Set Up Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 46s
Overall Rank = 40/183
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/29
Pre-race routine:

Got up a little after 3:00, had coffee and an egg sandwich. After I showered, Bethany and I packed the car and took off for Macon and triathlon #2. On the way to the race, we talked about our race goals and got pumped up with a little electronic music. I was nervous for the race, but felt more confident having raced a month ago and getting in some good training recently (especially adding a few open water swims). We got to the race site at about 6:30, a little later than the 5:30 arrival we were shooting for... but still plenty of time to get ready for a 8:00 start.
Event warmup:

After registering, picking up the chip, and body marking, I spent a long time setting up my transition area. I then decided, imagine this, it might be a good idea to warm up a little! I ran about 200 yards from the transition area when I heard over the speakers that transition was closing and that everyone had to report to the beach for the swim starts. Oh well, no running warm up today. Bethany and I made our way down to the beach, got our wetsuits on, and warmed up for a while. The first wave of 1/2 iron racers started at 7:30, so I had plenty of time to get used to the water and get warmed up. The water was definitely warm...probably over 78 degrees if you ask me, but I was definitely not complaining because I enjoy swimming in the wetsuit!

Since we had come down to the race start so early I had forgotten to take my pre-race Clif double espresso shot...big bummer! Who knows if it actually provides the boost I think it does. Honestly though, I don't care if it is 100% placebo effect, if I think it helps me it does!
Swim
  • 18m 28s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt fairly calm before the swim. I was wearing my new De Soto Speedvest for the 1st time, and it felt great during my warm up. As the horn went off I dove for clear water on the outside edge of the main pack of swimmers. Accept for a few swimmers here and there, for the first 200-300 meters I swam alone in nice,calm water.

It seemed like an eternity until I arrived at the 1st buoy. Although I don't wear a watch in the water and have no sense of speed in a wetsuit, I kept thinking, "if the 1st buoy is only 1/3 of the swim, I'm gonna be here for a while!" After finally reaching the turn, I decided to try my hand at drafting. I always read race reports on here about people finding a nice set of legs to draft off of, and then coveting them for the remainder of the race...sounds glorious! Unfortunately for me, I could never match up my speed w/ a good draftee (a lyrical conundrum indeed!). I kept picking someone who was either too fast and gone in 10 seconds, or so slow I got kicked in the head. Bottom line, I'll have to practice this before trying it in a race again.

I kept plodding along, the whole time thinking I must be going really slow bc it was seeming to take way longer than I expected. I finally made it to shore after zig-zagging my way around the course. It felt good to be on dry land again! I then began the jog up the steep hill to the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

I need to practice OWS more to try and learn how to swim good tangents in a straight line toward buoys better. My sighting also needs work. Overall, felt pretty good and didn't max my heart rate like my 1st race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Horrible transition! Wetsuit vest top came right off as I ran to T1, but the legs both got caught around my ankles. It took me probably 20 seconds just to get my right leg off. After that debacle, the rest of T1 went pretty smoothly. My only other issue is how difficult it is the get my bike shoes on and at the correct level of tension. I usually don't get it right before getting on the bike so I have to ride slowly and coast until I can reach down and ratchet them tighter and fix the velcro straps.

I need to practice taking the wetsuit off. Also, if I hadn't just bought my cycling shoes 3 months ago I'd go out and buy tri-specific shoes. I can't wait till these things wear out!
Bike
  • 46m 43s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Ah the bike leg...time to show where John's been slacking! You tell me, what's wrong w/ assuming you'll ride well on a hilly course when your bike training has consisted of A) Silver Comet Trail rides B) trainer rides and C) one long ride on a hilly course...last weekend? I don't get it! I guess I just assumed I could "gut it out" or HTFU or whatever. WRONG!

I don't want to get too into this leg of the race, as I've tried to block it out. I got passed by a ton of people. It was pretty discouraging, but I just couldn't muster up enough power to get over the hills at any pace. It was fun flying on the downhills though. The net of the net is it was a somewhat hilly course and I have been neglecting my bike training. I did although feel good about my gearing. I can and will be a better biker soon.

TRAIN! I gotta get in the saddle. I pushed as hard as I thought I could w/out trashing my legs, but I just need to get stronger.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

This was a good transition. I haven't mastered (or tried for that matter!) the flying mount/dismount w/ the shoes still clipped in...I'll save that for next year. Did everything like I wanted to. Ended up ranking 18/183 males and 2/29 for age group.

Nothing
Run
  • 21m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt pretty tired from the bike and so I had no delusions of grandeur, setting a PR for the run. I've been trying to get below 21 minutes in a 5k, open or in a tri, but have been unsuccessful so far. The run out to the turnaround was slow and hurt worse than the first half of a 5k usually does. I expect to feel the pain the last mile or so, but this hurt a little early. My saving grace was seeing a water stop w/ a bunch of people from the Atlanta Triathlon Club cheering me on. I don't know how many were there, maybe 6 or 7, but it felt like running out to the court before a basketball game in high school! They formed a tunnel handing out water on either side...I half expected to tear through a paper banner on the other end!

Anyway, the rest of the uphill sucked, but getting to the turnaround was a relief. Running downhill the last 1 1/2 miles was great...definitely helped the negative split. I just tried to run as fast as I could to make up for the 1st half. It hurt, but I kept repeating, "Lord, give me strength!" My prayers were answered and I was able to keep a good pace through the finish. It was great to hear Rivi from my club say "you gotta slow down so I can take a picture!"

I need to do more and longer brick runs, and start running more hills in training.
Post race
Warm down:

I was beat at the finish line so I just drank water and watched other people finishing. Was glad I could advise the announcer to call out my wife's name as she crossed the finish line...winning her age group BTW, and beating her husband!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've definitely got the tri bug now. I need to get serious about planning my workouts and improving my diet if I want to get to where I think I can be.

Event comments:

This was a very well-run race. From the volunteers, of which about 25 were from the Atl. Tri Club, to the post-race food and awards (nice trophy my wife got), everything seemed to go very smoothly. Gotta commend Set Up Events for running a good event. I'll definitely come back to race it again and hopefully be better prepared for the hills next time.

Last updated: 2009-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:28 | 820 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/29
Overall: 26/183
Performance: Good
Suit: De Soto 2-piece
Course: Clockwise around a triangle. Supposed to be 750m. RD announced at award ceremony that it was approximately 175m long. Time also included about 100 yds up a fairly steep hill to the transition area.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:43 | 15 miles | 19.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/29
Overall: 72/183
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course: Course was a single, clockwise loop. There were a bunch of rollers and a few steeper climbs, including one long, brutal climb. Course was on good roads, but riding on the big road's (don't know the name) shoulder proved a game to avoid all the gravel and rocks on it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:28 | 03.11 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/29
Overall: 36/183
Performance: Good
Course: Straight out and back w/ a slight incline most of the way out and the corresponding decline coming back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-31 6:10 PM

User image

Smyrna
Subject: Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon

2009-05-31 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2184738

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon
Nice insight into race day. Keep pushing hard.. the competition in Triathlon never lets up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N RollMan Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed