Pelican Fest LLC
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 05m 58s
Overall Rank = 35/258
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, ate eggs and a waffle and drove up to Windsor being ridiculously tired. Not a morning person. Started waking up along the way. Got there and picked up my registration stuff, found my rack, figured out the transition area, etc. Ran into Julia (juliapurr), saw Mike Ricci, talked to Mark (Van Akkeren, my coach) and warmed up.
Event warmup:

I know that I take a long time to warm up and get my breathing and body into a rhythm. I hopped on the bike and rode for a few miles with some harder spin-ups and then staying aerobic for most of it. After that I went and ran about a mile and a half, put on my wetsuit and walked over to the swim start where I got in the water for maybe 10 minutes. Getting in the water was good but I realized later that I need to throw in a few sustained harder efforts in my warm up to really get going.
Swim
  • 17m 25s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out fine and ran into a logjam at the first buoy where we made a 90* turn left. It was a straight shot from there. After moving through that area I had a hard time getting into a rhythm. Not sure why. I swallowed a some water and spent some time hacking that up - had to make a few brief stops for that. Once that was resolved I started finally getting into a groove but knew I was in no man's land at that point. Just did what I could from there. Stood up and was disappointed with my time. Second race in a row.

I need to get my swimming figured out so I can get up and race with the people I want to be racing, where I'm more on par with my biking and running. This is keeping me too far behind from the start.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Pretty uneventful. My wetsuit got stuck on my heels which very rarely happens. Outside of that, there weren't any real issues.

Just try and keep moving faster.
Bike
  • 25m 43s
  • 10 miles
  • 23.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Once I was on the bike I started moving by people right away as I got up to speed. The roads were really smooth which was great. Came up on a D3 jersey and was surprised that it was Ricci (who passed me on the swim - he started in second wave, 3 minutes later). Passed a guy at one point who came back later and passed me back but then slowed down and pushed me out of a corner. I figured I'd pass him and drop him after that so I hammered on the pedals and was pushing over 300 watts for a bit, knowing he wouldn't be able to catch up when I went by at about 33mph. I was told by the women's winner later that I was wrong and he just sat on my wheel the rest of the way. Asshole. But he probably got a few snot showers too so it serves him right. Anway, I kept trying to push harder on the bike and was doing well except I didn't really know the finish. We went up on to the sidewalk for a bit and I thought it was the end so I got out of my shoes right away. Turns out we still had maybe a 1/2 mile or more to go and I was already out of my shoes. Wouldn't have made a huge difference at the end but every second counts. Basically followed Julia into T2 (she also started in the second wave).

Was happy to see I had the 2nd best bike in my AG and 13th OA, but I still think I could go a little harder. Not disappointed though.

Know the ending better so I didn't unclip too early. Also should have started riding my tri bike earlier in training. My quads still aren't really there just yet and I can feel it when I'm holding on to a certain watt range that I should be.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Followed Julia into T2 and there was a guy that wouldn't move and was kind of all over the place while running with his bike. It was a long narrow transition so there was no place for her or me to go. No real issues once I got to the rack.

Come into transition ahead of people?
Run
  • 19m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of transition, went by Julia and started out a little off pace just trying to get settled and into a rhythm. There was a girl sitting right on my feet which is fine. I figured I'd drop her but she hung with me for about 2 of the 3 miles and even went by me at once. I run better when I have someone to pace off of so this was good. Besides, I haven't had a cute girl breathing heavy into my ear in a while so I'll take what I can get! Kept waiting and waiting and waiting for the turn around to come and it felt like it never did. The girl passed me for about 100 yards on the way back in so I stayed with her. What was funny was we were going fine and then there was the slightest incline up and over a bridge, and that change of angle on my legs felt so good. It gave them new life. After that the women's winner came cruising by me and I tried running with her for a bit but couldn't hold her pace without blowing up. Another guy got on my feet and as I was getting close I passed my coach and picked it up. I thought I was closer to the finish than I was so I started to go which is good but also a little premature. Finally worked my way around a loop and made it home.

I wasn't sure how I'd run since my pace was about 15-20 seconds off on all my runs during the week due to my race last week. I did the run in 19:45 which is a 5K PR for me by 34 seconds so I was pretty stoked about that since one of my goals (in general, not for this race) was to go under 20 minutes on a 5K.

Know the finish better; otherwise nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged back to the transition area to get my clothes, and then hung out talking to people for a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing the course well enough, but mainly being a poor swimmer!

Event comments:

Good race, started on time, well run. Had a good time and will probably do it again next year.

Last updated: 2009-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:25 | 875 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 124/258
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU Elite Wetsuit
Course: Pretty straight with one turn about 75 yards in.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:25:43 | 10 miles | 23.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 13/258
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty much a rectangle with a little zigging and zagging at the end.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:45 | 03.11 miles | 06m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/14
Overall: 19/258
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on concrete (ugh!) and flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-24 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Pelican Fest Triathlon

2009-05-26 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2170608

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: Pelican Fest Triathlon

fantastic race!  fast bike and a killer run!  very impressive 5k pr!

I did this race a few years back - I hear they changed up the course.  maybe I need to get up there again....

2009-05-26 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Great race, Ryan! your plan looked suspiciously like mine. I'm sorry about that. Swimming sux
2009-05-28 12:22 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Well done on the bike and run, I struggled through the water as well. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pelican Fest Triathlon Rss Feed