General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of TexasTriathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 21s
Overall Rank = 257/1342
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/101
Pre-race routine:

On Sunday, my friend Tia and I traveled down to the race expo, picked up our packets, ran into Aaron, checked in our bikes (covering them with plastic bags to keep the forecasted rain off), and then linked up with our friends Anne and Tanya. We got checked into our hotel (yay for Priceline name your own price), and then headed to Whole Foods for dinner--great place to get something not too heavy, but with options for all! We headed back that evening, made sure our bags were good and actually turned the lights off in the room around 9PM...but I was in and out of sleep and in and out of the bathroom--I was well hydrated. We woke up at 0500, I ate breakfast, and we headed over to get to parking around 0545. Transition was supposed to open at 0600, but was obviously already open. I pumped up my tires, laid out my gear, and started putting on sun block and a guy was trying to hurry us up at 0635?? Really...come on now. Anyhow, got a little rushed out--which cause a minor problem later in the day. Made it down for the National Anthem and the intro of the Wounded Warriors who were racing as part of the Wounded Warrior Project--which is close to me because it's the charity I'm raising money for with Ironman. Then the waves started going off.
Event warmup:

I wanted to run a little bit, but we got kicked out of transition..so, um, nothing...couldn't get in the water early either.
Swim
  • 27m 23s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started off strong, but let me tell you there were some aggressive girls in there, one that would be a pain in my side--literally--several kept trying to swim right into me, push me over, etc, but I had none of it, I mean seriously. I got a little bit of drafting, but once we got to the end of the first leg for the first right turn, there was a gap between me, the front of the pack, and the folks behind me. I was feeling decently strong, but once we turned to head East, even with my shaded goggles, the sun was GLARING--I had to sight much more than usual just because I wasn't quite sure WHAT i was sighting off of, and I had to keep a look at the pack in front of me. I then started catching some of the two waves before us, and that's always a little difficult. I wasn't feeling worn out, but I simply prefer to get done with this part...I tried to remember to kick, but I wasn't doing it as much as I should've, and I think my time shows it. Anyhow, once I made the last turn I was with a group again--I think I caught up to them, and with the group was swimsuit girl that again tried to swim into my side--argh, was driving me nuts. A little bit of a bottleneck at the out ramp and I had wiggle by a few folks.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster--which I think means kick more, I neglected my stroke a little in the middle, and when I regained it is when I caught some of the pack that had broken away from me earlier. I'd love to draft, but seriously, I always seem to be in this middle pocket where I don't have anyone to draft. I think I can do this at a 1:45...would like to do that at Waco in July and Austin in Sept. We'll see.
Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

HOLY CRAP. WORST T1 EVER. It doesn't help that it was at least 250m from the swim exit, out and around and up to my transition spot while running through dirt that became mud on my feet. I ALWAYS run out of the swim, and I had no problem doing it, got my wetsuit to my waist, took off my cap and goggles and the cap ended up falling off to the right..I suppose I could've let it go, but I stopped to pick it up. 1st time waster moment. Then I get to my rack and have a horrible time getting the dumb wetsuit off. 2nd time waster moment. My feet are COVERED in mud, had to get some of that off before I put my shoes on--dusted a little off on my towel, but not much. 3rd time waster moment. Got my shoes, glasses, helmet on, grabbed my bike, and dang it if the person next to me had pushed their bag into my bike and it got stuck on my pedal. 4th time waster moment. I get that undone and start the at least 250m (maybe longer) run from my rack spot to the mount line--as I'm about half-way there my right quad cramps up--crap, what is this. I've had side stitches and calf cramps but NEVER a quad cramp, I had to slow down. 5th time waster moment. Then I realize since I got rushed out of transition I didn't move my chain ring from little/little, so I wasn't at the starting getar I wanted. 6th time waster moment--but not too bad. Crappy, crappy T1
26/101 ranking

Work on wetsuit removal, let the cap go, not have a quad cramp. The wetsuit was really bad. This transition, for both bike and run, is one thing I dislike about CapTex and the Austin Tri--they are so HUGE that you are inevitably going to have long transitions (though mine here should've been faster) just so you can get from A-B...i'm much better at transitions than this.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Starting off was a little tough as my right quad was tight from the cramp. I took the first pass of the hills up past the Capital a little slower than I would the rest of the race, once I turned around and hit the downhills I was back into a groove and started pushing from there. The course was crowded, but not too bad. When I hit the flats/slight downhills headed out towards Lake Austin BLVD I was pushing 23-26. I was passing several folks. On the 3rd loop, after refilling the aero bottle, I started to put the bottle back and someone came up to pass (I was right) WAY closer than they needed too...and I dropped the bottle. Darn it...oh well, it was empty. I was pushing pretty hard and there weren't too many sprinters that hit the course till my last loop, and that last loop I really put the hammer down with what I had left knowing that I did have to run, so a little in reserve. My turns were "okay" but they were crowded and you simply had to slow to be safe. I don't particularly care for all the turns on this course...but overall, I feel like I did it pretty well.

I would of liked to have started off a little stronger, but the quad cramp really slowed me down that first loop. I'd like to see a 22 avg. on an Olympic course one of these days. Still a good ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

I'm kind of disappointed with this time, except for I remembered that it was, again, at least a 150m from the dismount line to my rack, and then another good 150-200m to the run course start. I got to my rack no problem and bike racked, got the shoes on--all the dirt came off in the bike shoes on, grabbed my hat, bottle, and race belt and took off. There is a HUGE (for my short legs) step that you have to go up to get to the run entrance. Not too bad of a time..can get better.
5/101 ranking

Not sure, thought I did this well--but the time was long--get a rack closer to the center aisle? I got there pretty early for racking, but it seemed like most of the 98 girls in my AG did the same.
Run
  • 50m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay, I have been running for roughly 2.5 to 3 weeks prior to this after having to take 6+ weeks off of running due to a stress fracture on the head of my right fibula. The furthest I had gone in my training for this, at one time, was 4 miles. I wasn't sure what to expect. I did know I wanted to negative split it...I wanted to keep steady for the first loop and then speed it up on the second loop. I did just that. I miss my sub 8's (except that last mile), but I am very happy that I was able to do this with no pain at all.

Not get a stress fracture two months beforehand...lose some weight. I plan to do both before my next olympic (TriWaco 7/26) and I want to get back sub 2:30 (PR is 2:28)...I have a new goal to do a 45 min 10k in an Olympic.
Can't complain too much here--goes to show how much bike fitness can help keep the run fitness.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, waited for friends finish, grabbed a Chocolate Silk Soymilk drink as a cool down...chit chatted, grabbed my gear, took it to the car, came back, searched for Aaron ALL OVER THE PLACE (we are supposed to get a picture for my BT album and it keeps NOT happening). Karen did see me though and we chit chatted briefly, so that was great!! Thanks for saying hi Karen.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

-Need better focus in the swim on my form, must remember to kick stronger.
-Must get better at removal of wetsuit on my own...or just do races with wetsuit strippers (I'm going with get better on my own)
-Quad cramp in T1
-Stress fracture recovery = minimal run time prior to race

Event comments:

This is a good race--it is a BIG race. I liked the run course, not fond of the 4 loops on the bike, but not too bad. The swim is a good swim, except for swimming into the sun sucked, but no biggie. The thing I dislike about races on Auditorium Shores are the HUGE transitions and the LONG transition runs. Oh well--otherwise, it was good schwag, "okay" expo, and a beautiful day to race. This brings out a good, solid, competitive crowd, and they handled it all well. I'll be back, and I'll be faster! :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:23 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 23/101
Overall: 363/1342
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Fuzion no sleeve
Course: Oval type course, out to the left, right turn, long out, right turn, then left turn into the finish
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:10:33 | 24.85 miles | 21.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/101
Overall: 287/1342
Performance: Good
Garmin kept going on and off, not sure what's up.
Wind: Some
Course: 4xloop starting on 1st Street, take a right to connect to Congress, go N. past the Capital, hit a hill, hit some down hills, turn around, go back down past the Capital, take a right on Cesar Chavez (I think) go down to Lake Austin BLVD, turn around, go back to S. 1st Street, turn around and repeat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:27 | 06.21 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/101
Overall: 296/1342
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 8:01 165AHR Mile 2: 8:11 171AHR Mile 3: 8:12 170AHR Mile 4: 8:05 173AHR Mile 5: 8:02 175AHR Mile 6: 7:52 177AHR Mile.2: 2:10 (6:59 pace) 181AHR
Course: 2 loop course, starts out going W on Riverside, then N. by Jack and Adams, then back S. to Riverside, E on Riverside, N. on Congress, then R. on then left around the block then left again, back down to Riverside, then repeat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-05-25 6:44 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-05-25 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2172191

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance
You write an RR as fast you race.
2009-05-25 8:38 PM

Ann arbor, Michigan
Hi Brittany,

I'm 99% sure that I saw you in the parking garage after the race but by the time I got back around no such luck.  Hopefully I'll see you in Waco.  Plans for that to be my first Oly, but, um...well, we'll see.  CapTri went well, I think.  Still don't have results yet. (OK, just saw the results...think I'll be working on Sprint for a while yet!)  Still gotta work on that bike to run transition.  My legs need a mile.  Oh yeah, the lack of warm up swim...my float needs a 300 yard warm up too!  Congrats on a good race.  I'm with you on the transition distance...ugh!  I hit .2 before I was even on the run course! 

Kedra

Edited by kishop 2009-05-25 8:53 PM
2009-05-25 10:39 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Nice RR.  Good job on the race!

2009-05-26 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Great job on the race! I saw you come out of the swim and yelled "go Brittany" but I'm sure you didn't hear. The guy standing next to me thought you were flying. I've done Cap TX once and am not overly fond of the 4 loop bike course either. Those u-turns get pretty dangerous, but it looks like you didn't have any problems. It was a great day for a race.
2009-05-26 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

great race. despite all the "issues", you still had an amazing race. your s/b/r times are all very speedy...yes, you'd like them to be speedier...but in the big scheme, with all the time off you've had on the run...you're most excellent friend! great great job!!

2009-05-26 12:13 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Wow great race!!
I am always in the same place swimming as you said... in the middle with the front pack just ahead of me and no one to draft off of. Oh well!

I'm impressed with your run after your injury and time off... wow!
2009-05-26 12:29 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
That's pretty darn fast in general...nevermind how fast it is for coming off an injury!

Woot!
2009-05-26 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
HEY! Great seeing you too! I also yelled at you on the run one time. Not sure you remember though.

You had a blazing fast race girl! You certainly prove that our armed forces are in prime shape and ready to take on anything at a moment's notice!

With regards to the transition... according to the website... it was open from 6-7... OR if you read another location on the website it was open from 5:30-6:30 AM. So yeah, maybe that was the correct one?

2009-05-26 2:39 PM

Master
Houston

As always you rocked it and very impressive effort post injury!  Great job Brit!

2009-05-26 5:40 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
Your worst T1 ever was a minute faster than mine.

2009-05-26 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Nice race! I was passing you back and forth on the bike for a while and then you finally went by me as I was walking somewhere on the run course.
2009-05-27 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Good lawdy woman that's movin'!!! Nice work out there. I saw JeepFleeb in transition (he spotted the two pair of goggs around my neck, apparently) and said hi. He mentioned you were in this race so after the race I saw someone who MIGHT be you and just walked up and said `Are you MP?' and she just looked at me all funny and said `No. I'm Sarah.' I was like `Oh. Hi Sarah. Nice to meet you.' and walked away in all sorts of shame. Anyway awesome race out there!!!
2009-05-27 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Very nice race.  Congrats.
2009-05-27 7:34 PM

User image

Regular
Erbil
Good race, great run considering the injury.  Thanks again for your service to our country!  I appriciate the freedom!
2009-05-29 8:30 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Youare so FAST even coming off an injury...hope you are well and happy

2009-05-30 7:19 AM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
great job at captex. i feel your pain on those looooong transition runs. sorry T1 was such a drag. the season is early so take your time with the running and it will come back to you. great job with your AG finish!
2009-05-30 8:24 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Nice top ten finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed