Tribob
98F / 37C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 6s
Overall Rank = 133/555
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 11/121
Pre-race routine:

There was no routine for this as the race did not start until 1:50PM. There was a sprint in the morning, so the OD had the afternoon start. I started off the day with a modest breakfast, re-checked my bags, and then took my bike to the transport bus. I arrived at the race site around 11AM. Checked in, picked up my kit, and listened to the race briefing. After the briefing I headed to transition and then met my friends from work who came with me to have a fun weekend at the beach and spectate.
Event warmup:

Warmup: Just a short swim, maybe 300M just to check out the water.
Swim
  • 28m 44s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

I told my friends I would be between 26 and 30 minutes, so I'm not disappointed with the time. I definitely have some work to do. As usual, my hip flexors tightened up throughout the swim (which never happens in training for some reason) and caused some problems on the bike, but overall it was a good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Run harder from the beach to the water. I felt like I got run over from the start line to the water. This was my first ever beach start race. Pretty interesting! I did well getting started once we were in.
The exit/re-entry to the water for the second loop was also a new experience. I don't think I would do anything differently, but is also something that could use some practice.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

This was a kick ass T1 for me. I'm usually around 2min+. Yes, I didn't have a wetsuit, but I did have to put on my tri-top while wet.
Good Stuff!
Bike
  • 1h 26m 34s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Between the heat, my crampy hip flexors, and the heat/humidty (did I say that twice?) I just couldn't get anything going on the bike. I was very disappointed with this portion of the race. I had no power in the hills in the first 20k and couldn't seem to maintain speed. I felt like I, and was, simply free falling through the field as I was getting smoked. At the water bottle hand off at 20k things changed for the better. With two cold bottles of water, and a Roctane that had taken affect, the wind was back in my sails and I was more in the 20-22mph range with the exception of a couple climbs. This, however, was not enough to make up for the sub-17mph pace in the first 20k.

I really just wasn't ready for the course or my hips to cramp up. I definitely haven't been doing the hip flexor stetches I need to do (everyday), but now I know where I am, and what I need to do to get ready for Desaru in 9 weeks.
Saving Grace: My friends told my that the announcer told all the spectators (after the race had begun) that the bike course is actually very difficult and 1:10:00 time is excellent for this course. Maybe I can get back to that pace for next year.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

This was another pretty decent transition. I didn't waste anytime, and there was a bout a 50m+ run from the dismount line to the beginning of the TA.

I don't know, run faster? Maybe not where bike gloves??
Run
  • 47m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, eventhough I was running over 7:30 pace, I still smoked the run course by comparison to the people that were out there at the same time. I'd like to say I didn't get passed by anyone, but the first place female did fly by me in my first lap...good for her, she was awesome.
At any rate, for the conditions, I was happy with the run. I did walk through (10-15steps) two aid stations just to stay fueled and get enough liquid to stay cool.

Not much I could do differently. I did consider eating a second gel in the first 5k on the run, but didn't know if it would really make a difference before I finished. At each aid station I drank two isotonics (gatoradish drink, very light flavor, and good), one glass of water, and took two sponges when available. Once they were out of sponges I switched to a glass of water on my head!
Post race
Warm down:

Just a little stretching, a lot of liquid, and walking around the race site.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As much as I hate to say it, the heat/humidity, and some not too great training. Not too mention this was my first race back since my stress fracture and multiple months of no traning.

Last updated: 2009-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:44 | 1500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/121
Overall: 86/555
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-Shorts, No Top
Course: Two Loop course. The first loop took about 20 miniutes if I read my watch correctly at the turn around. The second loop was obviously shorter and on the inside of the first loop.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 29C / 84F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:26:34 | 24.85 miles | 17.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/121
Overall: 391/555
Performance: Below average
1:26:34*** ***Being a 4 minute stop to fix a mechanical issue. about 10-15k into the race my saddle decided to fall over. Some how, and shame on me for not checking, the bolts loosened and the saddle nosed down. I had to stop, reposition the saddle, and tighten the bolts. This sucked mentally as 40+ people passed by while I was working on the problem.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Beautiful, but damn hard! Apparently, "Undulating" is singaporean/indonesian for hilly as hell with a couple climbs. The course covered much of the roads on the north side of Bintan, rolled through 3 different resorts and passed through the town/village area where many of the locals and kids came out to cheer for all the athletes. Great course, but very challenging.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:15 | 06.21 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/121
Overall: 28/555
Performance: Average
Course: The run was also "Undulating". Like the bike this was also a challenging but beautiful course. 2 laps of a 5k course: 1.5k was along the beach front, 2k was through the resort, buildings, palm trees etc...shaded and nice, and 1.5k was what I decided to call the "Bintan Death March" of pure afternoon sun at your back and then in your face. It was rough. Lots of people walking!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes