General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike Geometry vs. Road Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-19 8:24 AM

Subject: Tri Bike Geometry vs. Road Bike
I'm thinking about a new bike to replace my 18+ year old touring bike. There are already a lot of great posts on Felt v. Cervelo, etc. (and I saw a sweet Felt at LBS this past weekend) but my question related to "road bike vs. tri bike" especially since the geometry on tri bikes positions the rider in a different way.

If anyone has recently switched to a tri geometry bike versus road, I'd be curious to see what you feel are the pros and cons. Any difference on your knees? Is shifting from the front of the aerobar no big deal? Are there any things you like/dislike about the tri geometry? What other differences have you noticed? How confortable/uncomfortable is riding in the aero on tri geometry? Does putting aerobars on a roadie give you more versatility? LBS guy said that tri bike is the way to go, but that it can be harder on the knees because of positioning.

Either way, a new bike (even last years model) will be a huge upgrade, but before spending the $, I wanted to get as much input as possible. The plan is to use it only for tris.

2005-04-19 8:39 AM
in reply to: #144386

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Subject: RE: Tri Bike Geometry vs. Road Bike
My new-to-me tri bike arrives TODAY!! As soon as I get it built up the way I want and have a chance for a few long rides I'll give you a report on all the details. I'm planning to go on using my road bike for a lot of training, for comfort and also because it's heavier and I think the switch to the tri bike will make me feel really light and fast in comparison.
2005-04-19 11:38 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

I have not bought myself a tri specific bike yet but here is a good article on the differences between a road and a tri bike:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

2005-04-19 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
beez89 - 2005-04-19 8:24 AM
If anyone has recently switched to a tri geometry bike versus road, I'd be curious to see what you feel are the pros and cons. Any difference on your knees? Is shifting from the front of the aerobar no big deal? Are there any things you like/dislike about the tri geometry? What other differences have you noticed? How confortable/uncomfortable is riding in the aero on tri geometry? Does putting aerobars on a roadie give you more versatility? LBS guy said that tri bike is the way to go, but that it can be harder on the knees because of positioning.

I'll give you a "regular guy" perspective..I had been riding (and still ride) a 30 year old, 27" steel road bike, and I recently bought a Felt B2. I have ridden the Felt about 100 miles so far.

First, it's twitchy compared to the road bike. With the brakes on the bullhorns and the shifters on the aero bars, it takes some getting used to when you switch from one to the other.

Secondly, as I've gotten used to it, the aero position is more comfortable than staying in the drops on the road bike. It may be a bit wacky, but when I want to sit upright, I hold onto the aero bar pads and ride that way.

Finally, it's faster..to the tune of 2-3 MPH average, in my case. I really, really like being able to stay aero and shift; I can click down one gear on a slight grade and back up when I need to, and never have to sit up, switch hand positions, etc.

I haven't really noticed any difference in the way my knees feel or the way I feel running off of the bike, but I haven't done any really long bricks with the Felt yet.
2005-04-19 2:55 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
I find the post ride run to be easier.

Results may vary.
2005-04-19 7:07 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
I have been riding a road bike for almost 10 years, and replaced it with another (better) road bike about a year and a half ago. About 2 months ago, I bought a tri bike, a QR Caliente. I have only put about 250 miles on it so far. I do like the geometry of the tri bike alot, in fact, after riding it, the road bike always feels too big at first, but that goes away after about 10 miles. I feel fresher coming off the tri bike if I am doing a brick. It does take a little time to get used to the tri feel, and having the brake and shifters in differant locations is a wierd feeling at first. My knees never feel any differant from one bike to the other. I think the tri bike might be faster than the road bike, but I have not riden it enough to be sure. Being in the areo position on the tri bike is comfortable for me. I had a areo bar on my old road bike, never could use it for very long, just didnt feel right. It feels good on the tri bike. If you are going to only have 1 bike, I would say get a road bike. Since you old touring bike, a tri bike might be right for you. BTW, check out http://www.preownedbikes.com/preowned/I got a VERY good deal on QR.
Good luck.

Edited by Freeswimmingfish 2005-04-19 7:08 PM

2005-04-19 7:45 PM

User image

Veteran
"The plan is to use it only for tris."

I think you answered your question right there.

I switched from a road bike to a tri bike this year. Have about 300 miles on hte tri bike and raced it for the first time last weekend. I still ride my road bike some, especially with a large group of roadies, but find myself wanting to just ride the tri bike more and more. It's more comfortable in the aero position than my road bike was with clip-ons--I think that's the main advantage; that and the fact that it looks cooler at races .
2005-04-19 10:54 PM

User image

Longwood Florida
it's taken more more time and experimenting to find a good comfortable position on my dual than it did for me to get comfortable on my lemond , but it's worth the effort.

I definately notice a huge different in my legs, with the lemond , sitting so far back , I use my whole leg, and really feel my glutes and hams working.

on the dual , I don' t feel them at all, it's all quads.

I 'm faster, I climb easier, it's all around worth it.

the saddle position and where I feel the pressure on the tri bike?

I don't know that i'll ever get used to that.

it's just not right :-)
2005-04-20 8:20 AM

Thanks for all of the excellent thoughts! It sounds like tri is the way to go.

CLLinIA, let me know how it goes with the new wheels!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike Geometry vs. Road Bike Rss Feed