General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of TexasTriathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 15s
Overall Rank = 20/1327
Age Group = invitational
Age Group Rank = 15/38
Event warmup:

POP break and then quick 5min jog. got wetsuit on and then another quick 5min swim.
Swim
  • 21m 41s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

started off well and hit a good pace for the first 300m but after rounding the first buoy i started to lose some steam. i was riding paul terranova's feet and then watch them fade into the distance so i grabbed another pair that ended of leaving me after another 200m and then settled on the last pair feet that towed me home. i felt like was was completely pooped by midway. i could tell the lack of swimming lately made today seem like i was being pulled underwater.
What would you do differently?:

get back to 3-4swims a week with 10-12k yards.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

this was a long run on gravel and cement that killed my feet by the team the bike started.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 38s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.81 mile/hr
Comments:

first lap was rough. i was still struggling from the swim and my legs were dead. i actually struggled with passing a woman on the first lap (no offense to women but that should not be a huge issue for me when racing AGers) and then battled with a 15 yr old kid on the 2nd lap before i got my act together and dropped him. after that i was pushing a better pace for the last 2 laps but still had some trouble with pushing a really big gear. was passed by about 4-5 guys on the bike and i passed a couple. took in about 180cal of infinit on the bike.

continue to push harder than what i fell comfortable with
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

lost a few extra seconds putting on socks
Run
  • 38m 49s
  • 6.4 miles
  • 06m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

started out really well and pushed for the first 2miles and then slowed a little bit to get passed by one person. that guy put a good 50yd gap on me and held it for the next 2 miles. i continued to plug along but didnt seem to make much ground until mile 4 when i felt my stride make up for my lack of turnover. i then closed the gap real fast on the guy in front of me and then proceeded to pase another 6-7 guys in the last 1.5miles. little did i know down the stretch there was another guy burning rubber behind me and as i turned on riverside he was creeping amoung on the AGers. as i started to enter the finish chute i heard the crowd noise pikcup only to see a guy closing fast. i tried to go into a sprint but it was to late and my late had no snap. i got passed a few steps before the mat. it was a rookie mistake and i need to remember to watch my back b/c it aint over til its over.

watch my back more on the last .25 mile for people gaining on me. probably should have taken a gel on the run for a bit more energy.
Post race
Warm down:

drank lots of vitamin water and ate lots of pizza until transition opened to pickup our stuff. waited around for 2hours and roasted in the sun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

feel this last month of training has been sporatic and lacking focus at times. really slacked on the swimming and feel like i was rested coming into race.

Last updated: 2009-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:41 | 1640 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/38
Overall: 0/1327
Performance: Average
Suit: full xterra VP2
Course: single loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:02:38 | 24.85 miles | 23.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/38
Wind:
Course: 4 laps, mainly flat with a couple short, steep climbs
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:38:49 | 06.4 miles | 06m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/38
Performance: Good
Course: 2 laps with one climb on each loop. course was .2 mile long for a 10k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-05-25 10:07 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-05-26 12:00 AM
in reply to: #2172493

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Todde, great race out there, sounds like there were a few rough spots, despite it all your bike and run splits were top notch as usual!!! It's all good though time to get focused and you will be ready for a great race at Buff Springs next month.
2009-05-26 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Great job as usual, even while battling some issues. That's a very competitive invitational group you race against and Cap-Tex is one of the fastest.

You'll be dialed in for BSLT.

Never underestimate racing against women and children; or the guy behind you.
2009-05-26 9:32 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Solid performance, as usual, and great train up for BSLT...I was sitting on the wall waiting for my wave when you ran by out of the swim! The tri season is just getting started...lots more fun to be had!
2009-05-28 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
todde, another great race as usual.  You jut know how to push it even when the going gets tough.  The season is early, ramp up for BSLT and get that kona slot!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed