General Discussion Race Reports! » Traverse City State Bank Bayshore Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Traverse City State Bank Bayshore Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Traverse City, Michigan
United States
Traverse City Track Club
56F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 15m
Overall Rank = 781/1500
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 67/126
Pre-race routine:

Many of you know that I had planned this race as my first full marathon. Back in April, while attempting another 18 mile run, I decided that the small injuries that kept piling on top of one another were not worth it to me. The only goal I had when I signed up for this race to not get injured...and that was not the direction I was headed. The last thing I wanted was to start my tri season not being able to run.

Five days before this race I started feeling the familiar sore throat/sneeze of a cold coming on. I decided right then and there to rest as much as possible and spent an hour after work every day napping, then going to bed at 9pm. This thing was kicking my butt! On Thursday, when my voice returned, I knew I was heading uphill and knew I'd be able to at least run/walk the 13 miles. Thursday afternoon I did a short, easy bike ride then did a 2 mile run Friday. More confidence building.
Event warmup:

Saturday 4 am arrived and I spent a good hour locked in the hotel bathroom, quietly sneezing, coughing, blowing, hacking, etc so I wouldn't wake my support staff up too early. Once I felt mostly unclogged, I walked on down the hallway and got myself some oatmeal and a banana for the bus ride to the half start point (this is a point-to-point race)
Run
  • 2h 13m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

The morning started nice and cool and overcast. In other words, PERFECT for what I was about to do. Since I'd been sick, I just wanted to take it easy on myself and finish as close to a good time as I could. I started off at an easy pace at just under 10 minute miles and then noticed that my second mile was around 9:30. I immediately told myself to back it down and went to a 10:30 pace. I also let myself walk thru the aid stations. Knowing this was feeling good to me, I kept at this pace for the next several miles and smiled and chatted with everyone around me, even stopping to give a greyhound some love. By mile 7, I noticed that I was not feeling my usual tired self, so I just kept doing what I was doing, thinking that I may be able to finish this with a slightly respectable time! By mile 9, I was feeling AMAZING and felt like I could run all friggin day. Well, after a bio-break. Once I exited the porto, I took off again and picked my pace up to between 9:35 and 9:40. I was amazed to think things out and figure that I might actually come close to hitting a PR for this day! That, however, did not stop me from walking through the next "aid" station some residents put up. When they told me they had take-out cups for the beer, I was sold! I threw back the few ounces they gave me and went on my merry way. I held on to the 9:35ish pace and once I hit the track for the last 300 yards, I was able to pick things up to a near sprint and held that to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Um, not get sick, I guess. I think I used a ton of energy on the course just coughing up phlegm. Other than that, I had a GREAT time with this race, took in the beautiful scenery, and had some laughs with the cheering bystanders. Plus, the fact that I felt so amazingly GOOD at 9 miles has me on quite a high. In the end, I missed a personal best by 2 minutes, but I really don't care. This is, by far, the best I have ever felt in any race of any length and the fact that I did it with what is likely a good little sinus infection has me patting myself on the back. This is my third half marathon in just as many months and I am pretty satisfied with the year, thus far.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

phlegm

Event comments:

I will so be back for the half again next year. Really a gorgeous course that starts at the end of a peninsula with the sun rising. Most of the course is shaded and was well supported at aid stations. Excellent event!

Last updated: 2009-05-24 12:00 AM
Running
02:13:07 | 13.1 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 67/126
Overall: 781/1500
Performance: Good
Course: Point-to-point from the full marathon turn-around to the finish at the high school track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-24 6:44 PM

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI
Subject: Traverse City State Bank Bayshore Half Marathon

2009-05-24 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2170991

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Traverse City State Bank Bayshore Half Marathon

Great job through some tough things, sounds like you were lucky just to make it to the starting line!

Hope we get a chance to train again through the year.

2009-05-24 11:43 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Hey, nice run give then 'taper' and pre-race, err, activities.   Glad you had the good experience and found a race that you like...that makes all the difference.
2009-05-25 7:00 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Great job out there!! Hehe, you drank a beer
2009-05-25 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
I'm so glad you had fun and a great race!  Jogo will be geeked you are  a beer drinking runner just like her! ;-)

Congrats on  a great race, and get your rest...you gotta cheer for us next Sunday...Phlemmy cheerleader just doesn't sound cool does it?
2009-05-25 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Dang!  Nice work despite all the phlegm!  Maybe I'm glad we didn't see you while we were up there...

2009-05-25 10:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
Nice job, noser!
2009-05-28 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Traverse City State Bank Bayshore Half Marathon Rss Feed