General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » first Tri attempt--no swimming experience... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-31 9:15 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: first Tri attempt--no swimming experience...
Hello everyone, I'm Bill.

Well, I ran cross-country all through high school, slowly dropped out of it, and 6 years later, I'm getting into better shape than I've ever been. I picked up a bike towards the end of last year, and at the present time, I'm able to ride 40-50 miles, averaging 15-16mph with some hills and flats. I have no problems riding for 3+ hours at a time.
I can run 8-9 milers without too much trouble at a 9-10 minute mile pace. I've recently tried both biking and running; for example, if I ride 20-30, I can run 2 or 3 miles right afterward. This is pretty much the extent of my training thus far: I am going to start a swimming training schedule in the next few weeks.
I found a sprint triathlon towards the end of September, and since its my first I'm basically trying to finish. The next few tri's are the ones i'll look to improve on my base. Am I training properly? thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit: I forgot to say that last year, I weighed in at 185-190lbs. and currently I'm holding steady at 165lbs. Target weight for the tri is around 155ish.

Edited by Beil 2009-05-31 9:24 PM

2009-06-01 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2185203

User image

Regular
Bay City, MI
Subject: RE: first Tri attempt--no swimming experience...
easiest way to make sure you are on target for training is to make use of the training plans here. SOunds like you are way ahead of some first timers including myself. Best of luck and enjoy the tri experience.
2009-06-05 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2185203

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Subject: RE: first Tri attempt--no swimming experience...

From someone with a similar background as you, I would recommend finding someone to teach you how to swim correctly.  I found someone that taught triathletes using the Total Immersion technique, and was very pleased with the results.  You can buy books and videos, and find youtube videos demonstrating this style along with many more.  Or you could join a local masters swim team.  It will make your triathlon experience much more satisfying.

There are several training plans on this site you could peruse to compare your training to.  There are also several books available.  I like theTriathlon Training Bible, but some find it too complicated.  I believe some of the plans here use the training structure from that book, and will be using one for my second half-ironman.  You could also look into http://www.furman.edu/first/5K%20Training%20Program.pdf  for some other training idealogies once you have a base built up.  There are lots of training philosophies out there, but most can agree that you should train with a purpose(have a plan), and be consistant.

One other thing that helped me was finding a local triathlon club.  If there is a strong club in your area, I couldn't recommend this more.

I wish you success!

edit-  P.S. - You might want to log your workouts here on BT.  When you ask about your training the 'experts'  will look at your logs.  If there is nothing there, they can't comment.

Edited by ray6foot7 2009-06-05 8:19 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » first Tri attempt--no swimming experience... Rss Feed