General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-06-25 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2184656

User image

Regular
PA
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race : Official Thread
I have to go for packet pickup sat am...will be stuck in the sprint traffic..ugh!

2009-06-26 8:34 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I drove by there last night on my way home and they were setting things up. I got very excited
2009-06-26 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Bucks County
Good luck to everyone - wish I could be there this year. Maybe next season.
2009-06-26 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2244643

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

mrbbrad - 2009-06-26 9:34 AM I drove by there last night on my way home and they were setting things up. I got very excited

As long as you're not feeling "mediocre".  Wink

BTW, can't recall if I ever asked, which 'burbs are you in?

2009-06-26 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2244904

User image

Elite
SE
im ready to roll per keswick who got my bike. now to fly in from atl to phi. ill be the big bald black kitted mac truck in wave 6. watch out for the litespeed blade when i roll on by haha

good luck everyone
2009-06-26 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2244904

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
JohnnyKay - 2009-06-26 10:42 AM

mrbbrad - 2009-06-26 9:34 AM I drove by there last night on my way home and they were setting things up. I got very excited

As long as you're not feeling "mediocre".  Wink

BTW, can't recall if I ever asked, which 'burbs are you in?

Well played, sir. Well played

I am in Lower Merion.

2009-06-26 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
Good luck everyone!
2009-06-26 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Good luck!
2009-06-27 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2246631

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was at Olympic pickup earlier and this guy was in the next line over picking up his packet:

2009-06-28 3:04 PM

User image

Regular
PA

cool. a celebrity on the course! when will they post results?

2009-06-28 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2248514

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
GP160 - 2009-06-28 4:04 PM

when will they post results?

They have: http://www.virtualroster.com/index.cfm?action=dspClientHome&cli...

2009-06-28 4:17 PM

User image

Did the Oly today and it was a great race.  Catching a bus to the swim start was a pain but other than that it was well run.   The current in the river was moving pretty good and the swim is downstream so that was a nice little push and made for some fast swim times.  T1 went pretty well for me.  My rack was near a bank of porta pottys so the smell was not too great but it made it easy to find my spot.  I racked at the end so it made the travel a little further but it was worth it for the room and not having to fight others to get in and out. 

The bike was a bit hillier than I expected but there were plenty of downhills to make it pretty fast.  The uphills are a bit of a challenge for me due to asthma but once I make it over I can move pretty good.  On the flats and downs I was probably averaging around 24MPH but the hills killed me and were more like 10 - 14MPH so my bike time came out at 20.05MPH.  I was pretty happy with it, not my fastest but respectable. 

There was a nasty crash on the downhill on Black Street, does anyone know if the guy is alright or what exactly happened?  When I came by he was laying near a concrete column with a bunch of medics around him and it looked pretty bad.  I really hope he is OK.  From the color of his uniform he might have been with Team in Training.

The bike dismount was a bit rough and they needed to have at least one more volunteer to help with it.  Or at least someone who would stop talking and tell people to slow down.  There were numerous close calls and I did see a couple people fall over and others ride right past the dismount line.  My T2 was terrible as I did my dismount with my shoes still locked on the bike and when I got to the rack I was missing a shoe so I had to spend about 2 minutes or so retracing my path to find it.

The run course was flat and fast, not for me but for the fast people     My run was mediocre and nowhere near my PR but that happens.  It was pretty hot by the time I got to the run and I really gave my all on the bike as I know the run is not my best sport.  I figured if I gained 10 minutes by biking harder and it cost me 5 or 6 minutes on the run it was still a positive.

I would recommend doing Philly at least once but the cost is higher than a lot of other local tris so I don't know I would do it again just for that reason.  I can do 2 smaller races for the price of philly. 

Hope everyone else enjoyed their race!!

BTW, My wife did the sprint, my 12 year old and 9 year old did the DU's and my 4 year old did the fun run so it was a whole family affair   
2009-06-28 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
New Jersey (outside philly)
Couple things about the race.....

Im training for Lake Placid so I didnt race this year. Went over in support of a few friends doing the race. I noticed a few semi celebs there. I saw the weather guy from Channel 6 (Adam Joseph). He was on the rack next to a freind of mine. I also noticed somebody that I knew I have seen before. When I looked at his bike, got me thinking....Look TT bike with green trim. Took a better look and sure enough it was Saul Rasin. For those who dont know Saul is a former Pro cyclist who was forced to retire after a NASTY crash resulting in a severe brain injury. Has his own foundation-Rasinhope.

