode conservatively to stay upright. I also pussyfooted around some of the corners as there was some standing water and it rained for part of the race.

Redeeming thing is I caught the majority of my AG that finished the swim faster on the bike, set the 4th fastest AG split with a mediocre ride and was only passed by one person from the wave after me about 3 miles into the course and no one else.

I had a 6-pack of beer riding on this split, but after the first few miles I knew that I was buying. It wasn't going to be my day (not too mention that Dan put up some great numbers and won his AG!! Well deserved beverages there!).

Ride a little less conservatively. I was almost 4 minutes slower than last year. Train more on the bike. Other than my 2 races, in the last few weeks I've been on the bike only twice. Because it is my strength and is the easiest part for me (not too mention it takes the most time in training), I really put cycling on the back burner when it comes to training and it gets sacrificed for other facets of life that are more important. Oh well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Good fast transition (as I mentioned before I had a long run to get to my spot and to get out to the run). Racked bike, helmet off, shoes on, grabbed my visor and number belt and off I went. There were 3 other guys coming out at the same time - all came in before me on the bike from either my wave or the one before so I made up some time there.

nothing, good solid transition. Since I go very simple in the race I don't have anything to worry about other than taking my helmet off and putting my shoes on! 17/168 for AG for T2 time.
Run
  • 42m 21s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming out transition I had two guys behind me and one in front who was moving out. I decided to try and hang with him as he was in my AG and see how the legs felt. After about a 1/4 mile you take a hard left and climb for another 1/8th or so up a pretty steep hill. I passed the guy ahead of me and never saw him again. Passed a few others up the hill in both my and the older AG and just settled into a rhythm. A 41 year old guy (wave behind me) passed me about a 1/2 mile into the run wearing the old Team Gu uniform (I was in my one from last year - the one he had was the year before) and I cheered him on as a former fellow teammate.

After that it was pretty uneventful! Other than the constant hills of course. Downhills were pounding my quads and they were both twinging by about 3 miles into the run with the left one hurting more. I caught a few more people in various age groups and was passed by 2 from mine and 2 more from the 40-44 group. Didn't feel like I was going that fast, but I was catching most people ahead of me. At the exit from and re-entry back into the park I saw Miguel from my office who graciously had taken time out of his Sunday morning and was volunteering for the race!! Big huge thanks to him and got some well received "Go Rick!"s out of him!! ;-)

At the back end of the loop around the lake it was quiet as there was no one around me until one from my AG passed me (he ran a 38 minute split, so I certainly had no reason to think he wouldn't!) From there it was a cruise on in and my double fisted metal salute at the finish where Fred had finished just 34 seconds ahead of me (damn fish!! ;-) ).

Not sure. Maybe not be complacent and let the few from my AG pass me? I put out the best effort that I could until near the end so I guess it was a decent run. Not my best, but the time on this course is pretty solid as it is one of the tougher ones out there. Certainly didn't feel like a 42!!
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with Fred who is still recovering from a hip issue and was lucky to be able to race - and he did fantastic to boot! I had no idea of how I did but based on the clock I figured I was close to my realistic goal of 2:25. Walked over to transition and got dressed in warmer clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, lack of swimming ability, conservative approach on the bike.

Event comments:

Another great race by the CTA and a decent result considering how little I've been training and no real race-specific focused training at all for any of my races. My aim this year is to just enjoy racing a lot and not put any pressures on myself as I tend to do better that way. Plus with the way life is (kids, work, family time, house) I just can't seem to make a training schedule that works for all occurrances in my life - so I'm not constraining myself to any schedule and just winging it and racing.

But top 10% both AG and overall?? I certainly have nothing to really complain about!

Last updated: 2008-11-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:23 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 99/168
Overall: 768/1569
Performance: Good
No HRM (hell, no watch even!!)
Suit: Desoto T1 Black Pearl - Arrgggghhhhh
Course: Counter-clockwise loop through Centennial Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:02 | 25.48 miles | 22.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/168
Overall: 63/1569
Performance: Average
No HRM or watch.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Reverse "P" through Ho. Co. with portions not far from home. This is my home course so know it extremely well.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:21 | 06.21 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/168
Overall: 97/1569
Performance: Average
no HFM or watch.
Course: Loop around the park with a jaunt out of the park through the local neighborhood. Very rolling, only flat near the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-19 12:43 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2009-05-19 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2161023

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
Way to go! We must have started almost next to each other, I also lined up to the right.
2009-05-19 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Fantastic job out there Rick - given your injury you really hit the swim nice and your bike and run are always fast. Congrats on the AG and OA placing!
2009-05-19 3:16 PM

Champion
South Jersey

Great job, Rick. Top 10% is pretty darn sweet! Especially considering your lack of training. Really great work out there. It was good to see you too.

I lined up on the right for my swim too (well, more in the middle but moved out to the right shortly into it). It was nice. No drafting ops, but smooth sailing .

2009-05-19 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
Nice job Rick!  Even conservative your bike split is phenomenal.
2009-05-19 4:26 PM

New user

What a great job!  You know that you are our winner!  Love from A,B,C and Mi

2009-05-19 6:12 PM

Pro
yep,

Nice job Rick.  Nice swim for the lack of training.  Still a very respectable bike.  I'll see ya in the few weeks for E-man

2009-05-19 7:06 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Nice looking run, Rick!
2009-05-20 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Nice job Rick and 4th fastest in AG for a conservative ride?!?  Bada$$   Congrats on your AG and OA placing!

2009-05-20 11:00 AM

User image

Hey - Always appreciated you reaching out last year and wanted to say hell of a job at Columbia considering you had a mediocre ride.  Quite sure you are going to hammer the course down at Eagleman.  Also, anytime you run sub-7 miles on the Columbia course you did alright!
Take care and good luck with your training!

jason
2009-05-20 11:33 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Great race Rick!  Strong bike & run on that course.  And an "uneventful" swim is a victory in itself! 

2009-05-21 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Well done! Super fast and for a B race! Wow! Love that run speed!

2009-05-21 9:13 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Good job Rick!
2009-05-22 1:21 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!