Freewheelers of Spartanburg
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 11m 39s
Overall Rank = 624/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about an hour before the event. Had a typical restless night prior to the race/ride today. Up about every 1-2 hours for the bathroom. Obviously I was hydrated. Gathered all the gear and headed to the lobby. We were staying in the host hotel which made things very easy. Picked up a box breakfast and hung out with our group. There were nine of us participating in the ride either to Marion or Mitchell. Once we got all of our gear to our sherpas, we headed outside and to the start line.
Event warmup:

There was no real warm-up here. It was approx. in the low to mid 50's to start. I decided to wear my rain jacket for additional warmth. This was the first year of the staggered start which upon review from veterans was a very good thing. Banner. Gun. Go.
Bike
  • 9h 11m 39s
  • 102 miles
  • 11.09 mile/hr
Comments:

This is easily the most difficult ride I've ever been on and in some ways rivals my IM accomplishments. I think I went out to fast in the first 50 trying to stay with a peloton or paceline to help me out to the parkway faster. In the end, I rode the second 50 on my own, with periodic sitings of friends along the way. I was concerned about cramping and had a near miss at Mile 94 with my psoas kicking up. I rode the final 8/9 miles under my LT which slowed me down but protected me from tanking the ride.
What would you do differently?:

Take it a bit easier on the way to Marion. A friend of mine elected to not stop until Marion but rode at an easier pace. He had a great second half and climbed to the top about 20 minutes ahead of me. Great strategy.
Post race
Warm down:

Changed into dry clothes. They had tomato soup at the top. (I hate tomato soup but it was a necessary meal at this point) Apparently its a Mt. Mitchell tradition. Then we boarded the bus for the ride down to Marion.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too fast of an approach to Marion. Maybe about 10lbs of extra body weight.

Event comments:

I have rated certain aspects of this race as 'too hard' strictly because of the degree of difficulty. It's a completely different riding experience and I'm glad I have been in the Gaps and did Cheaha a couple of weeks before to get used to the mental part of climbing like this. Finishing this event really felt a bit like an IM. It was exciting to reach the finish mat and achieve my goal. The event itself is pretty well run and is a definite bucket list challenge. There are some very talented cyclists that I never saw! The volunteers were great and the aid stations were well appointed. The bus ride down to Marion from the top absolutely sucked. It took about 1.5 hrs in a school bus. It becomes very uncomfortable. I have been told that last year it took about 30 minutes. if you want to say you are a cyclist in some form, you must do this event. You have to qualify at the Marion ride your first year or join the club that hosts the event to get to Mitchell. You can also buy a number from someone who can't do the race but wants to hold their spot for next year. Go get this one.

Last updated: 2009-04-03 12:00 AM
Biking
09:11:39 | 102 miles | 11.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 624/
Performance: Good
My actual ride time was 8 hours but with stops it clicked up to 9+.
Wind: Some
Course: This is a point-to-point timed ride for those going to Mitchell. The Marion ride is not timed but is 74 miles out on the course. It is also a point-to-point. The course is pretty hilly with one major and many smaller climbs on the way to Marion. There were flat farmland areas that opened you up to the wind. The wind was in your face all the way to Marion, due North. Once you pass Marion you are clocked into the ride up to the parkway. This is a 12 mile stretch with a significant three mile climb @ approx. 7.5% grade. You must cross the timing mat at the parkway entrance as either the 750th rider or by 4:00PM whichever comes first. Once on the parkway you have 17 more miles of hell. There is one 2 mile drop at Mile 92 followed by a very healthy 3 mile climb to the Mt. Mitchell park entrance. The next 2.4 miles rival most climbs in the Gaps because its steep and you are at the end of your ride so fatigue is a factor. Once on top there is a stretch where you are climbing at 12 mph and feel like its a downhill effort. The last half mile is another steep climb to the summit parking lot and finish.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-21 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: The Assault on Mt. Mitchell

2009-05-27 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2166263

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Subject: RE: The Assault on Mt. Mitchell
Congratulations ! feels great doesn't it..... I was behind you a ways. (does that make sense ?...lol) This was my first attempt too. I'll try to do a race report soon.

What an epic ride...... every bit as hard as I had heard. We rode between Marion and the summit many times but that doesn't compare to doing it after riding 75 miles first.

Neverending climbing from the last 3 miles of 80 to the top. If you really want a thrill ride go down the hard stretch of 80. It's unreal and it's a drug I have to take........

Congrats again and maybe I'll see you next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Assault on Mt. Mitchell Rss Feed