On The Run
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 59m 2s
Overall Rank = 1/302
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:40, 10 minutes before my alarm, got up and ate a bowl of cereal. Then I took care of 'business' and loaded up the bike into the truck.
Event warmup:

I got in a 1 mile jog and about 150 yards of swimming before the made us get out of the pool.
Swim
  • 04m 8s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim is a pool swim in a 25yard pool, so there are quite a few turns and going under the lane dividers. I enjoy OW swims a lot more though. Standing in line I started talking to the guy in front of me. He had done silverlake last weekend too and wasn't feeling it today. Though he said he would swim hard to make sure I didn't catch him. Nice guy, he even came up to apologize after the race, though it wasn't his fault. Now I forget his name!

Anyway to the swim! Felt great checked my gap to Kevin who was 10s behind me and he wasn't gaining at all at 100 in. Then 10 seconds later I Catch the guy in front of me. I go to pass him right away but notice there are two.. TWO guys in front of him with 2 more coming the other way. I couldn't pass. I stopped and stood a few times waiting for a moment to pass 3 people at once and right when it came Kevin went by me. I then cursed at the fact that he passed me already, and then I said screw it and went with him. I just drafted off him the rest of the swim. Apparently some guy put 3:50 down for the swim but really swam like a 4:45.. At least it gave me something to complain about, though I probably only lost 10s or so. lol :)

But that's the difference between 58xx and 59xx.. :)
What would you do differently?:

Just mow over anyone in front of me right away regardless. I was being much nicer than I typically am in races.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Average, I fumbled with shoes just a bit and helmet just a bit. Nothing big, just maybe 3-4 seconds.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 35m 37s
  • 15 miles
  • 25.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Well my friend Kevin actually out rode me by 38 seconds, but he blew his calf out 2 weeks ago running and isn't able to run yet. So I'm not going to count him! Our plan for the race was to start the swim right next to each other and then kill each other for the whole race. Which is what we did till mile 5 of the bike where he really went for it. It would of been a great race if he was able to run.

Due to the mess of the swim Kevin got out of T1 5 seconds ahead of me. I got on my bike and got dialed in, caught up to Kevin and sat behind him a bit for a few seconds then went for the pass. We really had pretty good weather with a slight 7-9mph wind. I was going 26.5mph into the slight head wind off the right shoulder when I passed him. I think that's what put him off. He repassed me .3 miles later and I couldn't pass him again. So now I'm riding behind Kevin a bit and we catch my training partner Jim Yarzy, who doesn't mind Kevin blowing by. Then when I go around he picks it up and sticks with me for 4 miles. He ended up having a great bike split and race overall for 6th OA and AG win.

After the first turn around I just slowly watched Kevin out ride me while I also moved up from 14th to 4th. I went pretty hard on the bike with a little bit of a recovery spot from miles 6-11. Also even though there weren't too many turns on this course, I felt like I really hit the turns well today. Good bike ride, went quite a bit faster than last week..and last weeks course was the short one!

Nothing I think I hit the bike perfect for me. Well.. Maybe drop Yarzy right away. Though I was happy he was pushing to stay with me, I knew it would probably make him have a good time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

28s.. Can't go much faster!

Nada
Run
  • 18m 2s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I felt like I was running 5:45s.. but I guess not! I came out of T2 to see Kevin standing there yelling at me to go run the two still in front of me down. Trent was no doubt in first being #1 swimmer (started 2minutes and 20 seconds ahead) and overall just a strong triathlete. In 2nd was the 4th swimmer and a 55 year old at that!

It took me about a mile to run down 2nd place and then Trent was about 45seconds ahead, which already put me in the OA lead. Anyway, I slowly started to bring Trent back. At about 1200 to go I'm 40m back and I say ok.. if you want to finish first it's now or never. While I picked it up I didn't commit 100%. I reeled him in to 20m and never got anymore. I knew I was 2min up on him and just weenied out.

A local high school runner who just graduated out ran me by 1.5 seconds for the fastest run of the day.

I really need to HTFU and just GO. I'm having trouble sucking it up and going 100%.
Post race
Warm down:

Got in about a 2.5 mile jog with some fellow Dots. Ate a slice of pizza and a couple bananas. Then sat around, chatted and watched the rest of the people come in and cheer them on.

Went to the awards, got a nice plaque with my name and time on it. Plus a army like helmet with (it is called Combat triathlon1) Overall Male winner on it. Plus a free pair of Asics (DS trainers) and $50.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Besides the slight backing off on the run, I performed really well and have no complaints about how my body worked that day.

Last updated: 2009-02-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:08 | 300 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 12/302
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool Swim
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:37 | 15 miles | 25.27 mile/hr
Overall: 1/302
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Partial paperclip route.. locals know what I mean!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:02 | 03 miles | 06m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 2/302
Performance: Good
Course: Runs around the campus for a bit then heads through a neighbor hood. Enough turns to keep you for getting too bored. I really liked the course for this race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-24 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Combat Sprint Triathlon

2009-05-24 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2170469

User image

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
Subject: RE: Combat Sprint Triathlon
My first triathlon was a pool swim also, and I had to stand up a few times on the swim.  Of course, it was to let people pass me, not the other way around .

It's tough getting the mental tenacity to really abuse yourself when it's getting close to the end, epecially when the race is well in hand (or out of hand, as the case may be).  You're well on your way though, I bet if the race had been closer you could have found that extra gear.

Nice race, way to get the OAW!
2009-05-24 1:38 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Nice overall win!!  Great effort across the board.  Congrats!!
2009-05-24 3:05 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
AWESOME JOB MAN!!! 
2009-05-24 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zephyrhills, FL
nice work in all 3 disciplines. real nice bike split. congrats on the win
2009-05-25 7:33 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
You are awesome!  It was fun to read a RR by someone who really knows what he's doing, very impressive.

It was a pleasure meeting you Sunday at 288.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Combat Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed