Heartland Sport Promotions
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 19s
Overall Rank = 181/302
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 32/46
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast, some coffee, and drive down to the site. Set up the bike, and transition area, then do the meet and greet with poeple you run into.
Event warmup:

Light stretching, couple minutes of open water swim to loosen up and get used to the water.
Swim
  • 40m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had serious problems with the swim start. Kept swallowing air and water, got kicked a few times (nothing serious), right eye piece suddenly started leaking water, and couldn't make any headway. I looked for the kayak a couple times and entertained thoughts of tossing in the towel, but managed to suck it up and keep going. :( Once I got behind everyone and settled down, was able to find my stroke and swim ok the rest of the way in, albeitly slowly. I wasted at least 5 minutes in the first 200m though, just getting settled down. Just awful.
What would you do differently?:

Well, more open water swims if possible, maybe get used to swimming with people rather than having a lane or half a lane in the pool for 8 straight months.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Not a great transition time, but not terrible. My right eyepiece was leaking most of the swim, so by the time I hit the transition there was a nice film over my right eye, hard to see till I'd been on the bike a bit. Had to sit down to put the socks on, but other than that, not too bad.

Not much, other than check the goggles again before the swim start.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 19s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike split, no complaints about 21.2 average given the technical section of the course where you really had to slow down. May have overcooked it a little trying to make up for the horrible swim....see notes in the run section below. :)

Not too much, maybe saved a smidge near the end.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

No complaints here, maybe a little faster but it was ok. :)
Run
  • 54m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, much suckage here for me. I started out fine, was running about an 8:10 min/mile pace the first 5k, but finished with about 8:45 min/mile by the end, which put me well over 9 min/mile the 2nd 5k. I didn't feel that bad, but just had no energy whatsoeve for the 2nd loop, had to just concentrate on putting 1 foot in front of the other and refusing to walk.

Hard to say. I might have overcooked the bike a little bit trying to recover from the horrible swim, or I might just still suck a lot at the run. Maybe both. Best bet is to be in better shape on the run, probably dropping some weight would help. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Gasping for air, fumbling with timing chip/strap, and looking for shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. I was totally unprepared mentally for a mass start, open water swim. I lost at least 5 minutes in the first 200m trying to get my head on straight and find my stroke.

2. General conditioning just not where it needs to be, especially on the run. My training has been lighter than it should be for the last month or so, especially for an Olympic distance event. Need to increase the volume and intensity if I want to do longer races.

Event comments:

Innaugural KC Triathlon - they did a great job. TONS of volunteers on the swim, bike, and run courses, and they were very supportive. I would do this race next year and definitely recommend it to friends.

Last updated: 2009-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:22 | 1640 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 42/46
Overall: 249/302
Performance: Bad
Suit: Yes - Promotion
Course: Single loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:19 | 24.85 miles | 21.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/46
Overall: 92/302
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Interesting course. Parts of it were very fast (nothing like a long downhill for old fat guys like me to spin out of the hardest gear), and one section was very technical - hairpin turns, etc. Course was 25 miles, 2 loops, but fun. Mostly smooth pavement, rough in a few spots, and it started out a little wet but was dry by the 2nd loop.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:54:11 | 06.21 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/46
Overall: 252/302
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops, paved running trail and some asphalt road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-31 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO
Subject: The Kansas City Triathlon

2009-05-31 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2184387

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: The Kansas City Triathlon
Way to stick with it during the swim.  Solid bike time too!  Congrats on a good race.  I still need to get my race report done.  . . too tired to think straight. 
2009-05-31 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey man, way to gut it out. Would have been well justified in bagging it. As much crap as I give you under normal circumstances, no call for any here. You overcame the physical issues with mental toughness that will serve you well in future races with better circumstances.

2009-06-01 8:29 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Sounds like a rough start... and it LOOKED like one with all of the dudes mashed into one heat!! Wonder why they did that? Regardless, good for you for keeping going and finishing that swim!

Keep at it and have a great rest of the season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Kansas City Triathlon Rss Feed