General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Macon, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports Productions, Inc.
HotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 54m 46s
Overall Rank = 117/214
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 18/28
Pre-race routine:

Left the house at 4:30 and hydrated and ate a ClifBar on the way down. Patty drove, so I was able to get a few more Z's in.
Event warmup:

Set up transition then went back to the car to grab the club tent and got that set up. Had enough time to don the wetsuit and head down to the beach.
Swim
  • 36m 6s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall, I was happy with this swim, an easy pace for a wetsuit swim. I kept strokes long and relaxed throughout and felt great coming out. I started out to the left of the pack to get some open water which helped me stay out of the beatings. The first leg was into the sun, so I was mostly sighting off of the other swimmers to get to the green turn bouy. Made the turn towards the second bouy and the sun was on the left side. I ended up passing some of the open class swimmers from the first wave. Made the second turn and started to head for home. There was another guy close, so I decided to try my hand at drafting. I shortly realized that he couldn't site well and was all over the place, so I gave up on that idea. I swear he swam across me 3 or 4 times while he was overcorrecting his position.
What would you do differently?:

Swim was the best part of the day, so nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Long run from the water up to transition up a pretty good hill. Jenn Henry finished the swim just ahead of me, so I chased her up the hill. Once I got into the T area, I headed towards my bike rack, which I knew was right next to a picnic pavilion. What I failed to realize in the am was that there were two pavilions. Stupid me went to the first one and wondered who had taken my bike. Luckily there were some guys there waiting for the relay and they pointed me in the right direction.

Look over the transition fully so I don't have to run around looking like an idiot.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Definitely different driving than riding it. There were some long gradual climbs and rolling hills. Had it been a bike alone, I would have had fun hammering it, but I tried to hold back as much as possible. I caught up with J22 at mile 5, then he passed me back and I caught him again around mile 27. After the 2nd water stop he led again and I didn't see him again. My biggest problem on the bike was my, ah, er, undercarriage. By mile 10, I wanted to get off the bike. I've ridden long rides in the those tri shorts before to ensure everything was okay and had no problems, maybe it's cause the shorts were wet from the swim, I dunno. Needless to say, I was moving all over the saddle for 45 miles. I didn't feel like I was pushing the pace hard, and I was sure getting passed enough to show that, but I should have evidently backed off even more given my abysmal run performance.

Figure out the shorts (saddle?) thing and figure out a better pace. Need to do more long brick workouts to really feel it out.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

This started out awesome. Did a flying dismount. I was moving fast into the dismount line and hopped off and started running. Others around me were slowing down a lot to get off. One girl gasped cause she thought I wasn't going to make it, I took that as a good sign. I racked the bike, helmet off, threw on the hat, took off the timing chip, and put on the compression socks, regular socks and shoes. I picked up the water belt and race belt and headed out. Umm, ya, forgot something. Luckily I realized it before leaving the T area, so I turned around and strapped on the timing chip again. Stupid...

Keep my head together.
Run
  • 2h 22m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Umm, can you tell where the wheels fell off the wagon? This run was brutal. I knew that my run fitness was no where, where I wanted it to be coming into this because of my achilles issue, but still, horrible. Good news is that the achilles didn't bother me (glad I wore the compression socks and great for the rest of the season), but maybe that's cause I walked probably around 4 miles of the "run". I started out too fast and started to feel progressively worse and worse. The mind games started, but there was no way that I wasn't going to finish. Started a 4 min run, 1 min walk, which then turned to 3 min run, 1 min walk. Then it became run to the next cone, mail box, stop sign, etc... This was a humbling run and it surely gave me respect for this distance.

Need to stay healthy, do more long bricks, and seek revenge on the run at my next HIM.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, hydrated and ate a ton of food. Hung out in the NAMC tent.

Event comments:

This was a very well run race. I got my butt kicked at my first attempt at this distance, but that is all the more motivation for the next time.

Last updated: 2009-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:06 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/28
Overall: 54/214
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro2 - Sleeveless
Course: Triangle shaped course. First leg into the sun, second with the sun on the left, and then a right turn to home.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:51:35 | 56 miles | 19.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/28
Overall: 84/214
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Mixed on some rural roads and a state route highway. Traffic wasn't too bad and respective of all the bikers.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:22:39 | 13.1 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/28
Overall: 144/214
Performance: Bad
8:32, 9:17, 9:34, 9:48, 11:01, 13:03, 10:26, 11:58, 11:48, 12:25, 12:21, 12:23, 10:13
Course: Three out and back sections on rolling hills with minimal shade. I think there were 6 or 7 aid stations (some you hit twice), so not one every mile. All well stocked and with supportive volunteers.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-31 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon

2009-05-31 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2184173

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon

Good first HIM.  Sure you would have liked to run a 2 hour half mary, but that is a tough course and it was hot as hell.  I'm sure you learned a lot and will apply it to the next one.

2009-05-31 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran

Good job getting it done! Real good race! These things hurt. 

2009-05-31 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2184230

User image

Master
Woodstock
Nice debut, especially on this course this early in the season in that heat. The wheels ALWAYS fall off a little in the run (for me at least) Congrats on your first HIM!
2009-05-31 12:18 PM

User image

Regular
Way to get the first one out of the way. I know the feeling about having to will your way through the run. At least you know now what areas to work on for the next one. BTW, if you figure out the down below area share it with me. It kills me on anything over an hour or so.
2009-06-02 7:45 PM

User image

Regular
Good showing especially on that course.  If it were easy, everyone would do it and as you can see from the size of the field, not everyone is.  Congrats on finishing the first one (which means there is more enjoyment and revenge to follow).  Keep that leg healthy and you will show the next run who's boss.

2009-06-02 8:11 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Impressive performance for your first HIM on THAT COURSE!! You done good and learned a lot...see you there next year
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed