General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM NA is being sued for death at IMFL Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-05-28 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2179396

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-05-28 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2179396

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: IM NA is being sued for death at IMFL

lisac957 - 2009-05-28 1:27 PM Just to derail this a little more...

What about races being cancelled for inclement weather DURING THE RACE?
This happened at Ironman Kansas 70.3 last year. The RD made an 'informed decision' (based on radar readings and park ranger recommendation) to stop the race at about 5 1/2 hours in. Estimates are that 40-50% did not get to finish (including me )

The kicker to this story is that while it was raining and there was lighning a few miles away, within 30 minutes of everyone being 'stopped' the sun came out and it was a gorgeous rest of the afternoon.

Discuss.

The National Weather Service has been sued in the past and prevailed.

2009-05-28 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2179404

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Soon we'll all be forced to wear those inflatable self-rescue thingies.

2009-05-28 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2179374

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
DrPete - 2009-05-28 4:22 PM

Pete, I agree.
I think part of the problem is that at an event like IMFL, the 'team' probably has not been working together very long. In residency I did trauma, and the team was very cohessive and each person had a role to play. Out on an IM course, it is probably not this way.

Most of the physicians were bothered by 2 points...
1. Suing a good samaritan (note I never criticized the suit itself), just the implication that the good samaritan doctor should 'definitely been named' as well. This nauseates me.
2. The diminuitive rhetoric about 'direting traffic'

Both were from 1 poster and resulted in a de-railment of the thread. Apologies on my part, and now back to... Will this affect our sport in the future, what say you?

Back to a few pages ago, I also think it's absurd that there are no minimum experience requirements for a 2000-person mass-start swim. Again, I go back to USAC. An inexperienced racer is dangerous to the racers around him/her, and you have to build some experience in the slower/shorter races before you can compete with the fast kids. It makes absolutely no sense to me that any random person off the street can sign up for an IM. It's just begging for trouble. I think a minimum number of seasons racing and a minimum number of open water swims and ocean swims would be a 100% reasonable thing.

OK, here's where we need to get a little picky...gotta define experience. Reason being, and I'll give the disclaimer that I can't support this with data right out of the chute - but I'd bet that the majority of fatalities in the swim have zero to do with experience, and much more to do with dormant medical conditions that, under stress, come to the surface. Sure, you'll get the occasional 'kicked in the face' fatality, but most times, when an inexperienced swimmer can't finish a swim, they find a kayak. Plus, experience makes no difference. I've done a grand total of 3 tris in the last 2 years, and I'm a good open water swimmer. I could name 30 people that have done a bunch of tris, but couldn't survive the St. A's chop in 2006. I've struggled with how to establish this standard, and in the end, can't come up with anything. Maybe the courts should rule to tell us what's reasonable, not negligent, etc.

I'd argue a more reasonable hurdle to jump over, before signing up for a tri, is a stress test / ekg / check for heart irregularities. I had to run past 3 coded people at Marine Corps Marathon 2 years ago, and I was running 9's, and they were ahead of me, so it wasn't that they didn't know how to run. Their bodies just couldn't deal with the stress on that day.  This will never happen, though.

Lastly: ChrisM (I think) brought up the point a few pages ago that prosecutors need to show INCREASED liability (e.g., ratios of lifeguards to swimmers) danger in this event compared to others. That's a relative measure. Let's just say that in the past, for sake of argument, that the lifeguard to participant ratio was 50/1. Let's also say that it's increased to 75/1 in the bigger events now. How could that possibly form the basis for a case?  What's the right ratio?  A 1:1 ratio wouldn't guarantee someone wouldn't drown, and a 1000:1 ratio wouldn't predicate someone would perish. So many variables. I just don't get it....hoping to learn something here.
2009-05-28 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2175921

2009-05-28 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2179031

Elite
PennState - 2009-05-28 2:48 PM

1. Suing a good samaritan (note I never criticized the suit itself), just the implication that the good samaritan doctor should 'definitely been named' as well. This nauseates me.

Is there even such thing as a good samaritan doctor?  It seems to me like you can be a good samaritan or a doctor.  Not both.  Just because your not at the office doesn't mean you're not a doctor.  Even when I was certified as just a lifeguard, if I was anywhere and saw some kind of accident I could technically be sued if I didn't help.  And technically, if the victim doesn't give consent for me to help (unless they're unconcious) I could be sued for that too.  I agree that it doesn't always seem right, but thats the way it works.

2009-05-28 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2179503

Expert
Bethesda, MD/Northern NJ
steveseer - 2009-05-28 4:57 PM
PennState - 2009-05-28 2:48 PM

Is there even such thing as a good samaritan doctor?  It seems to me like you can be a good samaritan or a doctor.  Not both.  Just because your not at the office doesn't mean you're not a doctor.  Even when I was certified as just a lifeguard, if I was anywhere and saw some kind of accident I could technically be sued if I didn't help.  And technically, if the victim doesn't give consent for me to help (unless they're unconcious) I could be sued for that too.  I agree that it doesn't always seem right, but thats the way it works.

Actually, we covered this in Bar Review today... here are my notes:

No duty to rescue.

-       Two exceptions:

o   If there is a pre-existing relationship between the person in peril and the potential rescuer.

§  What kind of relationship?

·      Employer/employee

·      Invitee/land owner

·      Family relationships

·      Sometimes courts even stretch to friends, etc

o   If the defendant put the person in a position of peril, then there is a duty to rescue.

However:

-       If you choose to rescue, without having a legal duty to do so, but you SCREW up the rescue – you’ll be liable for that.

o    A voluntary or gratuitous rescuer who botches the rescue is liable for that.

-       Good Samaritan laws: statutes that alter CL doctrine.  NY has one, but it is very narrow, because it only applies to individuals in particular career categories:

o   NY Law only protects nurses and doctors, but they can still be liable if gross negligent.

So, I don't think doctors have a duty to rescue, unless one of those exceptions applies - pre-existing relationship or they caused the peril.  I don't know what kind of 'internal' code doctors might have - is there anything in the medical ethics rules saying they have to stop and help?  

Good Samaritan Laws are meant to protect those who stop - even though they don't have a legal duty.  I don't know that you would have had a legal duty to stop and help as a lifeguard? If you did stop and messed something up, you could be liable depending on the Good Samaritan laws of the state. I'm studying for NY bar right now - it seems like NYs are narrow and only cover nurses and doctors who stop... 
2009-05-28 5:01 PM
in reply to: #2179410

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
PennState - 2009-05-28 1:30 PM

lisac957 - 2009-05-28 4:27 PM Just to derail this a little more...

This happened at Ironman Kansas 70.3 last year. The RD made an 'informed decision' (based on radar readings and park ranger recommendation) to stop the race at about 5 1/2 hours in. Estimates are that 40-50% did not get to finish (including me )

The kicker to this story is that while it was raining and there was lighning a few miles away, within 30 minutes of everyone being 'stopped' the sun came out and it was a gorgeous rest of the afternoon.

Discuss.

Lisa, that would make a great thread in itself, you should start one on it.

Done.

John
2009-05-28 5:37 PM

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

I'm late to the party on this one and don't have the time to read the 158 posts.

As a defense lawyer it is hard to understand how this got past a Summary Judgement for the Defendants. Some gutless judges just don't like to grant them because appeals generally follow and they don't like the risk of being wrong. IM would have had to almost stood there and said "you guys go out and swim around the buoys and let us know when you get back". I mean this guy heads out for a 2.4 mile swim and doesn't understand the risk? Always swam in a pool and never read anything on OWS? However, it is a probably a comparative negligence state so the defendant could be found partially negligent, and have to pony up some bucks. Hardly likely

2009-05-28 6:01 PM
in reply to: #2179703

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
E=H2O - 2009-05-28 5:37 PM

I'm late to the party on this one and don't have the time to read the 158 posts.

As a defense lawyer it is hard to understand how this got past a Summary Judgement for the Defendants. Some gutless judges just don't like to grant them because appeals generally follow and they don't like the risk of being wrong. IM would have had to almost stood there and said "you guys go out and swim around the buoys and let us know when you get back". I mean this guy heads out for a 2.4 mile swim and doesn't understand the risk? Always swam in a pool and never read anything on OWS? However, it is a probably a comparative negligence state so the defendant could be found partially negligent, and have to pony up some bucks. Hardly likely

Couple of points (to no one in particular, just quoting the last post):

1. The summary judgment motions have not yet been adjudicated. The plaintiff filed one on May 10 (or thereabouts) challenging the Defendants' assumption of the risk defense. The Defendants filed their motion for summary judgment four days ago. This is the problem with news reporters reporting on things they know nothing about. Everybody thinks the case is definitely going to trial. That's still up in the air. The trial date was set months ago in the scheduling and mediation order. Just because the have a trial date doesn't mean it will actually go to trial. My thought is that some or all of this case will be dismissed well before the July 6, 2009 trial date.

(I went to the Northern District of Florida CM/ECF link and logged into PACER to download the docket report from inception to today's date. If anybody wants to see it (though I can't think why you'd want to) I have a PDF of it I can PM or email you.)

2. The case has pled an unspecified amount of money in excess of $75,000.00. It was originally filed in a state court in Panama City, but was removed to federal court by the Defendants because all of the defendants have different states of residence from the plaintiff. It's what we call "diversity jurisdiction" of the federal court. Very basically speaking, diversity jurisdiction is only implicated when the states of residence of the plaintiff and defendants differs, and if the plaintiff seeks an award in excess of $75,000.00. Because the lawsuit was removed and not remanded to state court, I would conclude that the judge found that the amount sought in the lawsuit meets the "over $75,000.00" requirement.

3. Talk about the dangers of a mass start swim is irrelevant. The guy got into trouble on the second lap of the swim. The start was long over. Even if mass starts are inherently dangerous, it would seem that the plaintiff will have a hard time proving that this inherent danger is causally related to Mr. Rice's death. A more plausible theory is that there were insufficient resources to adequately identify distressed swimmers in time to prevent the death. I don't know if that's true, but it makes more sense than an argument that mass start swims are inherently dangerous.

4. In all likelihood, the case will either be thrown out on summary judgment or will settle prior to trial for a manageable amount with WTC, NAS, and USTA not admitting any liability, and spinning it as a business decision to put the matter to rest and give Rice's family something to assist them in their time of need.

5. FWIW, the federal 11th Circuit in which Florida's federal courts are located, is a very conservative court (not so much as the 4th and 5th, but much more so than the 9th and 10th). Even if Rice wins the case at a trial, my bet is that his award, whatever it might be, would get cut down tremendously or completely overturned if WTC, NAS, and/or USTA appealed it. The deck is stacked in favor of the defendants here, so let's not go handing over control of the Ironman brand to the Rices just yet.

Edited by Sharkboy 2009-05-28 6:13 PM
2009-05-28 6:15 PM
in reply to: #2179730

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Sharkboy - 2009-05-28 4:01 PM

) 2. The case has pled an unspecified amount of money in excess of $75,000.00. It was originally filed in a state court in Panama City, but was removed to federal court by the Defendants because all of the defendants have different states of residence from the plaintiff. It's what we call "diversity jurisdiction" of the federal court. Very basically speaking, diversity jurisdiction is only implicated when the states of residence of the plaintiff and defendants differs, and if the plaintiff seeks an award in excess of $75,000.00.

Thanks for the additional info. Moving a case to Federal Court is what we use to call, throwing a plaintiff's lawyer into a forum where he had less experience (if that is the case)

2009-05-28 7:23 PM

2009-05-28 7:24 PM
in reply to: #2176714

Expert
Austin, TX
bachorb - 2009-05-27 4:23 PM I would much rather have to read peoples' posts about the wussification of society and having to pay higher race fees than have to read about another fellow athlete dying.

Interesting tangent here - does anyone know what the data is on triathlon deaths across the pond in less-litigious Europe? Can anyone who's done a race there comment on swim safety precautions as compared to here?

I did a race in Switzerland that was mass start and I did not notice any differences other than getting kicked by what seemed to be an extreme number of breast strokers and a guy using swim paddles.

I feel sorry for the family losing their husband/father/son, but like others have said, it is inherently dangerous.

2009-05-28 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2179413

New Haven, CT
SevenZulu - 2009-05-28 4:31 PM

Discuss.

The NWS is a government agency - soverign immunity... you can't typically sue the government for money.
2009-05-28 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2179742

New Haven, CT
E=H2O - 2009-05-28 7:15 PM

) 2. The case has pled an unspecified amount of money in excess of $75,000.00. It was originally filed in a state court in Panama City, but was removed to federal court by the Defendants because all of the defendants have different states of residence from the plaintiff. It's what we call "diversity jurisdiction" of the federal court. Very basically speaking, diversity jurisdiction is only implicated when the states of residence of the plaintiff and defendants differs, and if the plaintiff seeks an award in excess of $75,000.00.

Thanks for the additional info. Moving a case to Federal Court is what we use to call, throwing a plaintiff's lawyer into a forum where he had less experience (if that is the case)

Ahh... a true believer defense lawyer.  Why are plaintif's lawyers uncomfortable in USDC?  I do commerical litigation/bankruptcy (used to do some PI both plaintiff and defense) and really could care less whether I'm in USDC or state court. 
2009-05-28 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2179851

Pro
Burbs
jsklarz - 2009-05-28 8:39 PM
SevenZulu - 2009-05-28 4:31 PM

Discuss.

The NWS is a government agency - soverign immunity... you can't typically sue the government for money.

11th amendment !

2009-05-28 7:50 PM

New user

Swim Safe swim belt. I've use one for 2 years, it's a great piece of mind. In the Bike or Run if you need to stop and regroup you can. It's kind of hard on the swim. I know that a guy died last in in the gulf coast half. The swim safe can give you a second chance if and when you really need it. It would have probadly saved both peoples lives.

2009-05-28 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2179856

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

jsklarz - 2009-05-28 5:43 PM

Ahh... a true believer defense lawyer.  Why are plaintif's lawyers uncomfortable in USDC?  I do commerical litigation/bankruptcy (used to do some PI both plaintiff and defense) and really could care less whether I'm in USDC or state court. 

As I said, you do it if the plaintiff lawyer doesn't have the experience. Many Plaintiff PI attorneys like to steer clear. It also can affect the makeup of the jury pool. When I did plaintiff work, sometimes it was just a pain in the neck to drive to the closest Fed Cout house rather than walk across the street to the local state court.

2009-05-28 8:05 PM

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Sharkboy - 2009-05-28 6:01 PM
3. Talk about the dangers of a mass start swim is irrelevant. The guy got into trouble on the second lap of the swim. The start was long over. Even if mass starts are inherently dangerous, it would seem that the plaintiff will have a hard time proving that this inherent danger is causally related to Mr. Rice's death. A more plausible theory is that there were insufficient resources to adequately identify distressed swimmers in time to prevent the death. I don't know if that's true, but it makes more sense than an argument that mass start swims are inherently dangerous. 

I would argue that this ties into vetting the swimmer before he starts sub-thread that is going on. If you have a bunch of weak swimmers, you force the lifeguards to focus on weak, therefore creating insufficient resources to identify distressed swimmers.

Also, the argment that those who die in the water are all heart/genetically related and not poor swimmers, I point back to the article I put up pages ago (page 5 maybe?) there were 12 or 13 deaths in the study, with 3 heart related. None on the bike or run.  I have a hard time believing that all those were good swimmers and that stress of a race to cause a heart attack death is only in the swim.
2009-05-28 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2179431

Veteran
SevenZulu - 2009-05-28 4:35 PM

Soon we'll all be forced to wear those inflatable self-rescue thingies.

Aren't those called WET SUITS?
2009-05-28 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2179856

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
jsklarz - 2009-05-28 7:43 PM

I can't speak for Florida, but in Texas, it is DEFINITELY to the defendant's advantage to be in federal court. The big reason is the burden on summary judgment. In federal court, the burden is on the plaintiff to present sufficient evidence to support each element of his/her claim. In Texas state courts, the burden is on the defendant to disprove at least one element.

Also, the judges in federal court tend to be brighter and more well read. Finally, the federal judges are appointed for life. There's no fallout with the plaintiff's bar if they dismiss cases. In Texas state courts, judges are elected and they have to keep in mind the powerful lobby of the plaintiff's bar. You don't get their support in the election if you're constantly dismissing their cases.

I guess it's obvious which side of the bar I practice on.

