General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of TexasTriathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 57s
Overall Rank = 654/1327
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 32/51
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am ate some oatmeal and peanut butter on toast. Had a bottle or two of water then headed towards auditorium shores.
Event warmup:

Stretched out a bit and visited the porto john's a couple times.
Swim
  • 30m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt pretty good on the swim and got pretty much what I expected on the pace. Able to draft a guy almost the whole way down the back side of the loop and didn't have any real panic moments.
What would you do differently?:

Just more time in the pool. Overall pretty much what I was expecting and pretty happy with my performance.
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

The transition area was pretty huge so going between the swim exit and the mount line was quite some distance that I wasn't exactly covering quickly. Definitely trying to get the breathing/heart rate under control after the swim before getting on the bike. In addition to the huge distance traveled it certainly made for some dirty feet which I wasted some time trying to clean before throwin on the bike shoes.

Other than run rather than walk through transition I think it went pretty good. No real hassle getting off the wetsuit so I'm pretty happy.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 24s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off a bit slow for this one trying to work up to some speed. Downed a gel after the first loop and kept taking in water. I think I may have taken in a bit too much fluid on the bike but overall not too unhappy with how the ride turned out. I was aiming for a split under 1:15 so after I saw my time I was happy.

Just need to get more miled under me.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

A bit longer than I would have liked, but I did lose some time putting on socks and not leaving my bike shoes clipped into my bike this time.

Stop being lazy and run through transition.
Run
  • 1h 06m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Whew...this part sucked. I realized on the fourth loop of the bike course that my run was going to be terrible. I've put down 11 miles since my last race, a sprint at the end of April, which is a good guestimator of what my run was going to be like. After getting on my feet I just wanted to still make my 3 hour goal which meant I needed to do just under 11minute miles. Fortunately I was able to accomplish that. However I'm still pretty disappointed in my run even though I shouldn't expect much better with the limited amount of training.

Run more, lots more.
Post race
Warm down:

Had the most tasty cold bottle of water ever and then got a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Undertrained. Missed too much time being sick for the first two weeks of May. Need to work out fluid intake/nutrition for the Oly distance. Don't know if I was feeling weird because I didn't have enough or had too much.

Event comments:

Kind of a mess after the race trying to get back to the transition area and get the bikes out.

Overall I was pleased with my first Olympic race. I wanted to do it in under 3 hours which I accomplished and I know that I can get that time down by a good 15 minutes if I can just run the whole run portion rather than walking so much of it.

Last updated: 2009-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:26 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 626/1327
Performance: Good
Suit: Rocket Science Sport full sleve
Course: one loop in Town Lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:24 | 24.85 miles | 20.88 mile/hr
Overall: 338/1327
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Four loop course, got a bit crowded once the 3000+ racers got out there.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:06:32 | 06.21 miles | 10m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 899/1327
Performance: Bad
Course: Two loop course pretty much flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-05-26 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Austin
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-05-26 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2174271

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice first olympic! Congrats on beating your goal, more miles will get that time down and you'll just keep whiddling away at the time! Say hi next time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed