General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corp Historic Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Marine Corp Historic Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fredericksburg, Virginia
United States
Marine Corp Marathon office
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 09m 4s
Overall Rank = 2297/4923
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 699/2312
Pre-race routine:

My plans changed a bit since the kids were sick. We were going to stay at my mother-in-laws Sat. night which was pretty close to the race. So the family stayed home and I drove down to my parent's not as close but still close.

Race morning I got up at 5:00am threw on my clothes and grabbed my chocolate chip bagel w/ pb. I got to the shuttle oarking lot at 5:30ish. I got right on a bus and we were off.
Event warmup:

A short, easy quarter mile jog. I was physically and mentally tired. I had done 2 hard workouts in Fri and Sat plus ran the Pacer's Half Marathon the weekend before. This was another practice run for the HIM in June. My goal was to practice the mental aspect of running tired and stay as close to 9:30 pace as possible.
Run
  • 2h 09m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

The time seemed to go by quickly and I was running easy. I didn't have the energy to push myself but I kept going and didn't walk. The rain made things sloppy and my feet were sloshing in water logged shoes.

I started off a little slow and stiff but got stronger as the race went on. I handled the hills well and did my fastest running once I cleared the hill by the hospital. I finished strong and felt like I could have gone on.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - this was strictly practice.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around, got some food and put on dry clothes then headed back to the shuttle to go home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being tired and the rain - yuck!

Event comments:

The Marines do know how to put on a race. This is a great event and course. I would highly recommend it to everyone. The race was organized, lots of cool swag and decent post race snacks.

There were plenty of bathrooms including indoor facilities. Since the race started at the Fred. Convention Center, they used it on race morning. There were bathrooms inside and plenty of space of stay dry while waiting.

Just don't trust the elevation chart online. It looks downhill for the first 9 miles or so - not true. It's a challenging course but nothing too crazy.

Last updated: 2009-01-09 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:04 | 13.1 miles | 09m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 119/2312
Overall: 394/4923
Performance: Good
Stayed in the high 140s to mid 150s for most of the race except for some of the hills.
Course: Rolling hills with one long hill at mile 11.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-20 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: Marine Corp Historic Half Marathon

2009-05-20 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2162701

Subject: RE: Marine Corp Historic Half Marathon

Great job, esp. after running Pacers the weekend prior!

2009-05-20 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2162701

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Marine Corp Historic Half Marathon
Great run, Sam!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corp Historic Half Marathon Rss Feed