General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Leg Settings Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-26 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Trainer Leg Settings

I've got this Kurt Kinetic (except it's black, from 2008) - 

I have a road bike with standard wheels.  Any idea what little notch should I have the legs on? My trainer never seems very sturdy and I think it must be the leg settings. The manual says that it depends on the tire, but I have no idea what they are talking about.  I don't want to fall off my trainer and I've got an LT test coming up.

Edited by atlrunnergirl 2009-05-26 2:25 PM

(Kinetic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Kinetic.jpg (31KB - 13 downloads)

2009-05-26 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2173680

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Subject: RE: Trainer Leg Settings

Sarah, according to the picture you posted.  The position settings are set by measuring the O.D. (outside diameter of the tire on the bike you put on it).  Just take a tape measure and measure around the outside of your tire.  You do the same thing when you set up your bike odometer although I assume your bike shop did that for you. 

The other thing that your instructions said was that the tire should be about 1 1/2" from the floor.  That is the most important thing.  The closer to the floor that the tire is, the more stable it will feel. 

Hooooowwwever, it may be a while before it really feels stable to you even though it is set up properly.  If you mash down on your pedals from side to side instead of the "wipe the mud off your shoe" circular spinning stroke, it will feel more wobbly.  Try concentrating on your pedaling technique.  That may be why you do not feel stable.  Do you ever ride your bike with no hands on the handlebars?  This helps bike handling skills and forces you to use a more proper pedal stroke because you are not using your hands to counteract improper pedal stroke.  BT actually has a video listed on the home page today on proper pedaling stroke.  I will be interested in hearing what your final analysis is.

Edited by nealphelps 2009-05-26 3:17 PM
2009-05-26 3:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
i have that exact green kk trainer and i'm pretty sure the legs are set just as in that picture.  i ride a standard 700c wheeled tri bike.  make sure you have the rear skewer clamps screwed in tight enough so your bike doesn't wobble.  also, there is a big difference b/w using it on the carpet or on a hard surface, which is much more stable.
2009-05-26 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2173913

User image

Elite
SE
x2 as big smoothe. i keep it like green above for my 700 tires. tighten it up and rock it!
2009-05-26 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2174212

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Ok, awesome.  Tire is exactly 1.5" from the floor (I'm on sealed concrete with a Flor carpet tile on top).  I had the settings right.  I think I hadn't done a very good job of centering the tire on the roller.  One concern I have is the derailleur being so close to one of the little arms, because the cup has to fit over the other side of the skewer.  I took a picture:

Edited by atlrunnergirl 2009-05-26 7:43 PM

(Cupcake.jpg)

(Derailleur.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Cupcake.jpg (94KB - 11 downloads)
Derailleur.jpg (92KB - 10 downloads)
2009-05-26 7:48 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Oh, and Neal, I can't currently let go and stay balanced when I'm outside.  I do know that I have some dead spots, and definitely need to do some one-legged drills!  I think I've worked up to a smoother pedal stroke, but I'm going to get some feedback from my coach during my test since she'll be there. 

2009-05-26 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2174411

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

atlrunnergirl - 2009-05-26 8:48 PM

Oh, and Neal, I can't currently let go and stay balanced when I'm outside.  I do know that I have some dead spots, and definitely need to do some one-legged drills!  I think I've worked up to a smoother pedal stroke, but I'm going to get some feedback from my coach during my test since she'll be there. 

Sarah, If your rear tire is 1 1/2" from the floor as you mention in the previous post then  you have the bike trainer set up properly as long as it is tight as Brian (BigSmoothe) mentioned.  I suspect that you have it tight enough.  It looks fine from your picture.  The carpet is a thought as Brian also mentioned. Hoooowwwever, as I mentioned in my first post  and I will be a bit more direct this time.  I think the issue of feeling unstable is your pedal stroke.  Watch the video on BT's featured articles.  I watched it today and it is pretty good.  I do not have  the same trainer as you, but when people get on it for the first time they mention that they are afraid of falling over because they feel unstable.  I may be wrong, but I would bet the farm that you are pushing down with each stroke as opposed to the circular motion which is kind of like cleaning mud off of the bottom of your shoe.    While you do that with your bottom foot, you should be pushing forward with your top foot.  A lot of riders just push down with each stroke and they steady the bike with their hands which is why I suggest riding for a bit without hands.  If you want to try that, coast without hands first...  THEN pedal using the circular stroke.  If you push down the bike will wobble too much to ride without hands.  If you get comfortable with that, then I bet you will feel comfortable on the trainer without making any adjustments to it.  Good Luck. 

Edited by nealphelps 2009-05-26 10:27 PM
2009-05-27 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2174662

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

You might want to have a couple beach towels under the bike to catch your sweat. 

2009-05-28 6:36 AM
in reply to: #2176033

User image

Elite
SE
tagging along with NP , i am dead certain i cracked my seat post on the trainer by not going circular and just mashing away. so if you hear a cracking sound, look into it before mashing away again.

also, a bento box cheaply purchased is good for a remote control or cell phone holder. i kee[ the trainer in front of the tv downstairs.
2009-05-28 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2174411

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
not that you want to go out and buy more stuff, but rollers will help smooth out your pedaling in a hurry.  i have a set that i break out a few times a year.  you can really tell when your pedal stroke isn't even b/c you'll constantly surge forward with each "mash".  when you get a nice circular pedal stroke, you don't move around as much b/c your speed is more constant.  rollers also help your bike handling.  i like to practice looking to the side and behind me, and drinking from a bottle while on rollers.  you'd be amazed at how much easier it makes doing the same on the road.

as for the towels under your bike while on the trainer, i second that.  i'd also recommend getting one of those bike thongs to catch the sweat before it hits your bike.  make sure it covers up the stem area so you don't get it all those bolts gunked up with sweat.  Laughing
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Leg Settings Rss Feed