2009-05-28 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2179896

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
tjfry - 2009-05-28 8:05 PM

[

I would argue that this ties into vetting the swimmer before he starts sub-thread that is going on. If you have a bunch of weak swimmers, you force the lifeguards to focus on weak, therefore creating insufficient resources to identify distressed swimmers.

Also, the argment that those who die in the water are all heart/genetically related and not poor swimmers, I point back to the article I put up pages ago (page 5 maybe?) there were 12 or 13 deaths in the study, with 3 heart related. None on the bike or run.  I have a hard time believing that all those were good swimmers and that stress of a race to cause a heart attack death is only in the swim.

What I meant was not that they failed to identify weak or poor swimmers, but that once the swim started, perhaps (or so the theory might go) there were not enough lifeguards and other rescue personnel to adequately cover the area and respond in a timely fashion to people who wound up in distress.

Having done an IM event, I find would find that theory hard to swallow. When I did Wisconsin in 2007, there were a ton of kayaks and boarders helping out the swimmers. I can't imagine that they would have been understaffed at IMFL.
2009-05-28 9:50 PM

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

Personally I can't wait for the lawsuit that gets filed when someone gets hurt crashing their bike coming down a hill or around a tight corner. Actually there was a tragic death at the Santa Barbara Triathlon involving a very well known athlete. She apparently fell after she hit a bottle at a bottle exchange. I don't know if a lawsuit was ever filed.

How about the runner who slips on debris at an aid station?

2009-05-28 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2175963

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

IM NZ 06 -- Canx'd the swim -- wind and waves.  led to bike being cut in half and run in half.  led to IM NZ 06 being a joke. 

CP2K

2009-05-28 11:23 PM
in reply to: #2178235

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
tkd.teacher - 2009-05-28 11:40 AM

See my other post. I'm not suggesting in any way that a doc assisting SHOULD be named in a lawsuit. I've responded several times out of my car when coming across an accident, and been named in a lawsuit twice. Both times tossed due to the Good Sam law because I operated within the scope of my training.

It's fairly standard, though, from what I've seen to name everyone the complainant can think of, and then they leave it up to the judge/jury to determine actual exposure in the suit. (Heck, in one of my two complaints they named the guy that stopped and called 911 on his cell phone as an initial defendant.)

That's why I was surprised initially that they didn't name the doc specifically (if in fact the post was true and she did respond out of the crowd), because I hadn't seen the last section that was a general "other" category.

And no, I wouldn't automatically dismiss a doctor that ID's themselves. I'd be MORE than happy to have you guys jump in (I took a version of the Army CCCC when I was in the AF, so I could be a medic for the pre Ranger training course our base ran, and support the EOD guys when they decluttered the bombing range), and offer your help. I WOULD however clear it with my medical control, and that's more to cover my azz and certifications. Plus, if my incompetence or misaction results in injury/death of a patient, it also exposes the organization I am with and the doctor overseeing it to liability.

John

First, thank you John - you put much more clearly what I meant. I thought by putting "joke" it would come across as, well, a joke. It is only a half-joke, though, as I know a medic who has had to pretty much forcibly remove a veterinarian because they were screaming, "I'm a doctor!" and trying to take over. It does happen. I pointed out, though not well at all, that if a doc had the credentials, I'd absolutely be backing away, ready to help them in whatever they needed as they took over the scene. I mentioned EMT-I and medic, and also meant that to include PALS, ACLS, etc. without listing a bunch of what I thought would be meaningless letters to most. You come up to me and say you are ACLS, scene's all yours! You come up and say you're a doctor, I'm gonna be asking some questions first. If I turn my scene over to a podiatrist who hasn't even sent his kid to the ER, much less been in any sort of emergency situation, experience, or training, my azz is grazz.

Second, on naming the doctor in the suit (and repeating what John wrote above): I very carefully put naming the doctor. Assuming the doctor did everything right and within her training, the suit should most certainly not be successful. Anyone can be sued for anything. Good Sam doesn't stop you from being sued, it stops the suit from being successful. Sounds like, again assuming she did everything right or at least not grossly negligent, she's all sorts of covered under Good Sam.

Third, I'm a she.

Finally, I still think the rescuer-to-swimmer ratio and victim access are valid concerns, and that if this lawsuit addresses that, as it seems it will, that is a good thing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM NA is being sued for death at IMFL Rss Feed  

of 9