United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 57m 15s
Overall Rank = 701/1568
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 102/168
Pre-race routine:

ate less than usual for this Oly and I think that was a good thing. Just a bagel with PB, banana, coffee, water. Plenty.
Event warmup:

none whatsoever. By the time I was set up there was not much time.
Swim
  • 30m 53s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

expectations were low as swimming is my weakest and i have not trained much this year. The Y pool I go to is straight out of Cocoon and I just can't jazzed to get down there. Need a new solution.

I did teach myself the 2 beat kick on Friday and tried it in the race. I was slow and a bit uncoordinated but i don't think i sacrificed much speed and I came out of the water not at all tired like I usually am. I will stick with the 2 beat.

I did have issues with my timing strap. It felt like I was going to loose it throughout the swim. Tried to wrestle with it 3 times to no avail. I was worried the Kayakers were going to think i was drowning and yank me out so i just hoped for the best. Fixed it in T1.
What would you do differently?:

train. I deserved this slow performance with the time i invested in my swimming.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

approx t1 as times were mixed with bike.
Took a little long as I had to fix my timing strap. Also put bike shoes on rather than leave attached to the bike as the ground was wet and the hill coming out of T1 was steep.
Bike
  • 1h 34m 59s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 16.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I was having a great ride. Nearly half way through, going through a very fast section, I was thinking to myself how cool it was to be blasting through the rolling countryside on a Sunday morning with 1500 friends. Right then my tire started to wobble and I realized I had a flat.

I pulled off onto a lawn and got to work on a tube change. To my delight, I replaced the tube pretty quickly (my current rim/tire combo is a bitch), but when I screwed the CO2 cannister on I didn't realize the valve was open and lost all my gas! doh. That was really deflating (obvious pun intended).

So I stood on the side of the road holding up my empty cannister hoping someone would chuck me one. But, the reality was people were moving way to fast so I knew that wasn't going to happen even if someone wanted to help.

At this point I was resigned to wait for the fixie truck. After a couple of minutes a lady came out of her driveway down the road and yelled to me asking if I was ok. I said I needed a pump and she turned around and ran to her house. Grabbed my wheel and ran down to her driveway and she met me with a pump. I met her dog and her two daughters who were bringing lawn chairs out to watch the race! Pumped up my tire and was off. I lost about 15-16 minutes, but I was stoked that this woman lent me a hand when I thought I was done. Thanks Christine! You made my day.

Other than that it was a great ride. A little wet, a little cold, but a great fun course.

Drank only water and took 3 GUs. Felt like the right amount.

learn how to use C02!! Squeeze another cannister in my bag, too, just in case.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

T2 is the reason i do triathlon. i love it. my life's work will be complete when i podium T2. 5th in my AG, but I know what i did wrong, so lookout, Terrenzo!

not run by my spot.
Run
  • 47m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

great run. never broke 50 min in an Oly before and that was the goal. looks like i made up 33 places in my age group and 275 OA on the run + T2 which is pretty cool.

nothing. felt i performed a great run to pretty much the max of my current abilities.
Post race
Warm down:

Chrissy W put on my medal. Very cool of her to hang out and do that for so many finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The flat didn't help! But i am honestly glad I got the flat. I needed to learn how to change one in a race and dealing with the adversity that came with it was a good thing. shit happens out there that we don't expect and we just have to adjust our game plan. After i fixed the flat, i was in such a good mood for the rest of the race. I think I thanked every volunteer and tried to encourage as many other struggling racers out there that I could along the way.

Event comments:

food was kind of weak and the transitions were very tight. other than that, great race. will do it again.

Last updated: 2009-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:53 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 120/168
Overall: 940/1568
Performance: Average
Suit: desoto t1
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:34:59 | 25.48 miles | 16.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 133/168
Overall: 977/1568
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:59 | 06.21 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 53/168
Overall: 329/1568
Performance: Good
Course: hilly
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-20 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2009-05-20 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2162717

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
Sorry about the flat! Still, to be able to come back and smoke the run, that's amazing.
2009-05-20 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
Nice job!  Considering the flat, you finished strong!
2009-05-20 10:15 AM

Pro
yep,

Nice work even with the problem on the tire.  Nice of that lady.

2009-05-20 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Sorry about the flat.  Good race overall though!  What a nice lady.  :-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed