General Discussion Race Reports! » Crystal River Triathlon Series - Sprint #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Crystal River Triathlon Series - Sprint #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Crystal River, Florida
United States
Crystal River Triathlon Series
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 29s
Overall Rank = 125/281
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/15
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00. Big bowl of multi-grain cheerios. Loaded up the gear and rode up with Alisyn. Checked in, met up with Steph and Cheryl. Dropped backpack at the car and had some gel.
Event warmup:

~100 yards to get used to the water temp and check out the depth.
Swim
  • 12m 32s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Because of the current, wind, etc. it would up definitely being more than 440 yards...the first person out of the water took 7 minutes. Full contact due to the narrow start area, even though I held back a bit in the beginning. Squeezed inside at the buoy closer than I wanted too (had to contort around the rope) Got too wide off course (even more than everyone else) and almost ran into a lifeguard. Had a good last 200 yards pretty much by myself.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more, get faster. Trying to draft in the back of the pack is frustrating...it seems like just when I finally settle in behind someone he stops/changes to breast stroke, goes off course. I imagine it's wonderful when the person in front of you is just cruising along at a steady and consistent pace.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Didn't rush. Just took my time and went through everything without incident. Socks + bike shoes, race belt take an extra second, but then I save that time in T2. 12/15 age group.

Nothing. I'm happy with the time, could get a little bit faster with practice.
Bike
  • 42m 28s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.19 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course is nice. I wasn't prepared for the headwind on the way out, but it was nice on the way back in. Came out of T1 right behind the eventual women's overall winner. Kept up with her for the first 8 miles or so, but she pulled away on the return leg (she finished 36 seconds ahead of me). Goal for this season: Beat all of the women on the bike.

Not much. Maybe push a little bit harder with the tailwind, but that might have taken too much out of my legs.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Very smooth. 9/15 age group. It would be nice to be able to get out my shoes on the bike, but 3-strap road shoes are too likely to get caught up in the drivetrain for me to risk it in a race.

Find a company that makes tri-shoes in size 50 (and the money to pay for them).
Run
  • 29m 53s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Right on my target pace. Average HR was 164, so I could have pushed it a little bit harder. Coming off the bike in the top 20%, then being in the bottom third of the runners is a bit demoralizing. I feel really out of place with all of the gazelles blowing by me like I'm standing still (including a 12 year old girl who was cruising comfortably at a 7:40 pace).
Some breathing issues at the start, but I relaxed and got it under control.

Run more. Goal for the end of the season: Get in the vicinity of 8:00 miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and found Steph's mom. Waited along the finish chute for Alisyn, Steph and Cheryl to come through.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough run/swim training.

Event comments:

DRC races are really nice. Everything goes like clockwork, and they're cheap. No frills, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Last updated: 2009-03-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:32 | 440 yards | 02m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/15
Overall: 169/281
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Triangle out and back from the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:28 | 15 miles | 21.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 46/281
Performance: Good
Average HR 172. Max HR 180. Max speed 27.8. Avg. speed 21.5 (15.2 miles).
Wind: Some
Course: Out Ft. Island Rd. to the fire station, U-turn back. Open, but little traffic. Bike lane is smoother, but lots of bumps. Car lane is smoother overall, but lots of vibration from the rough pavement.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:53 | 03 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/15
Overall: 188/281
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along the first 1.5 miles of the bike course. There is no shade. Thankfully, it was unseasonably cool. Water at the 1/2 mile marker.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-24 3:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL
Subject: Crystal River Triathlon Series - Sprint #1
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crystal River Triathlon Series - Sprint #1 Rss Feed