Now a couple not so good things.......
First while waiting for our last friend to finish we walked to the last water stop. There was a group of.....Im trying not to sound nasty with this...inner city teens and 1 adult. The 2 teen girls working the water table were more interested in texting and horseplay then handing out water. Just standing in the way. One athlete shouted water 5 times with no water handed to her. she then stopped and got it herself. This led to my bud who is a Union leader to tell them to just stand behind the table so the athletes can just grab water. The reply was "well we are done anyway" and they then went and sat on the sidewalk. Then the three of us started to work the waterstation. We handed out water for about 15min til we saw our friend.....I know their volenteers but they were better off just staying out of the way.

Black rd crash
I was on the inside curve at the bottom of Black Rd when the crash happened. My freind Marco was looking up the road at the time and saw the inpact. I had my back turned at the time....just saw the guy(or gal) laying there motionless. I ran down to the guy at the bottom with the megaphone and told him to get a medic, horrible crash at the mid point of the downhill. By now there was a crowd around the fallen rider, and a medic on a 4wheeler was on the inside with us, I got a section of fence opened for him to allow access for him to the Rd. As far as the crash, it sounded like the rider mis judged the turn wide and went full speed into one of the Pillars of the railroad bridge. Ilater asked an EMT how it looked, he said didnt look like anything broken, but rider was unconsious(sp) head injury.....I sure hope its not serious.

Edited by Bry03cobra 2009-06-28 4:47 PM
2009-06-28 8:02 PM

New user

Downingtown
Really enjoyed the race today.  The swim was great,  swimming in the river is fun with the current.

Bike course was a little tougher then expected,   I live near lots of hills so i'm used to climbing and it gave me a chance to stand and stretch legs.

I do think they have to do something about black rd.  Its just unsafe after reading about the accident at the bottom of the hill.  There was one towards the top where the spectator cross (and got in the way of this biker) that my wife said was horrific the guy was shouting that he thought he broke his back and could not move.  There is no reason to have people crossing the bike course to walk to transition area.  They need to move the fence area that you walk up and down black rd to the left so people can cross without walking on course and put lots of signs and volunteers there tellling people to slow down.

Nice scenic flat run
2009-06-28 8:09 PM

User image

Regular
PA
I thought the race was great.  Volunteers were always helpful and the bike course was not as crowded as I anticipated.  One thing that pissed me off big time were the Pro's (or people on fancy tri bikes that thought they were pro's) whizzing past me without saying 'on your left!'
Now I am not fast but maintained almost an 18 pace the whole time.  When I passed anyone I notified them that I was on the left.  Why is it that these guys with disc wheels come whizzing past and say nothing??  Are they too cool to notify me they are passing?  OR, Am I supposed to hear them coming first and move my pitful self out of the way? 
Other than that the race was great and I set a 22 min PR on the course.
2009-06-28 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Way to go Gwen!!! IMKY, only a few short weeks away!!!

2009-06-29 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2248963

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
GP160 - 2009-06-28 9:09 PM
One thing that pissed me off big time were the Pro's (or people on fancy tri bikes that thought they were pro's) whizzing past me without saying 'on your left!'
Now I am not fast but maintained almost an 18 pace the whole time.  When I passed anyone I notified them that I was on the left.  Why is it that these guys with disc wheels come whizzing past and say nothing??  Are they too cool to notify me they are passing?  OR, Am I supposed to hear them coming first and move my pitful self out of the way? 

No offense, but as one of those on a "fancy tri bike" with a disc wheel, if I had to say 'on your left' to everyone I passed I would be hoarse and out of breath.  I call out when somebody is blocking or when I think they may be moving left for a pass of their own.  Otherwise the easiest, and generally safest, route is just to ride on past.  If you aren't passing, you should be over to the right and not in their way.

But congrats on the nice PR! 
2009-06-29 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2248599

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
TheNoid - 2009-06-28 5:17 PM Did the Oly today and it was a great race.  Catching a bus to the swim start was a pain but other than that it was well run.   The current in the river was moving pretty good and the swim is downstream so that was a nice little push and made for some fast swim times.  T1 went pretty well for me.  My rack was near a bank of porta pottys so the smell was not too great but it made it easy to find my spot.  I racked at the end so it made the travel a little further but it was worth it for the room and not having to fight others to get in and out. 

The bike was a bit hillier than I expected but there were plenty of downhills to make it pretty fast.  The uphills are a bit of a challenge for me due to asthma but once I make it over I can move pretty good.  On the flats and downs I was probably averaging around 24MPH but the hills killed me and were more like 10 - 14MPH so my bike time came out at 20.05MPH.  I was pretty happy with it, not my fastest but respectable. 

There was a nasty crash on the downhill on Black Street, does anyone know if the guy is alright or what exactly happened?  When I came by he was laying near a concrete column with a bunch of medics around him and it looked pretty bad.  I really hope he is OK.  From the color of his uniform he might have been with Team in Training.

The bike dismount was a bit rough and they needed to have at least one more volunteer to help with it.  Or at least someone who would stop talking and tell people to slow down.  There were numerous close calls and I did see a couple people fall over and others ride right past the dismount line.  My T2 was terrible as I did my dismount with my shoes still locked on the bike and when I got to the rack I was missing a shoe so I had to spend about 2 minutes or so retracing my path to find it.

The run course was flat and fast, not for me but for the fast people     My run was mediocre and nowhere near my PR but that happens.  It was pretty hot by the time I got to the run and I really gave my all on the bike as I know the run is not my best sport.  I figured if I gained 10 minutes by biking harder and it cost me 5 or 6 minutes on the run it was still a positive.

I would recommend doing Philly at least once but the cost is higher than a lot of other local tris so I don't know I would do it again just for that reason.  I can do 2 smaller races for the price of philly. 

Hope everyone else enjoyed their race!!

BTW, My wife did the sprint, my 12 year old and 9 year old did the DU's and my 4 year old did the fun run so it was a whole family affair   

Sounds like you had a weekend much like mine. 

My wife also did the sprint and I had my 10 & 7 year old in the du.  (My 5yo wanted no part of the fun run, though).  And I was toward the middle/front of one of the bike rows by the port-o-johns too.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2009-06-29 7:57 AM
2009-06-29 7:51 AM

User image

Regular
PA

Well that is something I didn't think about.... The fast guys and gals on the left side of the road are tearing it up and betting on the fact that those of us in the middle are looking out for them and know common road rules.  The folks in the middle of the road are looking out for the novices on the far right who have no clue what is going on.  I feel the need to tell them I am passing even if they are not blocking.  I have had so many people during races turn right into me without so much as a warning.  These Philly races are usually a first time tri for many people.  While I think its great more people are coming into triathlon, I have to be very careful on the bike course to avoid other peoples novice mistakes. 
Thanks for the different perspective. 

Edited by GP160 2009-06-29 8:06 AM
2009-06-29 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2249537

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
GP160 - 2009-06-29 8:51 AM

Well that is something I didn't think about.... The fast guys and gals on the left side of the road are tearing it up and betting on the fact that those of us in the middle are looking out for them and know common road rules.  The folks in the middle of the road are looking out for the novices on the far right who have no clue what is going on.  I feel the need to tell them I am passing even if they are not blocking.  I have had so many people during races turn right into me without so much as a warning.  These Philly races are usually a first time tri for many people.  While I think its great more people are coming into triathlon, I have to be very careful on the bike course to avoid other peoples novice mistakes. 
Thanks for the different perspective. 

Well, personally at least, I don't try to bet that those in the "middle" are looking out for me.  Coming from behind, I have the advantage of seeing what is happening in front of me and make my own judgement about the saftey of the situation at hand.  I do assume that if someone is following a line and doesn't have anyone to pass that they will stay to the right.  I ride that way after I pass and expect others to do the same.  And when I come back out left for a pass, I try to glance and ensure nobody is attempting to pass me on the left at the time.  I know not all novices will do this, but it really is their obligation to understand the rules of the road before they race.

I do agree that the Philly bike course requires constant attention with all the riders out there.  I actually thought it was much better this year than last in terms of people riding appropriately.
2009-06-29 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2249598

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
JohnnyKay - 2009-06-29 9:17 AM

I do assume that if someone is following a line and doesn't have anyone to pass that they will stay to the right.  I ride that way after I pass and expect others to do the same.  And when I come back out left for a pass, I try to glance and ensure nobody is attempting to pass me on the left at the time.  I know not all novices will do this, but it really is their obligation to understand the rules of the road before they race.

This was my biggest complaint of the day; riders not keeping right. I was "forced" to pass on the right a couple of times and other times had to work to not block faster riders who were passing on the left while I was trying to pass folks who were happily riding on the double yellow line. Some spots were crowded, but many times I saw riders who had plenty of room to move right but just didn't.

2009-06-29 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2249633

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA

This was my biggest complaint of the day; riders not keeping right. I was "forced" to pass on the right a couple of times and other times had to work to not block faster riders who were passing on the left while I was trying to pass folks who were happily riding on the double yellow line. Some spots were crowded, but many times I saw riders who had plenty of room to move right but just didn't.

Agreed!  Several folks just stayed pegged to the yellow line cruising along at 17-18mph even when there was ample room to their right.  You really needed to have all of your senses working to stay alert on that bike course.  Great day, though.

2009-06-29 3:29 PM

I was really excited when I signed up for this race over 9 months ago.  I trained extremely hard throughout the year as I tried to do this race last year but couldn't because it filled up and I didn't sign up quick enough.  While I was training I suffered a sports hernia and had surgery in late May.  Due to my injury I wasn't able to participate in Saturday's 2009 running.  LARS BECK is the race organizer and I asked him since I already paid the $150.00 fee to participate but by doctors orders I wasn't able to do the Tri and asked LARS if he could simply use my fee for next years race and he wouldn't help me out at all.  I was extremely disappointed as this is a race I was looking to do for over a year and had no control over getting injured.  I wasn't asking LARS for the money back but simply to use it as payment for next years race and I was met with an attitude and a "it's not my problem" response.  BEWARE WHEN DEALING WITH LARS BECK! 
2009-06-29 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2251173

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
md2400block - 2009-06-29 4:29 PM I was really excited when I signed up for this race over 9 months ago.  I trained extremely hard throughout the year as I tried to do this race last year but couldn't because it filled up and I didn't sign up quick enough.  While I was training I suffered a sports hernia and had surgery in late May.  Due to my injury I wasn't able to participate in Saturday's 2009 running.  LARS BECK is the race organizer and I asked him since I already paid the $150.00 fee to participate but by doctors orders I wasn't able to do the Tri and asked LARS if he could simply use my fee for next years race and he wouldn't help me out at all.  I was extremely disappointed as this is a race I was looking to do for over a year and had no control over getting injured.  I wasn't asking LARS for the money back but simply to use it as payment for next years race and I was met with an attitude and a "it's not my problem" response.  BEWARE WHEN DEALING WITH LARS BECK! 

Seriously? You're gonna bash Lars?

I guess you missed part of the registration process. I'm pretty sure you have to click "I accept" to similar verbiage online:

Refunds/Transfers/Deferrals/Changes
There are no refunds.
There are no transfers.
Deferrals are allowed until May 15, 2009; deferred entrants will be charged $50 when they register for the 2010 race.

Rules are rules. If they get bent for you they have to get bent for everyone, then there aren't rules anymore.

Edited by mrbbrad 2009-06-29 3:40 PM
2009-06-29 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2251173

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
md2400block - 2009-06-29 4:29 PM I was really excited when I signed up for this race over 9 months ago.  I trained extremely hard throughout the year as I tried to do this race last year but couldn't because it filled up and I didn't sign up quick enough.  While I was training I suffered a sports hernia and had surgery in late May.  Due to my injury I wasn't able to participate in Saturday's 2009 running.  LARS BECK is the race organizer and I asked him since I already paid the $150.00 fee to participate but by doctors orders I wasn't able to do the Tri and asked LARS if he could simply use my fee for next years race and he wouldn't help me out at all.  I was extremely disappointed as this is a race I was looking to do for over a year and had no control over getting injured.  I wasn't asking LARS for the money back but simply to use it as payment for next years race and I was met with an attitude and a "it's not my problem" response.  BEWARE WHEN DEALING WITH LARS BECK! 

I'm sorry to hear that you got injured and missed the race.  It sucks, but slamming the RD because he would not make a special exception for you isn't cool.

They have that policy in place because they are dealing with over 3,000 participants between Saturday's sprint and Sunday's oly in addition to the logistics of running 2 races in 2 days.  They've got so much going on in the last few weeks before race weekend that they've implemented these kinds of policies.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3