Canada
13C / 55F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 13m 1s
Overall Rank = 18/45
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Note to self: the tri top pockets are shallow, do NOT keep the pre race gel there.
Event warmup:

First thing to warm up this morning: put some layers on, it was cool.
Did 4k on the bike to make sure everything was all right, then realized how cool the temp was. I hesitated a lot about wearing something with the tri top. Decided to go with the tri top only, which was the good decision. Then had a little running around before the start.
Run
  • 41m 33s
  • 9.2 kms
  • 04m 31s  min/km
Comments:

The start was kind of funny! The guy called the start, then, 5 sec later, yelled STOP STOP STOP They were missing some whatever authorization they needed to give us a start LOL. 3 minutes later, we were racing. It was kind of hard to stick to my strategy of keeping some juice for the bike because I felt the field was strong but I knew many of them would crash in the second run from looking at last years' results. That run was pretty smooth, I was in good place... except when I missed the turnaround at the first lap (directions were not clear;)). A guy behind me yelled "Some precious seconds lost here!" I was feeling like saying "I will soooo burn your azz on the bike" but I stayed in my zone, kept my focus.
What would you do differently?:

Mmmm nothing really. I'm really satisfied about this run.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Really need to practice getting on the bike. Today was ok, but I feel like I've been lucky at putting my shoes on fairly quickly.

I just need to practice it, it will come with time.
Bike
  • 1h 06m
  • 40 kms
  • 36.36 km/hr
Comments:

I pushed hard a few times on that course while training, so I was expecting a speed avg of ~34kph. After the first couple of laps, I looked at my avg speed and it was ~35.5kph and I was saying to myself that it would probably be a good idea to ease the pace a bit in order to survive the second run. Somehow, my brain just shut down a few minutes after and all I would do from then on was to push hard on the pedals, yell "on your left" and keep the aero position real tight. Traffic was kind of heavy and I feared being caught for drafting once (I knew the motorcycle was right behind me!!!!) but everything went well.

I am immensely satisfied about this ride. It will be used for further positive visualization.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Jumping off the bike, one of the shoes unclipped. I had to go back and pick it up, lost probably 30 sec there. Anyways, I'll just tighten the pedals for future races... making a mistake once is all right but twice, not much.
Racking the bike on the handlebars with the earo bottle on is annoying, I need to find something better.
Run
  • 23m 5s
  • 4.8 kms
  • 04m 49s  min/km
Comments:

The legs were angry at me on that second run! They hurted in various places intermittently, the right calf was probably the worst. Mentally, I wasn't in such a good place anymore. The run course being so short, leaders of the various races were passing me (and the others of course) all the time which was discouraging somewhat. At the water station, a little boy crossed the race track right in front of me, I could have killed him dammit!!! A knee right on the head could hurt pretty bad... fortunatly, it didn't happen.

I don't know what I could have done differently, but there is certainly something, I'll think about that... later. Same ranking on both runs is great, that I am very happy about.
Post race
Warm down:

None! I might pay for that tomorrow.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a fairly tough training week, both in terms of volume and intensity. I felt the legs were not 100% fresh, but it was all right, this was meant to be a preparation race.

Last updated: 2009-03-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:33 | 9.2 kms | 04m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 24/45
Performance: Good
Course: Not a great course, a narrow boardwalk in the middle of nowhere, it was hard to pass sometimes. Never thought I would say that about a running course. The lap around the race track was great though.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:06:00 | 40 kms | 36.36 km/hr
Overall: 12/45
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 10 laps on the formula 1 (and now NASCAR as well) race track. A nice and smooth course where I train frequently.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:05 | 04.8 kms | 04m 49s  min/km
Overall: 25/45
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-05-23 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Montréal
Subject: Triathlon des îles de Montreal

2009-05-24 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2170268

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: Triathlon des îles de Montreal
Great job Etienne

Third in your AG, damn I wish I could be as fast as you! One day maybe.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon des îles de Montreal Rss Feed