General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet Suit Full or Sleeveless Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-23 3:02 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Wet Suit Full or Sleeveless
Hi all, I am a new aspiring triathlete scheduled for my first Sprint Tri in about a month. I am looking for opinions on purchasing a wet suit and if my first suit should be Sleeveless or Full. I am in NY and the swims will be either in the Hudson of the Long Island Sound.

Thanks very much.

RR in New York

Edited by ramjet 2009-05-23 3:03 PM

2009-05-23 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2169842

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Wet Suit Full or Sleeveless

Full. More buoyancy, less chafing, and more hyrodynamic. Just make it fits well.

2009-05-23 6:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
It really depends on how cold the water is. My full suit felt great in April and early May. Now it's too warm...but I sure agree about how it helps keep you afloat. More concentrating on swimming instead of sinking (for me anyway, I'm a beginner swimmer)................Tom
2009-05-23 7:42 PM

Master
Definitely make sure that YOU are happy with the suit fit - don't just rely on the "store expert." 

I posted a few times recently on how the very experienced older clerk at the Santa Monica triathlon-specific store told me my suit fit "perfectly", even though I told him it seemed very, very tight. I could not zip it up on my own, and my arms were really restricted over my head. Sure enough, in open water, my arms were exhausted within 100 meters - even though I normally swim no problem for 1-2 miles in a pool.

I kept at it 4 more times, thinking it was my bad swim ability, but it never got any better, whereas I got better in the pool. I finally went wetsuitless 10 days ago, and was right with the main pack, for nearly 2 miles, and almost no significant fatigue.
Went to a sleeveless wetsuit, and haven't looked back since. It was definitely the unfortunate-fitting wetsuit - nothing I did in terms of pulling it on, up, around, made it better, but I got a new Xterra sleeveless ($140 on sale - right now if you can find the sale ad; I believe it's on sale until June) and it's been great. No problems at all.

It should feel snug, tight, but definitely comfortable and nonrestricted even out of the water. If not, try on another suit for sure no matter what anyone tells you.

Last point - I'm surprised with how well one can swim sans wetsuit, given summer temps. I swim in the Pacific ocean off LA, and the warmer temps are definitely wetsuit-free no problem in general as of now. 
2009-05-24 6:11 PM

User image

New user

Guys, thank you all. I tried on my first suit today. Still haven't decided yet but making sure the FIT is right! We'll see soon enough and I appreciate the fast responses.

RR in NY
2009-05-25 4:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
Go full unless you can't stand it. Period. Water temp shouldnt matter unless you plan on wearing it in non-wetsuit legal races.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wet Suit Full or Sleeveless Rss Feed