View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ridgefield, Connecticut
United States
Total Time = 1h 16m 39s
Overall Rank = 64/349
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Up @ 3:30 AM and out the door @ 4:15. Too early! Got to transition by 5 and got THE best spot in transition, which was right by the bike out and in so I didn't have to run far in my cycling shoes.

Met Rudedog55, jsklarz, jellyfish, and smoke before and after the race. Nice to finally put faces to names.
Event warmup:

Not that great of a warmup....just a 5 min run. My legs felt super loose so I figured I could skimp on it.....BAD mistake cuz I paid for it on the bike.
Swim
  • 14m 9s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

By far the best OWS I have ever done!

Knew I was going to do a 14 min something in the swim and figured I would finish middle of the pack. Somehow upon finishing the swim there was no one around me and upon entering the bike there was still no one around me. I guess I had a good swim and finished towards the front?

I even passed people on the swim. What!?!?! Yes, I actually passed people on the swim!

Going into the swim was a rush and I was a lot more aggresive in getting past people and swimming over or around them. At the first bouy turn I took a nice kick to the jugular. Ouch! It wasn't that bad afterall.

Awesome swim! The water had to be 70 degrees.

I did my first triathlon this day last year and my half mile swim time then was 20 mins and change. Shaving off 6 mins in a year I think is called improvement. :)
What would you do differently?:

Keep doing what I have been doing to see more improvment.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Long stinky run past the porto-pots. Wet suit came off as usual and I got my feet cleaned off enough to get the shoes on without socks and onto the bike. I had a great transition spot.

Still trying to figure out how to get onto the shoes onto the bike.
Bike
  • 36m 30s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Got going on the bike and my inner quads were screaming at me! I wasn't picking people off left and right like I usually would because my swim always sucked. I was getting passed every now and then and I wasn't passing anybody. This is a first! Perhaps I did have a good swim afterall?

Speed wise, this was the best speed that I have averaged in a race and it was NOT a flat course either. However, this was not the best bike performace I have ever put in. I averaged 200 watts for the course, which should have been in the 220 range. My legs just didn't feel like they were firing on all cylinders. Coming out of the water and getting onto the bike my legs felt like ice blocks and climbing was excruciatingly painful.

Thats it, for the next race, I'm doing a freaking warmup on the bike! Enough of the "Icy Legs" that have been plaguing me in every tri I have ever done.

Bike more. Way behind this time last year. Need to do more speed intervals and pay attention to my watts to guide effort.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

I got one foot out coming into transition, but didn't have enough room to get the other foot out in time, so I did the old fashioned method of getting off the bike. Saved a bit of time having the other foot out. Maybe I'll get another chance to finally do a flying dismount in a race.

Got my socks on quickly and off I went on the run. The transition spot again helped a LOT.

Time getting my feet out of the shoes better.
Run
  • 23m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were laughing at me for the first mile. I felt SO slow. Must not have been or else when my legs FINALLY opened up at around 1.5 miles I was booking it! Or either the run course was short or I was in fact booking it cuz I broke my 5K PR by 41 seconds. Never ran that fast before!

When I hit the top of the last hill, this spectator right there and then turned on his techno music and started blasting it. It was awesome :)

I did the run without any tape on my feet, but the remnant of my nasty blister never cropped up. So that is almost done healing. Still gonna tape it.

Upon entering the finish area there was a good sized crowd with an even bigger cheer coming from it and that totally inspired me to hit the gas for the finish. I felt the best during the entire race at the finish.

Keep doing what I'm doing. I went 5 mins faster in this 5K than during the 5K in my first tri exactly 1 year ago.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water. My legs actually felt good. Found my family and said congrats to my fellow BT'ers

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No warmup on the bike and my legs feeling icy cold at the start of the bike.

Event comments:

Doing this one again next year!

Last updated: 2009-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:09 | 880 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 74/349
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Boxy, triangle polygon shape.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:30 | 13 miles | 21.37 mile/hr
Overall: 70/349
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Rolling terrain with a sharp left turn. Little wind, thankfully.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:00 | 03.1 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 107/349
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-06-01 9:06 AM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Subject: Tri Ridgefield

2009-06-01 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2186016

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Tri Ridgefield
AWESOME AWESOME JOB!!!!!!! great work, and it was nice training and racing with you!!!!!  Keep it up and lets get together soon again to work out!!! 

Dood 64/350 is friggin awesome!!!!!!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Ridgefield Rss Feed