Tucson Racing
99F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 50s
Overall Rank = 325/559
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep due to the obnoxious party house that proceeded to bang thing against the walls and throw poppers in my back yard...oh well. Had usual toast with peanut butter and honey and banana. Left at 4:45am for the race.
Event warmup:

Didn't really do much...hardly even stretched either. Absolutely ridiculous that the race organizers thought that 20 porta potties would be enough for 1500 athletes. There were lines with over 30 people waiting...this is just not acceptable in my opinion. As a person who suffers from stomach/intestinal problems it really affected me. I was in line waiting to go to the bathroom about 3 minutes before my wave worrying that I wouldn't make it in time...I'm sure about half the athletes either had to hold in full bladders or #2's because they were not able to use the bathroom before the race time because the lines were too long!!!! NOT OK! Fix it next time race people.
Swim
  • 11m
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was really worried about not having the wetsuit, but I also realized that I'd been training a lot for the swim and it shouldn't be a problem. And it wasn't! There was a lot more room to navigate than the Splash N Dash. I got a little winded the last 100 meters, but was able to stay calm and pace myself. I just kept thinking back to how horrible my experience was in the Sherox last year where I probably did freestyle the first 100m and than got so winded I had to do breaststroke and than resort to just anything that would keep me moving forward and I had to stop and rest at every boey. I think I officially have the the open water swimming and just swimming in general down now...I actually think that I enjoying swimming the most now out of all the events and it used to be my least favorite. Sweet I'm a swimmer! Next step would be a 750m sprint...on the way to Olympic eventually.
What would you do differently?:

I can't really think of anything...
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s

Need to bring another towel to get grass off feet...
Bike
  • 40m 32s
  • 12.1 miles
  • 17.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went well...it was pretty uneventful...I felt pretty strong definitely tough going up some of those unexpected hills. 3rd fastest bike time in my age group...I'm happy with that....just not happy with my age group rank...maybe more 20-24 year olds should start doing tri's so there will be more than 7 people in my age group!

Train more for hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Probably my fastest transition time...
Run
  • 30m 31s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Once again I worried about getting a side stitch and sure enough I get one. This time I just took deep breaths in my nose and out through my mouth and that helped...at least I didn't have to resort to walking, but once again it hinders my ability at the run. Some day in a race I will not get a side stitch and I will probably finish at least 4 minutes faster.

Not much else I could have done.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt pretty crappy as I sprinted all out at the end because someone was attempting to pass me and that is NOT acceptable for me...that would be a crappy race finish photo seeing someone else pass me...so I kicked it up and I was able to stay in front. Than I felt like i was going to puke and had to sit down and cool off for a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Side-stitch...it was hot but that is not an excuse for me.

Event comments:

It was a great race and I will definitely do it again next year on the condition that they get about three times the amount of porta potties next time...oh and better t-shirt...I'm pretty sure that was the most ugliest color and most poorly designed t-shirt I've ever gotten at a race or just seen ever...what is wrong with the color white? that shirt is way too hot/ugly to wear.

Last updated: 2009-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:00 | 400 meters | 02m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/559
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Triangle course...always looks really long.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:32 | 12.1 miles | 17.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/559
Wind: None
Course: One loop around down town Tempe...couple hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 18
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good