General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming: feel way faster breathing to one side Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-28 2:46 PM

Subject: Swimming: feel way faster breathing to one side

When i breathe to my dominant side I feel way faster in the pool (i suspect i AM way faster). 

Normally what I do when i swim is i swim a lap breathing right (non-dominant) then a lap left, but now that I have started using a 2 beat kick I am having problems breathing on my right side; i am improving a lot on my left but i feel very uncoordinated on my right.

Although I wouldn't care and would just breathe left, i assume something else is wrong with my stroke, i know for sure my right leg is not kicking as hard as my left (feels really awkward) when i do the 2 beat kick (sometimes it doesn't kick at all) but i think it's more than that since i can swim without kicking at all pretty well on my left side.

Anyone else have similar issues? What would be the first thing you looked at in my stroke to identify what was wrong? If so, how did you fix it? I am still pretty slow at the moment and i think this might be one of the big reasons. 

THANKS! 

2009-05-28 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2179238

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: RE: Swimming: feel way faster breathing to one side
a lot of people do, me included. When you learned to swim, you breathed to one side. Muscle memory picked up the pattern and BAM, now you are a natural at breathing to that side. When you try to go the other way, it's a new motion...it's not automatic AND it screws with what your muscles are trying to do from memory. So it's harder and it throws off your stroke.

If your stroke is really balanced (to your dominant side), then it shouldn't take much additional work to be able to smoothly breathe on your off side. If you've developed an asymmetry, then it will take more work, because you have to clear up the imbalance before you can work on the breathing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming: feel way faster breathing to one side Rss Feed