General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » Fat guy newbie looking for decent bike....very beginner level road/tri bike. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED
2009-05-26 9:19 AM

Subject: Fat guy newbie looking for decent bike....very beginner level road/tri bike.
No real idea what has inspired me to get into Tri's.

A co-worker went into the Dr with a cold, and came out with a bleak prognosis of a rare strain of lymphnoma. I had already decided on trying biking this summer by the time I found out about this. I was sick of bouncing around my living room to a video each morning and needed some fresh air added to the fitness of things. So I bought a bike and decided I would do a 150 mile bike ride in my co-workers name. I bought a hybrid, nice bike and does everything I wanted it to.

what it doesnt do is pick up a few extra MPH for the same effort.

Im 265 lbs 6'2 with 32 inch inseam so slightly long torso for my size.

Im not certain if I wanted a dedicated tri bike, or a road bike for dual purpose. I would entertain all offers.

Before someone asks, Im not 100% certain on bike size. Im figuring 54cm. I hope to get on some this week and get it a little closer. I realize it wont be a professional fit. But looking for something to get my into the sport. Relatively inexpensive all things considered. A 5 year old bike wouldnt matter to me, just something thats mechanically sound and ready to ride.

Im located in Central Wisconsin, would prefer to try the bike for size in person as I dont have all the stats I need.

2009-05-26 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2172901

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl
Subject: RE: Fat guy newbie looking for decent bike....very beginner level road/tri bike.

Go to the LBS and get sized right.  I didn't know what size I was.  I seem to be on the boarder of 54 and 56.  This last weekend, I went to the bike shop to buy a bike and they had me on a 54.  When I got into the drops, my knees and elbows overlapped by a couple inches with several adjustments.  They moved me to a 56 (which I have ridden and felt it was too big) and made a couple adjustments and I felt like gold.  I ended up with the 56....

I myself stand 5'10" with a 31" inseam (per a measurment of my pants)....

2009-05-26 11:54 AM

Subject: RE: Fat guy newbie looking for decent bike....very beginner level road/tri bike.
I have a 08 Griifen Raptor tri bike(54cm) for sale. It has complete ultegra components, neuvation wheels, and blackwell research aerobars. The bad thing is that I live in oklahoma. asking $1100.

thanks,
ms
2009-05-26 1:36 PM

I should add and I didnt earlier.

Looking to spend around 5-600 (if thats possible)

Basically hoping to pick up some MPH and some comfortability over my hybrid for the longer rides. If I'm avg 13 on my Hybrid I figure for the same energy used I should be around 15. Over the course of 75 mile rides two days in a row that may be a significant saving in time. Or energy for the same amount of time.
2009-05-26 2:05 PM

First welcome to the sport.  I am farily new myself and contempated about tri or road bike myself.  I decided on a road bike as it can be fitted with aero bars and the saddle/seat post can be changed to fit more like a tri bike.  

Go to your LBS and test ride bikes.  This will give you and idea of what size you are and what you like.  Look in the classified section of Craigslist, slowtwitch.com and BT.

Good luck
2009-05-26 4:39 PM

New user

PM Sent

Sell Gear
CLOSED
General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » Fat guy newbie looking for decent bike....very beginner level road/tri bike. Rss Feed