United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 47s
Overall Rank = 177/183
Age Group = Masters Clyde
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

I spent the night down in Macon and had dinner with my NAMC pals. That's when the s*** hit the fan. I got the worst call of my life that one of my pugs dies suddenly and my wife was in hysterics. She was so worried she took our other dog to the emergency room just to make sure something wasn't wrong with him as well. When I got back to my room it was about 9pm and I went to hit the sack. After a couple of calls to my wife, I just couldn't get to sleep. I really contemplated packing up and coming home but I didn't think I could drive as tired as I was. I finally got to sleep around 12:30AM and woke up at 3:30. From that point on, I was just laying there fighting off tears.
Event warmup:

Nothing special. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my wetsuit and this was wetsuit legal.
Swim
  • 28m 51s
  • 920 meters
  • 03m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

A valuable lesson was learned about staying positive no matter what(thank you mr. corn). I should have trusted my swim since it had no stops, no recovery swim, decent navigation, and most of all, not that winded coming out of it. If I had, I would have gone out harder on the bike and definitely done a harder run.
What would you do differently?:

Keep going and leave my self pity at the house.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

As I stated, by this time, I had decided to treat this race as just a good workout. I took my time, wiped off my feet, and drank some fluids. I went ahead and put my shoes on and didn't try and do anything special on the mount.

Go quicker and treat it as a real race.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 38s
  • 15 miles
  • 13.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't know what I am going to have to do to get my avg speed up to and over 15 MPH. Last year by this time, I was going faster and I wasn't in as good of shape. I keep doing long rides and challenging myself with hills but still the same speed on the race day.

Go harder up hills and not just do a cruise of the lower Bibb Co.
Transition 2
  • 03m 39s
Comments:

I think I actually used this well. I knew that my swim and bike were shot so I thought there was still one chance for a PR. I took my time in the T2 to set up a better run. Oh well, so much for that plan.

I'm not sure I will ever be in this situation again.
Run
  • 42m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm still the slowest runner in the world but I should have been able to break 40 minutes or even 38 minutes easy on this course. It just wasn't in my mind to do well today.

Have a better attitude and do more outdoor training (even if it is raining). I also hope that the run clinic this Thursday, June 4th at 7pm at Riverside Park in Roswell (shameless plug for the NAMC club meeting).
Post race
Warm down:

None. I didn't work hard enough to need much. I did get me camera and cowbell out for the HIM club members.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well my fitness did kind of take a hit this past week but I know most of my problems were emotional. The feelings of quilt and the disappointment of not doing well right out of the gate.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:51 | 920 meters | 03m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 164/183
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: The course was messed up and miss marked so the 750 meters was way off. I heard at the awards ceremony that the swim was more like 910 to 925 meters. Unfortunately, I didn't know that when I got out of the water and looked at my watch hoping to see 18 to 20 minutes. I looked down and saw 26 and nearly started crying. It really made me question what kind of selfish person I was for being there and not with my wife and remaining sick dog. I pretty much just walked to the transition area to let me heart rate go back down.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:04:38 | 15 miles | 13.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 170/183
My garmin read a slightly different distance again.
Wind: None
Course: The course had some steep hills right out of the park but then settled in to some steady climbs. My overall impression was that my climbing was better but as usual, my finish was a little under speed. The last couple of hills were not that hard but I climbed the slowly without going to my granny gear. In an effort to gain some good karma, I pulled over at one point and fixed a lady riders chain. It wasn't hard and didn't take up that much time but she was completely baffled as what to do. No evidence that the karma worked.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:20 | 03.11 miles | 13m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 182/183
I think the run was actually a little shorter than the 3.1 miles. It showed up as about 3 miles even on the garmin.
Course: It was almost all uphill on the way out and all downhill on the way back. In spite of this, I think my end was only a little faster than my start.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-30 4:44 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon

2009-05-30 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2183388

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon

I'm sorry to hear about your dog.  It must have been tough to focus on the race with that on your mind.  You showed some grit by not taking the DNS.

2009-05-30 5:02 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great job going out there and racing, especially after losing your pet last night. Goal #4 (staying positive) is the hardest one to maintain, and it gets challenged often, but you overcame, finished, and cowbelled the rest of the troops in! You have lots of time this season to hit those time goals
2009-05-30 8:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So sorry about your pup..... congrats on being able to continue!
2009-05-31 7:18 PM

User image

Regular
After reading a couple of other's recaps, I realized that I forgot to say how great the volunteers from the Atlanta Tri Club were out on the run course. Being a man of "my carriage" you get a lot of people rooting you on. These guys were incredible! If you see one of these guys around, make sure to tell them thanks for everyone that was racing.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed