United States
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 03m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, went to the bathroom 10 times, got my children ready, and ate . . . 2 pieces of toast w/pb&j and a half a cliff bar. Also drank about 20 oz of gatoraid.
Event warmup:

Not much -- walked around and stretched. Found my friends and talked talked talked!
Run
  • 2h 03m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first *real* half marathon -- the other was part of a half-ironman and I walked the majority of it.

I felt really good during this race. The weather was perfect for me . . . cool with a gentle rain for some of it. Lots of friendly people to talk with. I even caught up to Marcia -- but since she was recovering from a bout with the stomach flu this isn't as incredible as it sounds. I ran with her for about 2 miles but I finally had to leave her. I am so impressed that she was able to finish as she just didn't look very good.

As for me . . . Jonathan had his last IV chemo yesterday and I thought about him a lot during the race, especially when I started to feel tired or felt like walking. I ran the whole thing and am very proud of myself :0)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much . . . I guess if I wouldn't have slowed to run with Marcia I could possibly have gone a little faster . . . but for me this sport is mostly about the socialization! So who cares?

Last updated: 2005-04-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:03:39 | 13.1 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: This was a run course since I live in St. Cloud and train on many sections of the course. A few hills at places where I didn't want to run hills . . . but overall it was a very nice course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-04-16 4:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: Earth Day Half Marathon

2005-04-16 6:17 PM
in reply to: #143495

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Earth Day Half Marathon
congratulations on your first half-marathon! i almost signed up for this one, but then i got into bjorklund. did you get rained on this morning? again, congrats!
2005-04-16 8:35 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Nice race Melissa!  Congrats!
2005-04-17 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

Great Job! I also ran that race and had a great time with it. I can't believe that it rained the whole time but it was a very nice day other then that! The hills kindof got me, I am not really use to that!!! Anyway just wanted to say good job and you should do the fargo marathon they also have a half!!!

GJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Earth Day Half Marathon Rss Feed