Madison, Florida
United States
DRC Sports
Total Time = 2h 38m 25s
Overall Rank = 39/112
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Slept like crap, kept waking up, got up 430, contacts wouldn't cooperate. Had a zone perfect and coffee. Put the bike in the truck, froggy's rear tire flatted overnight. Changed that, had more contact issues. Finally headed to the race around 515. Got to the race, assigned racks, stood in the packet pick-up line.
Event warmup:

10min jog stretch, a little pressed for time so no spin on the bike
Swim
  • 30m 35s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out good, on the outside, started hard, fought through some people and got into the open, then my right side started to flood, contact got screwy. Had to stop and fix it. Got going again, tried to find some feet, but closest peeps were swimming in the wrong direction or going slower. Made it to the first turn and found some feet drafted off him for the rest of the race off and on. Had a back stroker try to cut off my legs. Made the second turn and headed for home. Started to feel like I was melting in the wetsuit and couldn't wait to get it off.
What would you do differently?:

Not to much, sighting was on, drafting went well, figured I would go 35min so this was a good time for me. This was also my first ows at this distance, so I'm happy with it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

This was my best wetsuit removal thus far, still need to be quicker
Bike
  • 1h 13m 52s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I actually raced the bike this time, previous races I have kinda done my own thing. This one I raced, tried to catch people and keep up with those that passed. I attacked every other hill. I still got passed by a few on road bikes which is unacceptable in my mind (I ride a road bike). Wanted to go 19-20avg, so accomplished that, but it may have cost me on the run.

Not sure maybe drink more and hit another gu during the bike, only used one. I nearly emptied both bottles so maybe take a large bottle.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Think this was my fastest t2 so far
Run
  • 51m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Brutal, this is where the wheels started to come off. It seemed like I was running uphill most of the run. Picked up 4 or 5 spots during the first mile, was doing good made the turn to head back and things slowed down. Lost a spot I had picked up and kept pace with him as long as I could. This is where things blew up. About mile 4 I started getting the chills. Thought it was the shade but they persisted in the sun. My pace dropped off to what felt like 9 or 10min miles and it was a struggle to the finish as I watched my 235 goal time slowly slip away.

Take hydration with me, drink more on the bike, or something. Probably took off to fast off the bike.
Post race
Event comments:

Overall, I was happy with the my performance since this was the first true Olympic distance race I have done. Got the roll down third place since first in my ag was second overall, second was 7th overall. Challenging course. Wish there was more water on run. I was pretty amazed that a drafting penalty got handed out since the only people on the bike course were police. Someone must have blown the whistle. Actually cost her the overall female 3rd place podium spot.

Roadkill on course:
2 dillars
1 water turtle(unknown species), did see one tiny tiny turtle, wanted to stop to check it out, may have been a snapper
1 scarlet king snake (saw this on the run)

Last updated: 2009-04-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:35 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 47/112
Performance: Good
Suit: qr john
Course: Out across back in
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:52 | 24.85 miles | 20.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 43/112
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills, fast heading south into Madison, slower heading north, one rough section about midway, little bit of a headwind on the way north
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good