barely
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 6'8 Division
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Course Set Up - Really busted some tail on this one. I t was kinda cool at 6:30am, but went out early to mark the run course and the HOT Corner - where everyone got lost. I had 6oz of Pickle Juice and a Boost in the car while riding.

7am picked up AronJar for the bike course marking. WE swept and marked and really moved to be back by 8:30am - I think I need to hire a bigger crew or find a better and quicker way to mark the course. WE survived the whole time and without major issue until I was writing CAUTION by Hwy 67 - yep - tore up the finger on the ground - nice n bloody
Event warmup:

Running around car with Aron Jarr to chalk up the course and sweep corners was enuff but still was chasing around before we atarted. I took a Torch Pre Burn and wanted some gel but forgot.

I did mix up a race mix -
24oz of Heed Lemon Lime with 1.5 vanilla gel mixed in for the bike
8oz of Heed Orange with 1 shot Orange gel, 6 oz orange Heed for the run
12 Endurolytes - 8 bike and 4 run
Swim
  • 05m 32s
  • 380 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Solid swim today but definitely not my best. I got out in the front of the group and tried to push through faster but just did not feel it. I did stay very straight to the buoys, I saw people veering all over but I kept it true coming home- or I was left of everyone, not quite sure. BUT this was about 20s faster than last year.
What would you do differently?:

Find out if I was really straight or not. It may not have felt great but results were good (btw the Lats are feeling it today while I write this)
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Transition went well - practice for Alcatraz. I brought shoes down to the beach with Helmet and Garmin. I was the only one changinf there, it helped because I had no crowd to worry about. It was quick and easy and probably saved time on the wet suit strip. Approx same time amount as last year, but ran past people up tot the garage and snagged the bike.

Set up the mat more to make it easier - but it was just some prep for EfA
Bike
  • 58m 23s
  • 19.5 miles
  • 20.04 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a good course. I have taken it many times. Without wind, it is a fast course with some good straight aways. It rolls. BUT when there is a EASTERLY wind - it negates most of the straights. You have to roll the most consecutive miles to the east so those winds were BRUTAL. We were are 21.5mph at the 7 mile mark. By the time we hit town, it was about 20.5 and east we went again - knocking us down to 20.

Then we hit Mexican Hill and soon after Hammann Hill. Mex is a step start and taper down - tuff to just casually climb. Then Hammann is a longer climb with a tapering upward at the end. It really played on the legs (especially after the 14.5mile run on Saturday)

It kinda played out like this. 3 or 4 guys borke out ahead of me and Clint recognized I was tearing out of there. He jumped on the badwagon and followed closely. I realized quickly some people missed some turns. I saw someone go right before the Osthoff and one person miss the turn in Town. But I hoped they could figure out the course and come back ( I did attach the course map and hand one out, I guess I need better brighter markings and to remember to put one in town.)

Clint and I kept tearing ahead, we lead, by default. We never saw anyone, so I called Craig to see if he would redirect a few people, no answer, just left a message and back to aero I go. WE were flying to this point and turned south. It really got nasty when we turned back EAST. BOOM the wind hit us and it was NAsty. We fought through and finally saw one person catching us (GUESS WHO?)

Yams caught us and we both tried to draft off him, It helped but he is hard to keep up with just drafting on him. We headed back to town and ready to do the Big Carrot Loop. Of course we headed East - into the lil wind.

Finally we hit Mexican hill and Up Up Up we went. I climbed it well and timed all the shifts just right. And I knew once at the top it was down hill a bit. Hit the down hill and had the cross wind until the turn towards hwy 67. Going west I was flying around 35-40 with no effort - thanks wind, one of 2 times it helped.

I had to almost stop at HWY 67 like most busy roads, and called clear for CLint. I think he benefitted from that a bit. It hurt me but Safety first. WE approached golf course road and went left to Hammann hill. CLimbing again. I made it up and barely used the granny ring. I needed it at the end, but less than before. I did here in the background, "I'm out of gears! - I'll use my donkey gear!" Again, at the top, it was downhill and then a flat home.

I flew the rest and slwed at the intersections for caution.

Maybe push more, seems like I had some left based onthe HR, but wanted to set up a nice run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

WEnt well, prbably would have been better without a blast of water to the face while stripping shoes on the bike, almost bit it. Instead rolled past garage and got our anyway. racked and ran, but had to stop - forgot the visor.

remember the visor and get feet out earlier to avoid children water blasts
Run
  • 43m 38s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of T2 and people were telling me to catch Clint and Rob - not gonna happen. I M not that fast. But goal was to go sub 9's. I kept the pace up nicely. I actually went over 9m/m but that was on the hillier parts.

As always, I did get pased by people, Joe flew past me like I was walking, he asked how long the run was - "5 miles" He ran 8.1 for giggles. He missed the turn back in town. Kyle passed me and dassoj. Those guys are fast. I am okay with being passed by them. I was witing for Josh/mutri to pass me but realized after that he went short carrot run. I just kept moving along at a good sub 9 pace and drinking my mix, just was starting to feel bloated a bit. So about mile 3.5 I tuned back off the drinking, I finished the gel/Heed mi and figured I should be good for 15 mins or less.

After the long stretch on P, I passed the boat launch and turned on Cty JP. HILLY! Up and down and up and down with more big ups to start. But made it through fine. I hit town and decided to push it in as best I could - I kept a sub 8m/m for the final mile after the slower hill mile.

Felt good and dtrong, but definitely done ( legs are still toast today)

Maybe alter the nutrition plan abit.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit but had to do a recovery ride - to recover those who are still out there. That was a tuff 5 mile ride, it hurt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

a 14.5 mile endurance run on Saturday - that hurt

Event comments:

course maps

big carrot ride
http://toporoute.com/cgi-bin/bicycle.cgi?routeKey=TFJIFFUVFRLMANS&c...

big carrot run
http://toporoute.com/cgi-bin/bicycle.cgi?routeKey=WJRIGAKHUDBTCBV&c...

little carrot bike
http://toporoute.com/cgi-bin/bicycle.cgi?routeKey=CYWCDTJVXVKRFHI&c...

little carrot run
http://toporoute.com/cgi-bin/bicycle.cgi?routeKey=AXOLDITLWKMVIFH&c...

Last updated: 2009-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:32 | 380 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: blue seventy helix
Course: out and back - Garmin verified as 0.21 mile
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:58:23 | 19.5 miles | 20.04 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course: Elkhart Lake sprint course with the extra carrot http://toporoute.com/cgi-bin/bicycle.cgi?routeKey=TFJIFFUVFRLMANS&calls=setNormalView,clearMetric,setFollowRoad,setRouteLocked
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:38 | 05 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Course: Round the Lake - Hilly http://toporoute.com/cgi-bin/bicycle.cgi?routeKey=WJRIGAKHUDBTCBV&calls=setNormalView,clearMetric,clearFollowRoad,setRouteLocked
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-25 10:09 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: DonkeyMan

2009-05-28 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2172494

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Subject: RE: DonkeyMan
Awesome RR! Again so sorry I had to miss this.
2009-05-28 4:41 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

How's the fingers from the sweep?  Did you get first aid?  Was there an aid station?

Nice job with your own race!

EEEAAAWWW!!!

2009-05-28 4:50 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Dood...awesome times..great race.  I have to be honest though...I was cursing your name on both those hills. 

Edited by amyjotris 2009-05-28 4:50 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » DonkeyMan Rss Feed