Get Fit Kentucky
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 6s
Overall Rank = 38/91
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

Got there really early. Left my hotel at 0500 to make sure that I could find the place. Still had to do several u-turns. Grabbed some coffee on the way in and finished munching on a powerbar.
Event warmup:

Stretched out after I got my transition area all set up. Did a little swim out to the first buoy and back and ran for about 5 mins to get the blood flowing and get some of the pre race jitters out of my system. Had a gel about twenty minutes before race start.
Swim
  • 09m 4s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

I found out that swimming in a straight line in open water is very hard. Doing the warmup swim helped with the low visibility(2 ft) jitters, but I need to work on sighting on the buoys more. I kept looking up and being way off to the right.
What would you do differently?:

Swim straighter.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Not too bad. Yanked my goggles and swim cap off as I was running up the hill, and then it was just a matter of getting my socks and shoes on. I need to work on getting my pedals clipped in faster. Also forgot to take my next gel here.

Take a gel before the bike, and practice putting socks on wet feet.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 19s
  • 17.1 miles
  • 17.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Rolling hills. Ha! I don't remember too many flat spots on the whole course, so I was hurting by the time I got back to transition. Took me a minute to get up to full speed because of some nice little hills getting out of the campground area. After that, I settled into a pretty steady pace. I was doing pretty well overall. Kept playing leapfrog with a couple of people. They would pass, we would hit a hill, I would pass back, repeat throughout. Praying Hill, as it is affectionately known is a killer hill. I made it about halfway up, and had to dismount and walk it the rest of the way up. Two guys were able to stay on there bikes the entire way up the hill, but they sounded like they were dying. Took me another minute to get all clipped back in and then we were off again. Lots and lots of hills. I also kept dropping the chain trying to go into granny gear up some of the longer stretches of hills. I think it is time for me to get a new bike that fits me.

Ride more hills, shift better.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Got back, racked the bike. Took me fingers a minute to unsnap my helmet, then I just grabbed my last gel, shoved my feet in my shoes, clipped my race number belt on and I was off.

Not much. Slow down a little bit and try to move faster.
Run
  • 25m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt pretty good. The uphills and downhills were hard on me after the thrashing they took on the bike, but I just kept plodding along. Finished strong and did this little hop across the finish line. Yeah! I'm a triathlete!

Practice running after riding to get used to the pain.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a minute basking in the glory. Stretched out, packed up my gear and ate everything in sight. Not really, but the food was free and it was good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being new, pushing too hard through the bike, not swimming in a straight line, all things that will get better with practice.

Event comments:

Very well put together. Small but lots of fun. Will definitely try to come back and do it again.

Last updated: 2009-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:04 | 500 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 0/91
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: U-shaped course around two buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:00:19 | 17.1 miles | 17.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 0/91
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling hills through Union County, KY, with one monster called Praying Hill
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:25 | 03.1 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 38/91
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-01 5:47 PM

User image

Subject: Get Fit Kentucky

2009-06-01 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2187715

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: Get Fit Kentucky

Awesome job bro!  That's a solid swim time, room to improve on the bike ( though a new bike that fits and shifts properly will help ), and solid run for a triathlon run leg.  Remember you're running on tired legs, so gotta give yourself a little bit of a break there.  Very nearly sub-8's in your first triathlon on a hilly run course!

Welcome to the wonderful world of triathlon. 

Can't wait to see what you do on your future races. 

Hmm... I should go back and look to see what I did in my first triathlon.  I think about the same, though you may have edged me a bit on the run.

2009-06-01 11:47 PM

User image

New user

Colorado
Awesome work here!  You prepared well and executed with only small challenges, no glaring problems or mistakes.   Of course you'll do better next time and your training between now and then will reflect the lessons learned on this one.

There is a tendancy with sprint distance to not really train hard and figure you can just muscle your way through it, but that doesn't really work.  I have discovered the value of externsive training while preparing for RTR and even at the sprint distance you need to train, train, and train some more. 

Congratulations!  And enjoy your next few races.
2009-06-03 11:35 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Get Fit Kentucky Rss Feed