General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YMCA Sprint Triathlon - Wakefield, Lake Quannapowitt Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-06-27 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2166410

User image

New user

Subject: RE: YMCA Sprint Triathlon - Wakefield, Lake Quannapowitt
Well I think the Burbank Tri was a huge success.

Terrific opportunity for spectators, not only because of the 4 lap course but the way the road stays on the lake you it could be followed with binoculars. (wife wishes she brought hers)

2009-06-27 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yup, fun race. They did a good job for a local 1st time race. Boy that lake gets packed with walkers though (I knew that going into the race though).
It was only my second tri so I was curious how a smaller race would turn out. Really I saw no difference between this and the one FIRM put on with the exception of no timing chips and less sponsor tents. Oh they gave out a nice shirt too.
Overall I finished 15th (out of ???) and I think I was somewhere between 5th and 8th in my age group (age groups were larger than normal, 10 years). So I had decent results, it was a learning experience and I had a lot of fun.
2009-06-27 4:10 PM

Online or Offline

That's great to hear that you two had a positive experience! Congrats on great finishes!

Our goal was to bring everyone a fun and safe race venue but our team of planners found areas where we can make the race go smoother next time. Please feel free to post here or email the Race Director with any comments good and bad. This is a learning experience for the whole team and a first for us all. We would like to do a better job the next time around until it's perfect!

We hear you loud and clear on the chip timing!

Give it to us:

Was the pre-race announcement helpful? Were you around to hear it?
Swim Course - what did you like/dislike about it? Depth, vegetation, sun glare, buoy sighting?
Bike Course - Primarily, did you feel safe? any problems with congestion?
Run Course - Too crowded with lake walkers? Do you think if the race started :30 earlier it would matter?
Were the entries/exits for the bike and run confusing out of the transition area?
What could the volunteers have done to make it a better experience for you?

Edited by Iron MaYden 2009-06-27 4:10 PM
2009-06-27 5:45 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

First, let me say thank you to May and the rest of the voulenteers that came out at O dark hundred this morning. I had a great time, and love the fact that such a large body of water is finaly avalable to play in

Ok under the constructive response catigory:

Was the pre-race announcement helpful? -Kind of heard it, but was too close to the water, and not paying enough attention to it.

Swim Course - what did you like/dislike about it? Depth, vegetation, sun glare, buoy sighting? -Was shocked at how slow the lake gained depth. I think I would have prefered a more out and back course to get deeper quicker. I understand that boats use the lake too, and this along with safety may have been issues. Was just taken aback a little by the number of people running past me as I started to swim. The sun was an issue, going the other direction should take care of this issue. Other than murkey, I had no problems with the water conditions (I do swim at weed lake, I mean silver lake)

Bike Course - Primarily, did you feel safe? any problems with congestion? I was actualy surprised the bike was not more congested. I was in the first wave, and expected the corners to be possible pile ups. The number of voulenteers was AWSOME! I think this made the course one of the safest in an urban area I have ever raced at.

Run Course - Too crowded with lake walkers? Do you think if the race started :30 earlier it would matter? Somehow, by the time I got to the run, the walkers seemed to get the idea we were comming through. Mind you, I do not run much faster than a lot of walkers, so it makes it easier to get thier attention from behind.

Were the entries/exits for the bike and run confusing out of the transition area? Bike out seemed decent, was a little confused on the mount/dismount line. A set of cones seperating those comming in to T2 versus those going around again would have helped there. Could not find a run exit from transition sign, but the voulenteers handled it no problems.

What could the volunteers have done to make it a better experience for you? Nothing, the ROCKED!!!

This race was quite imprressive in my book. A lot of little details like bag pipes and PA systems that RD's who have been established for years do not do. I also loved the designated racking spots. HUGE in my book. The only thing I would add would be a trash barrel placed about 20 yards from the water tents. Helps keep the cups from getting away.

Thank you again for a great day!!

Joe

2009-06-27 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2247519

User image

Pro
MA
From the spectator point of view: 

well, first I have to address something from joe's post above.  Want an earlier start?  What time do you expect the volunteers to get the place ready?  2am? 

I would say keep the race small for safety reason, and avoid congestion.  This would keep it more beginner-friendly. 

Have big signs with arrow pointing "bike in", "run out" etc. 

I think some volunteers are too eager to flag down the last loop cyclists that they actually BLOCK the bike-in.  That is how many cyclists missed the dismount line (plus, races obviously don't read signs on the road). Make sure there is a gap big enough that it's obvious something will be going in there (bikes finishing).  Instead of saying "hey, this way", volunteers should be yelling "bikes finish to the right!!!!!" and gesturing like scarecrows with hands pointing to the corresponding direction.  That's how I direct traffic on the bike course when I volunteer. 

Overall I think it's a great race.  Very well organized by many standards.  Exceeded expectation for a first-time event. 
2009-06-28 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2247411

User image

Extreme Veteran
Was the pre-race announcement helpful? Were you around to hear it? - I did hear them but was in the water so I wasn't really paying attention

Swim Course - what did you like/dislike about it? Depth, vegetation, sun glare, buoy sighting? - Swim course was not as bad as I expected. The sun glare was very bad though. I went in the first wave and lead most of the swim so I wasn't able to use the other swimmers to site off of. Going into the second buoy I almost had to stop swimming to find it. I came out of the water first so I wasn't 100% sure where to go. The screaming volunteers helped with that though.

Bike Course - Primarily, did you feel safe? any problems with congestion? - I didn't think I'd like the bike course but it was fun seeing family 4 times. The corners were a little congested and I almost saw a biker get hit by a car but other than that it was fine.

Run Course - Too crowded with lake walkers? Do you think if the race started :30 earlier it would matter? - Little crowded. The walkers were a little stubborn about who had the right away. They were walking 3 or 4 across, which forced some of the runners in the road in order to pass them. This obviously threw us onto the bike course.

Were the entries/exits for the bike and run confusing out of the transition area? - Coming out of T1 was fine but coming into T2 was a bit confusing. I almost over shot it but I think that was because of the 4 loops. Coming out of T2 to the run was really confusing. Then no the start of the run course was a mess. There were no volunteers to keep you on the path. Some people may have gone around the Comverse building.

What could the volunteers have done to make it a better experience for you? - I thought the volunteers were actually pretty good. The people at the far end of the lake (half way around the bike and run) were awesome. Very encouraging and did a great job of keeping the road and side walk clear.

This is just my 2 cents, but again I think it was awesome for a first time race.

2009-06-28 8:37 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

I have to second the run course confusion. I did see a runner comming from around the comverse building. If it were not for the voulenters, I would have run throught the bike entrance to get out on the course.

2009-06-28 3:24 PM

User image

New user

I agree with most that has been said and especially echo the positives. A few suggestions...

Swim course- It seemed like the final leg of the swim was a little deeper, how about sending us around the other way next year. 3 advantages: 1. will get people SWIMMING! so maybe when they do get to the swallows they won't realize they can just walk/run. 2. Strong swimmers will have a chance to get a lead and not be blocked by bobbers and runners. 3. Truly weak swimmers will be able to stand late in the swim, rather than having to swim after using a lot of energy running in waist deep water and getting run over by very frustrated strong swimmers.

Transition area-Love that you gave each athlete their own space and even put my name on the pole (I felt like a pro) But, with such a big space to work with you made the area to small. I had to negotiate around a pole and lift my bike over my head because a fellow competitors sat down in my path. Both problems could have been avoided if the snow fence was 18" further back. I recommend rehearsing the area with a bike to be sure you have left enough room.

Bike route- awesome, don't change a thing.

Run route- Yeah it would be nice if people gave us a little more room but I have always rather people stay their course and let me go around so we don't collide trying to evade each other.

Overall a great venue! Glad Quannapowitt is safe because it is one of the most natural sprint tri courses I have seen.
2009-06-29 3:40 PM

Online or Offline

Thanks guys for the insight from both the athlete and spectator point of view -- you have no idea how invaluable it really is.

Always still looking for feedback for anyone who wants to chime in!

We hope to see everyone again next year and more!

2009-06-30 6:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I saw a few, what looked to be professional, photographers taking photos of the racers. Will they post these photos anywhere?
2009-06-30 7:04 AM

User image

Veteran
MA
Only my second race, so I don't have much a basis for comparison, but I had a great time and thought the race was very well done.  The volunteers, all over the course, did a great job managing the race an offering encouragement.  Only two things that stood out to me were already mentioned; the glare during the swim and the tight quarters in the transition area. 

Does anyone know if results be posted anywhere? 

2009-06-30 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
2009-06-30 2:35 PM

Online or Offline

Here's the link for pictures http://mozell.printroom.com/

You may have to pick through all of them to locate yourself, unknown if they will categorize them.

2009-06-30 2:59 PM

Being my first one I did it and I am hooked and am thankful for the woman who tapped me on the back at the first curve of the run when I wanted to walk and I ran with her the rest of the way.I did it in an hour and a half and know definetly where to make some improvments.Thanks Reading Y for doing this and lets make this an everyyear race
2009-07-01 7:56 AM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I didn't do this triathlon, but I'm excited about being able to swim in Lake Quannapowitt. Are there rules about where/when we can swim there? I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but it seems that you all would know better than anyone else.
2009-07-01 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2255197

Online or Offline

KLilevjen - 2009-07-01 8:56 AM I didn't do this triathlon, but I'm excited about being able to swim in Lake Quannapowitt. Are there rules about where/when we can swim there? I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but it seems that you all would know better than anyone else.

Hi there! As far as I know, there aren't any established rules about where and when people can swim in the lake, but you won't get yanked out by the police if you decide to swim. I don't live in the town so I don't get the buzz on the latest, but maybe you can check the billboards around the lake to see if they eventually establish some rules since it's only been very recent that people have resumed swimming in it.

Since there's no designated roped-off area for swimming and no lifeguards, beware of the sailboats and wind surfers while you're out!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YMCA Sprint Triathlon - Wakefield, Lake Quannapowitt Rss Feed  

of 3