USAT
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 11m 4s
Overall Rank = 109/
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and ate standard breakfast of PB+J on toast. Drank some water and drove over to site.
Event warmup:

Stood in the long line to get packet/chip and finally into transition area. Set up everything, left out "cold weather" clothing options just in case. Hopped into the pool for about 10 minutes for some easy laps and practice turns - determined to master the open-turn-under-the-rope this time!!
Swim
  • 06m 49s
  • 330 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall I was so pleased with this swim coming off last weekend where I totally botched up every turn. I caught the girl in front of me in the first 100m and just stayed at her feet the rest of the way. Time is slightly deceiving because there was a super-long run after the pool before we crossed into T1.
What would you do differently?:

I forgot to start my watch at the start of the swim (too busy chatting!!) so when I got out of the pool was unable to record my isolated swim time...next time...
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

T1 was slowwwww mostly because I was concerned about being cold on the bike course. The air temp was ok but sun was unreliable and it was also windy. So I chose to go with arm warmers and a bike jersey....which took FOREVER to put on. Yikes. We were also racked according to our swim times so everyone around my bike was transitioning at the same time - crowded!

Next time choose a long-sleeve jersey (1-piece) instead of 3 pieces.
Bike
  • 37m 52s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.43 mile/hr
Comments:

About 1/2 way through the course I tried to push myself...my goal was a 18mph+ average. However the legs just didn't seem to respond and after about a mile of pushing I just decided that it "wasn't my day" and cruised in to try and prepare for a good run.

Of course the next day, I discovered a 1/8" chunk of glass embedded in my rear tire. Had I ridden the course on a flat? Probably. At least that's what I'm telling myself...

Nothing. I felt confident in my mental "handling" of the situation even though I didn't know it was externally caused.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Much more room in T2 because my swim group was all separated on the bike. However once I changed equipment I a) tried to run out the wrong way and b) forgot my race belt. Way to go!!! Thanks to the girl at the next rack over for reminding me where to run out.

Memorize the transition layout!
Run
  • 22m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Happy! Just stuck with a high cadence the first mile or so than began to push things. I missed the first mile marker so had no idea how I stood on my splits. Just tried to keep tempo and pick off runners ahead of me one by one.

It's hard to remember that in a time-trial start, even when you see runners ahead of you, they may actually have slower overall times. When I was running out, there were people running in and I thought I was wayyyyyy back in the pack. Basically my mind playing tricks on me - I finished better than anticipated!!

Look over the run course and memorize mile marker landmarks.
Post race
Warm down:

Post-race food was hard to find. I missed it completely and packed all my stuff up before someone told me there were snacks. Thank goodness!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't take the course very seriously and due to operator error was unable to track my progress (swim start watch issue, T2 fiasco and run mile markers). However when I was actually on the course I was happy with the mental adaptations I made.

Last updated: 2009-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:49 | 330 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/23
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts and top
Course: Snake pool swim.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:52 | 11 miles | 17.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Mostly false flats throughout the campus and countryside. Lots of intersections but fairly good police/volunteer presence to take care of us. I did have to slow down but never stop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good