Ironman North America Athlete Services
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 52m 7s
Overall Rank = 1619/2665
Age Group = W35-39
Age Group Rank = 68/110
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 230am afraid I would miss my 330a alart.Bike checked in,transition bag ready to go. Got into race clothes, got nutrition drinks etc mixed and woke my husband up so he could drive me over to Disney. Kids stayed sleeping, home with Susan. Dan would go back to get them after he dropped me off at the race site.
Event warmup:

Got to transition, can't believe the number of bikes! Good thing I brought my own pump. No designated spots on bike racks, good thing I racked early. Not really a lot of room to put transition set up or bag. Once situated, I took a walk down to the water to trace the route I will take back to transition. Once back in transition, I traced the route I would take to run in with bike, then back out for run. Double checked transition set up. Grabbed goggles, pre race banana, and race cap. Left transition, ready for the games to begin!
Swim
  • 52m 43s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was so excited and ran right into the water when the airhorn sounded. As soon as my face it the water, I had a foot hit me square in the head. I gasped and got a mouthful of water which started the cascade of a near panic attack. I flipped over on my back to do the back stroke and get a grip when people just started swimming right over me. I swam on my back to just about the first buoy. Then I realized I really needed to get down to business. There were no more white caps behind me. I finally started to swim freestyle and was able to breath bilaterally in a decent rhythm. I passed a bunch of white caps so at least I wasn't last in my wave. I was really having a hard time siting- my goggles where really foggy. I swam off course a lot. I wonder what my time would have been without all the drama.
What would you do differently?:

Spit in my goggles to prevent the fog up issue. Tried to get a grip and swim freestyle earlier. I probably would have not jumped right in, instead I probably should have shied off to the back/ side of my wave to prevent the mauling.
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

The transition to the bike was really far from the swim. I sprinted there and took my cap, goggles, and swim skin off by the time I reached my bike. It still took me 3:41 before I passed the mat to exit transition.

Nothing- I did the best I could and felt very efficient.
Bike
  • 3h 11m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.57 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a lot of extra weight on my bike trying to makesure I stayed hydrated. I had the xtra gallon of water on the back (Never Reach System) from which I might add the water tasted just like the plastic container (gross) and I had my double aero bottle and another bottle in my bottle holder.I felt great to begin with then the pace started to slow around mile 45. I picked it back up for the last 2 miles and felt good.
I was very proud of myself because I actually got into my aero bars (not for long, but long enough). I've been very afraid of this position,but I'm getting more comfortable with my bike handling skills.

Maybe less fluid in tow for the ride? There were aid stations, and fresh would have tasted better anyway. By the time I was done, by fluid was old and warm.
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

It seemed like the distance from dismount to the place where we passed over the bike transition mat was quite a distance away. I ran as best I could with my bike. I racked my bike and it fellover, I racked it again and it stayed. I had to actually tie my laces to my sneakers because I was afraid to wear yankz- they hurt the top of my feet during long runs and I really wanted to be comfortable.

Not sure....
Run
  • 2h 40m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

OMG this was a very hard run! Not because it was hilly or anything like that. It was just very hot and hazardous with the rough terrain. I tried not to keep drinking, I didn't want to bloat, but I was very thirsty. I walked through each aid station, put two cups of water over my head, a cup of ice down my shirt and a cup to go so I could crunch ice cubes between stations. Overall, I think my strategy was OK because I didn't really walk like I was most doing. I was able to maintain a steady jog and was able to pick it up just a little at the end.

Not sure... It was just so HOT!!!Compared to everyone else, I think I did OK.
Post race
Warm down:

Susan brought me soap and a washcloth but there really wasn't anywhere to wash up. I went into the public bathroom and washed up what I could in the sink/ changed my clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and the run course where absolute obstacles to my performance.

Event comments:

I was so excited in the beginning... and then I had my issue with the swim where I thought I might drown. Then the bike started to feel really really long, like it would never end. By the time I got to the run, it was just a matter of survival. Finally, I got to the finish line!!!

Last updated: 2008-12-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:43 | 2112 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 86/110
Overall: 1784/2665
Performance: Below average
Max HR 172 Average 158
Suit: Swim Skin over bike shorts/ tank top
Course: Horse shoe shaped
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:11:17 | 56 miles | 17.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 70/110
Overall: 1708/2665
Performance: Good
Max Hr 181 average HR 165
Wind: Headwind
Course: The first 40 miles were fast- I was getting very excited that I would have an awesome bike split. Somewhere between 40-45 miles the head wind started- pretty strong. Then it felt like there was this constant slight grade up hill mixed with general rolling hills. Around mile 45 we hit major traffic and the bike course got a little dicey to say the least. I was actually concerned about my physical safety- that in combination with the headwinds and general fatigue kicking in really messed my pace up.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:40:00 | 13.1 miles | 12m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 68/110
Overall: 1537/2665
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 11:08 pace; Max HR 164, Average 160 Mile 2: 12:10; Max HR 165, Average 161 Mile 3: 12:25 Max HR165 Average 161 Mile 4 12:23 Max HR168 Average 162 Mile 5 11:11 Max HR 169 Average 162 Mile 6 12:16 Max HR 167 Average 161 Mile 7 12:49 Max HR 163 Average 157 Mile 8 12:27 Max HR159 Average 157 Mile 9 12:35 Max HR 160 Average 157 Mile 10 12:43 Max HR 158 Average 156 Mile 11 14:32 Max HR157 Average 153 Mile 12 13:28 Max HR 160 Average 155 Mile 13 (+.1) 11:48 Max HR 174 Average 165
Course: Half asphalt, half grass/dirt. Very freaking HOT
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes